Spatula

How did you come up with the cashola?

Tax refund paid for training, and then I got a second job for a brand new rig working nights and some weekends. It was great paying cash for it. Then after jumping it for about 50 jumps, I sold it and got another brand new rig paying cash. I refuse to skydive on plastic. Credit cards are evil!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Long term plan - Worked hard in high school, got into a good college, got a good job etc. Now vacation time, not money, limits how often I can jump.

Thats the best way to get the cash, IMO. That's my plan. It has kinda sucked for the last 2+ years getting around 50 jumps a year, but I finish school in May and I should be able to jump more often.

As others have said, stay away from plastic. Paying cash is the way to go. It feels so good to pay that last dollar and know your rig is YOURS.

I was in college. I got a part time job. I realized that drinking three bottles of pop and eating fast food once a day was costing me somewhere between $1500-$2100 a year (not to mention making me fat), so I cut way down on that. I started staying in or at least finding free/cheap stuff to do instead of going out all of the time.

So basically I worked more and spent less.

I was in college as well and didn't have a lot of extra money to throw around.

I took the S/L class $150... and then basically I started packing student gear almost immediately. At about 25 jumps I started jumpmastering other static-liners (yes...I know...I know) and that's how I funded my startup as a skydiver. When I finally got my first rig ($750... 1982 Classiflyer with a round reserve, Strato Cloud and no AAD) I was jumping a military (stolen) green flight suit and barely had an altimeter (Alti V) and a pair of goggles. I eventually got a new main (a Pursuit 230 that was used in Point Break literally... I still have it :)
I jumped that gear until I had a real job out of college and got a brand new Talon with a Cypres and a Pd 176 and a Sabre 170...

It's tough to keep current until you get your own gear and get off student status and keep a roof over your head and food in your belly at the same time.

have a garage sale... take some of the CDs you never listen to and trade them in for cash... sell your Grandmother... do whatever you have to but NEVER give up!

GraficO
GraficO

"A Mind is a terrible thing to taste."

Most skydivers are independently wealthy, or have wealthy parents.
Seriously though, lots have quite sufficient means, many more learn quite young, and probably steal the funds from their college finances (provided by mom&dad in most cases).
It really isn't that expensive to learn and get gear.
$2500 will get you your license in most places, and another $3000 will get you some good used gear.
It used to cost me more than that for one weekend racing (luckily my sponsors covered most of that).
It also used to be even cheaper for women. Two reasons contributing: 1. They actually listen and jump without ego, thus learning faster, and 2. After the 7 jump AFF program they had people lining up to jump with them (most of them anyway), which provided coaching that men had to pay for, or do more jumps to learn.
Life's so tough
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

This post is for people who (like me) had/have to beg, scrap, save pennies, and basically anything to get trained, and buy gear.

My question is this, what did, or are you doing to pay for your training and gear??? Just curious. Thanks

I stayed in school, got a decent education, started my own business. Have a kick ass job and enough money to play in the sports I love. Not quite the answer you were looking for but hey... This is my sport, not my job. I fully respect everyone that works in this industry and makes it better for all of us. I don't think I could do it, I skydive to relax, I wouldn't want it to become a job.

Tax returns, cash, and minimal credit card usage.

I used to go for a latte coffee every day. Out to eat frequently. Started realizing that each week that I got latte every day was $20 - a little bit more than 1 jump ticket. So, I dropped my latte consumption down to once a week as a treat, and I don't eat out as much any more. My preference is once or twice a week to go out to eat now instead of whenever I felt like it. :)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Glad to see there`s someone out there who
thinks like me.We re-mortgaged to do the house
so added a bit extra for a new rig!

P.S.Have very understanding missus and am
almost a kept man.

OOOOPS! Coming DEAREST.:P:P

It's about how much other shit you can "cut-a-way" in your life. See Cutaway Movie. No seriously, if it doesn't help you get in the sky.....do you really need to buy ? I quit the bar scene, expensive foods,sold the toys. Sell everything you won't need anymore. Priorities: 1) Save money
2) Throw money and self out of plane like confetti !

lol.

Parents and relatives: Kris, what do you want for your birthday and christmas??

Me: money for jump tickets or altimeter or jumpsuit or rig. that is all.

I also scored a sewing machine and a dustbuster, but I did get a decent amount of cash, paid for two aff levels and my $50 alti on ebay.

This post is for people who (like me) had/have to beg, scrap, save pennies, and basically anything to get trained, and buy gear.

My question is this, what did, or are you doing to pay for your training and gear??? Just curious. Thanks

I have a good job.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I started after selling my condo, so I had lots of proceeds. Thing is, I didn't know this was going to consume me and cost so much... so I wasted lots of the $$ on going out and partying, too.

Now, I party way way way less. I rarely shop. I try to spend less $$ on food, but that is the one thing I am having trouble doing. I am not into eating Ramen noodles, ya know?!

So, most of the $$ I make goes to skydiving, it is what I look forward to all week, so imo it's worth it.

Hopefully, when I am done with my degree in a billion years, I will get a good job and will be able to afford lots more jumps & traveling:D

Angela.

Where did I get the extra cash to jump out of airplanes and buy gear??? :S:S:S

Lets just say I had a strong desire and commitment to find what it was that I enjoyed doing and after my first jump I knew skydiving was something that I wanted to continue, learn and try to master at least some aspect of.

To me the work that I put in was well worth the reward. I started working in the industry after learning to pack which was right after AFF in 96/97. I started packing every weekend and learned quite a bit being at the Drop Zone for a jumper with 7 jumps ... and basically a non jumper for nearly two years while packing. I packed anything and everything I could.

After 2.5 years of packing tandem 421s I was like time to move on to something else. I worked manifest full time and was the office person. It was cool at times but I got sick of being inside all day long, last person to leave while everyone else was on the playground. They TOLD me I was a good manifestor but ... I think I must have become a nightmare after being bitten by the bug. There was no hope for me to stay behind the counter for long. Then working at STUNTS ... Yep yep yep.

Lots to do with skydiving and it is something I have never regretted. For me one sure way to get into the sport was to be around it often, learn as much as I could from others and work hard.

It took me about 2.5 years to save up for all of my gear and I bought a lot of it a little at a time. Luck was on my side when our DZO bought into STUNTS and I was able to get a great deal on an Eclipse container. So it was a bit of time, saving and commitment to make it happen.

Then for fun jump tickets I needed more money than my full time job so on my other day off (one day off for jumping) I washed airplanes, the DZOs camper, the DZ bathrooms (B|B|[:/]) ...
and I never turned down a jump from a girlfriend or a cool guy ;)

All of that just to jump out of airplanes ... :S:S:S Some people would probably call me weird ...The sport is still expensive but still well worth it.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."