schattenjaeger

How far do YOU drive to get your skydiving fix?

Now about 8 minutes but a couple of years ago I lived in Vermont and drove 5 hours on every day off to skydive at CrossKeys. Fortunately I had two days in a row off so I had a little rest time inbetween.

And yes, I know that I drove right by the ranch and a couple other Dz's to get there, but it was worth it.

150 K. to and fro. That's 93 miles each way. Takes me a little over an hour and a half if I step on it.

Then there's are 3 that are closer than that and two which are about as far away. Of course I haven't been to any of those 5 since I'm still in AFF. But I think it's safe to say that there's enough to keep me satisfied for the time being.

Since I don't have a car here in AU....
10 minute taxi drive to rail station (plus 30 min WAITING for the damn taxi)
1 hour train ride to city (may have to wait for train to arrive)
1 hour bus ride to DZ if I can't arrange a pick up(also waiting for bus)

Once, because the taxi didn't arrive and a massive 3 car pile up, it took SIX hours....then I got there and it was overcast and I only got one hop 'n pop fun jump....and this is on my BIRTHDAY!

-Alex

Its about 6 hours for me each way!!! One hour to the major airport, a 4 hour flight, and one hour to the dropzone!!! Or in miles, about 2100 miles away!!! I havn't figured out yet why I don't jump more often!!![:/] I really need to find a closer dropzone that I can call my own!!! (I would have a dropzone 22 miles away from me, but I have had ear/sinus infections now for nine months, so I didn't start jumping there, maybe next summer)

1 Hour 15 minutes from Skydive Dallas.

35 Minutes from Caddo Mills (1 Cesna, sometimes two, when it's three, well hell, THAT's a boogie!).

1 hour 45 minutes from Eagle Flight in Granbury, TX (3 Cessna's).

Love them all, but SD Dallas is home.
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Traffic here in the Puget Sound region just sux...so I can get to my DZ of choice in 50 minutes if there's no traffic, or 2 hours+ during rush hour. There's another DZ closer to me, probably a little more than half the distance, but I just love where I jump! :)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

It's about an hour for me:( If I had picked another college I had been interested in, it'd be like half that, but I wasn't doing this at that time

Since I returned home to Oz earlier in the year – only 2 hours 20 minutes.

But prior to that my closest DZ was just north of Dubai. I was living in Saudi. So it was 1100 kms (660 miles) each way – including a border-crossing-from-hell each direction.

Weekends in that part of the world are Thursday and Friday. So a weekend at the DZ started with departing from work Wednesday evening – driving through the night – border with immigration both sides plus customs inspection taking anything from 30 minutes to 3 hours – arriving the hotel by the DZ in the early hours of Thursday - power sleep for how ever many hours until 0800 hrs - jump all Thursday – obligatory food and beer session Thursday night til late – up to jump all Friday – depart late afternoon Friday – drive back with same border-crossing-from-hell on the way.

I always made it a point of there being two of us to share the driving. Nevertheless they were certainly weekends that carried a certain amount of exhaustion by the time be got back home in the early hours, ready to go to the office in a few short hours.

Total distance 2,200 kms or 1,320 miles. Total driving time usually 16 or so. Total border crossing time wasted usually between one and 4 hours.

So it goes without saying that we jumped as much as possible – but sometimes aircraft problems or local skydivers arriving late gave additional frustrations.

So now that I’m home, life has become a breeze as far as DZ proximity.

Blue Skies,

fergs

I just droze 401 miles to jump.....and because of traffic it took me almost 9 hours.:P

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

Exactly 83 miles..one way..from my driveway to the DZ! Approximatly 1 1/2 hours.. one way! And Worth every bit of it! ;)
--------
To put your life in danger from time to time ... breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day trivialities.

--Nevil Shute, Slide Rule