Mirage63

I get a gear check in the PLANE

I try and get one everytime. I ask the person behind me. If I don't know them I will check behind them. Interesting point. The color is so faded in my window that it almost always "looks" white. - it s/b black. 90% of the time when I ask what color it is, I get a mumbled reply.

It seems to be cheap insurance to get a fast check. Has anyone heard of a accident CAUSED by a gear check? We've ALL heard of accidents that could have been prevented.

This used to be pretty uncommon at my home dz but people seem to be doing it more and more. I'll occasionally ask for a pin check but only if I think I might need one (if I've been sat with my back against something or if people have been moving around alot) and only if there's someone that I know and trust to do it.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

on my vector 2 from time to time when people would check my reserve pin, they would slap/thwack the reserve pin cover and I noticed the plastic started deforming and would probably of started cracking. Instead of slapping the rig why not just pat the person's arm or say "you're good", etc. :S

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

I get a gear check 100% of the time.
I have noticed that when I ask for a gear check, other jumpers start looking at their gear. I guess it wakes them up when they see me having a check done.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I get checked 100 % of the time before getting in the plane, either by my jump partner or a JM.

And there's nothing wrong with glancing round on the way up - look for mis-routed chest straps, etc, we spotted a SL progression student with a helmet on backwards once [:/]

peace

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I thought most students wore pro-tecs. Kinda hard to get that guy on backwards.

You'd be surprised. Do not underestimate the power of a skydiving student to do something totally unexpected.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I thought most students wore pro-tecs. Kinda hard to get that guy on backwards.

You'd be surprised. Do not underestimate the power of a skydiving student to do something totally unexpected.

i would also like to add to this to not underestimate ANY jumper to do the unexpected - we all know about the poor camera guy who got in and jumped thinking he had a rig on and didn't - extreme case, but it happens.

No one is exempt from a momentary lapse in concentration, so students, look out for everyone in the plane, even if that person does have thousands of jumps. Don't fiddle with their gear, but do speak up if you see something you think doesn't look right. If my chest strap was misrouted and you saw it, i'd want you to ask questions, rather than sit there in silence thinking you were being stupid for commenting on an "experienced" jumpers piece of kit.
If in doubt, ask. There are no stupid questions.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I check my gear 100% on the ground when I first get to the DZ and turn on my Cypress. Again, right before I board the plane, and then I ask someone I trust and know to check my gear when getting ready to go on jump run. So, 100% check for me.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

>Has anyone heard of a accident CAUSED by a gear check?

Saw a scary gear check a few weeks back. A jumper opened another jumper's reserve flap and began trying to pry up the cable going to the pin. It almost looked like he was trying to do an umpromptu Capewell ripcord pin swage test, or trying to unbend the pin or something. He did that a bit and was apparently satisfied, because he closed the flap and pronounced it good. One of the reasons I'm glad people can't get to my reserve pin.

The color is so faded in my window that it almost always "looks" white. - it s/b black. 90% of the time when I ask what color it is, I get a mumbled reply.

Ink is cheap, use a marks-alot! There isn't a lot of solice in only knowing that your pin looks good! Uncocked pilot chute in tow![:/]

Ink is cheap, use a marks-alot! There isn't a lot of solice in only knowing that your pin looks good! Uncocked pilot chute in tow!

Spectra is cheap also, if your kill line has shrank, have it replaced rather than just marking a new spot on the line. That eventually will cause a pilot chute in tow also.
Fly it like you stole it!

I don't always get a gear check. Stories like the one Bill Von tells scare me. I came from a dz that had a kingair where we sat on the floor and I don't think I received a pin check ever. I now get a pin check if its someone I know and I trust. On the other hand if I'm not confortable with someone checking my gear I don't let them mess with it. I don't think that its any safer going out the door wondering what the hell they were doing back there.

It depends on who I'm jumping with. Most people don't know how to close the flap on a Racer properly, so I usually do my own pin check. If there's someone I trust, I'll have them do it.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville