riddler

Pull lower in the winter?

You know the story - it's cold at altitude, but it's even colder under canopy. You want to reduce canopy time to stay warm. You've been meaning to get those PolarTek gloves, but haven't gotten around to it.

So do you pull lower? Or do you play it safe?

Me? I don't like groundrush, so I always try to pull at 3,500.

Well being located in southern California, it really isn't that cold, and we lose maybe one or two weekends due to the weather...

So pulling low would not be that big a deal here...

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Here's a scenario for you...you're cold you decide to pull lower to "shorten" your canopy time. You reach into pull, but because your fingers are a little cold...you miss the pud.

Just sounds like an incident report doesn't it????

No thanks. I'm with you, I'll stick with pulling no lower than the 2,000' allowed for my D license.

When I took Hooknswoop's canopy control course last February we did a full altitude hop n' pop in the cold (and yes we all froze to death). But that was from 12.5k AGL. If at all possible, I will maintain my 3k (or 3.5k) normal pull altitudes no matter what season it is. Yes being under canopy in the winter is cold, but we either need to wear more appropriate clothing or just don't jump. Going low to stay warm just doesn't make sense.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

It should not matter what time of the year it is. You should have a personal pull altitude that is acceptable with your current license and skill level. Regardless of the temperature. For instance (just an example~go with it) if you absolutely knew you where to have a malfunction on a particular skydive at what altitude would you pull? Well that should be the altitude you pull at on every skydive whether you know you're going to have a malfunction or not and regardless of the temperature.

i pulled at 6 on saturday to test-fly my new crossfire. it was about 0 at the altitude :)
pretty freaking cold ...

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

I pull lower in the winter, but not for the reason you think. I still pull at the same indicated altitude, but air is denser at lower temperatures. So, the indicated altitude is higher than the actual altitude when it is colder than a "standard temperature" day.

If it's cold enough to worry about getting cold under canopy, I'll be in front of the fire, pulling on a cold beer.

Do like I do, just jump where it's warmer and then you don't have to worry about getting cold.

That said, pull time is pull time. Doesn't matter if it's cold.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I still pull at the same indicated altitude, but air is denser at lower temperatures. So, the indicated altitude is higher than the actual altitude when it is colder than a "standard temperature" day.

Ummmmm, am I mising something here, Gary?

Do you propose that our altimeters are measurably inaccurate based on temperature? Are you talking about more than a "few feet"?

I check my alti against the one in the plane (C 182) and be it 0f at the top or 80f at 3k the differential is ALWAYS only our elevation ASL - give or take what I'd call a 'reasonable visual error'. In my case our DZO is a 'convenient' 750 ft and both my altimeters (ALTI III and an FT-50) calculate consistently whether it be - 0 fht. at the top on an early spring day or over 100 fht on a hop n pop in mid-July.

While you may be technically correct, I think your answer might confuse some people. If you are presuming more than a few feet (ie a split second at terminal velocity) you've got me confused too. Not that I want to make too much of it but I AM curious (I guess I'm just a detail-geek someties) ;)

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Cold what is cold? You see here in AZ when you feel the heat rushing up it is time to pull... lol... well it is getting a lot colder than last month's 116 now it is 75ish and even colder at night, believe me it is freezing after the sun goes down. However, I do have to say, if you are cold under canopy from pulling at a safe altitude, don't pull any lower, just make your canopy ride faster...dive that canopy up high, and when you get to your landing pattern stop and do what your experiance allows. Don't sacrifice saftey for a few minitues of being cold...and buy some gloves!

I jump in Chicago, there aren't that many DZ's that're colder then it is here.

I would never even contemplate pulling lower because of the cold. It seems like an incredibly stupid reason to pull lower.

If it's too cold to jump, don't jump. If you're going to jump, jump safely.

If anything, we should be pulling higher if we're wearing gloves we normally don't.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I used to love ground rush. I have several sub 2 grand to initiate deployment. Stupid, sure. Fun, yep.

Now, in a Bird Man, I'm back pulling quite high, and will be for a very, very long time. Yep, I only get cold under canopy now. [:/]
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

The aircraft altimeters are also off in the same way. All of these are just measuring a change in pressure. I'd have to go look it up, to know how much, so I'll let you search it out. Maybe google for altimeter error with temperature, or some such. My recollection is that, at extremely cold temperatures (what those are, I don't know), the altimeter reading can be off by 10%; PV=nRT says about 0.35% error per degree C deviation from the "standard" temperature of 15C. OTOH, the air is more dense, so you will be falling slower.

If jump run is at normal altitudes (4k-15k) My pull will be around 3000, sometimes a little higher, sometimes a little lower. If I exit at lower altitudes (2100 to 2500) I will take a longer daley bringing me to a 1800 to 2200 pull altitude. Reasoning behind this. My body hasn't built up a lot of speed at decision altitude. I DO have longer to initiate an emergency procedure at 1800 feet if I just got out of the plane than if I just got doing a long skydive at which my speed would be in the mid one hundreds. Its all comfort level and experience. Not very many people I know will jump out of a plane unless they are at least 3000. and thats fine, thats thier comfort level.

nic

It should not matter what time of the year it is. You should have a personal pull altitude that is acceptable with your current license and skill level. Regardless of the temperature.

If you jump a lot in the winter, where the temperature is really cold ( like here in Canada [:/]), i'd say it's better to pull higher than your normal pulling altitude. Winter jumping is really a different game. You're wearing thicker gloves. You're wearing thicker clothes too. If your gloves are too thick, you may not have the same feeling in your hands, and you may find yourself not able to pull at all. Also, thicker clothes will make you reach for your PC, at a different place than you normally find it.

Two seconds here, four seconds there.......... time is running out when you're low..... [:/]

Play it safe. When you're doing unusual jumps, pull higher. :)
;)

Yves.

Wear poly-pro or skin tight jogging type therma underwear (Tops and Bottoms) under your regular clothes/jumpsuit with thermo gloves, and a turtle neck long sleeve shirt. I just jumped last weekend in 15 degrees at 10,500 altitude, and I wasn't even cold or feel any cold air. I also wore a full faced helmet as well. Didn't even feel the cold in freefall. Pulled at my normal A license altitude (3,000 AGL).

Rylord
Kentucky Skydiving Center

Wearing extra equipment (clothing/gloves) I'm not used to and recognizing that reflexes are s l o w e r in cold weather ...I would pull a bit higher, perhaps.

Michael

You know the story - it's cold at altitude, but it's even colder under canopy. You want to reduce canopy time to stay warm. You've been meaning to get those PolarTek gloves, but haven't gotten around to it.

So do you pull lower? Or do you play it safe?

Me? I don't like groundrush, so I always try to pull at 3,500.

. However, I do have to say, if you are cold under canopy from pulling at a safe altitude, don't pull any lower, just make your canopy ride faster...dive that canopy up high, and when you get to your landing pattern stop and do what your experiance allows.

nah, I tried that last weekend. Doing spirals in the cold weather isn't exactly pleasent. kinda took my breath away.

but to answer the question, I don't pull any lower when its cold. Its only like 30 seconds longer under canopy, but you save 6 seconds of freefall which you could use to save your life.

MB 3528, RB 1182