dkf1979

what is a hop n' pop

It's my next jump. Basically it's a solo done at about 5,500 feet. I'll give you all the etails next Monday after mine.

Have fun, be safe and stick with it. It's worth it.

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

It's my next jump. Basically it's a solo done at about 5,500 feet. I'll give you all the etails next Monday after mine.

Not necesarrily from that High. I have done hop n pops from 3800ish. They are nice on days when the cieling is low. I personally will get out if we can get 3000. I know a lot of people will get out at 2000 but thats just to low for me.

A hop n pop can be a get out and pull right away or a few seconds delay. You will have to do a hop n pop as part of getting your A. The idea is to get out stable and pull right away. The exact way that you do a hop n pop will be explained by your instructors when it comes time for you to do your first one. The first goal of a hnp is to get you used to getting out low in the event of an aircraft emergency. The side effect is that they are nice when the weather sucks and you just have to jump.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Went to the DZ last saturday along with 4 other skydivers. Low clouds all day so we did H+Ps. Its the end of the season in Canada and we don't get much good weather in November so we all really wanted to jump no matter what. Altitudes ranged from 2800' to 4000' and we had a blastB|.

The other good thing about H+Ps especially on a cessna DZ is the short climb to altitude. We took off, jumped, packed and took off again inside 1/2hr:o. Where regular turnaround times for the plane to 12000' at our DZ are 1/2hr:S.
Flying Hellfish #470

5,500 feet, hell that is chunk something out the door and turn points altitude! A hop-n-pop in my eyes is more like a jump between 2K and up to 3.5K where you go out and just like was mentioned, get stable in the wind and pitch the PC.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Hell, we expect four points from a 4-way from 3,500 feet. 5,500 is nosebleed freefall territory by comparison.

At 2,500 feet you are limited to not much more than playing with the canopy, but I have seen a jump made successfully at 240' AGL with CRW gear from a C-185. 10 seconds from the step to the peas.

Blue skies,

Winsor

During Rantoul of this year, due to a low ceiling I did a flop n' pop out of Mullin's King Air and I was in his plane for less than one minute before it was time to exit. I didn't catch the exact altitude that we jumped from, but it was likely some where between 2000 and 2500 feet. There was no issue here with executing a successful flop n' pop except that I didn't have much time under canopy from opening until landing. :o

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

A hop and pop is where you have exited the plane and been able to deploy your canopy above 2000ft - to comply with BPA regs. A display practuce jump is what you call it when you haven't exited high enough to do so and don't want to get grounded :P
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

Hell, we expect four points from a 4-way from 3,500 feet. 5,500 is nosebleed freefall territory by comparison.

That reminds me of a boogie that was clouded out about 7 years ago in Oregon. The DZO wanted to get people up in the air and started flying the 182 for free all day. We were getting out between 2500 and at the highest 3000.

It started as solos then progressed to 2 3 and finally 4 way exits. There were 2 4-way "teams" (very loose term here) that ened up turning points, yes broken by 2K. Both groups could not get the 4th point but made the 3rd with only a grip or two away from a 4th. When one of the teams landed we said we had the 4th point and the other group called BS since they could see the 4th point was not completed from the ground, a grip was out. At this point we turned our attention to the hit-n-chug competition...

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

>Hell, we expect four points from a 4-way from 3,500 feet.

In a now-infamous jump at Lost Prairie we managed 7 points from 4000 feet. Unfortunately that left us breaking off at just over 2000, and the lowest puller was open by 900 feet. The two people with cypreses had dual deployments; those of us wise enough to take their backup rig with fast-opening main and no AAD were open by 1500 feet. (Not that there was much wise about that jump to begin with.)

The best "Hop N' Pop", pulling as soon as you exit, I've done yet was from 9500ft doing a cross-country to the DZ from 7 miles out when the winds were +50 mph at the top a few weeks ago. Eight of us took 2 182's, setup a nice, tight two plane jump run and jumped all together and "Hop N' Pop", we all flew back at almost sunset, we left our toggles set and flew with our rear risers to save altitude. It was a little clouldy midway back and the views were great, everyone made it back to the DZ, it was a good time.

From 3500 to 5000 feet? Sounds like turbine snobs.

Hop 'n pop for us has always been 2000 to 2500 feet. But strictly, it can be from any altitude (high altitude hop 'n pops are fun and mean a long canopy ride. It's also the freefall portion of most CrW jumps...), it just means dump immediately. That means you need to be stable right at exit and that should be the goal of the test!

If you have to 'get stable' please do so (be safe), but it's not then a hop 'n pop, just a short delay. Try again. {{Although you'd likely get passed anyway for showing the good judgement of getting stable first (as a qual requirement, I expect you'll do it from 5K or so).}}

Practice being stable on "GO". then you can deploy right away if you ever have to. For your test, it's really a drill to see if you have good enough body position on exit to survive a low altitude emergency exit....

good luck, have fun

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

We use Hop n pops at our dz

1 to practice canopy skills
2 to save cash and skip altitude (cessna dz)
3 to still get jumps out of an otherwise cloudy day ...

If the clouds are two low for much free fall but still skydiveable..We use the term "Hop n' poppable"

I travel the land, Work in the ocean, Play in the sky