zulu

Your most memorable instructor

Most were not "Instructors" but dozens of people over the years who given of their time and effort to help me become a better jumper and I hope a better person. Some have moved on and some have passed on, but I love them one and all.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

My F J I was Rick Liljiquist...

A national RW judge and all around nice guy.

I'm told I was the reason Rick stopped jumping though.

The evening of my introduction into the sport, Rick
another student and I celebrated perhaps a bit too much!

I returned to the dropzone the next morning to find the
other student still face down in the peas where Rick and
I had left him...and was told I would be continuing with
a different instructor as Rick was recovering in the
hospital from injuries resulting in his snapping
off a phone pole driving home.:o

My 'new' instructor was Bert Beverly D-288
who was also teaching his son Neil...
Neil went on to be a Knight as well as a top ranked
Style & Accuri competitor.B|

I was 'less structured' then than now...
I didn't even have a headache! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

1) John Brahser. He reminded me on most jumps that his #1 rule was "Don't scare the jumpmaster." I also vividly remember my hop-n-pop because John followed me out and had a malfunction (I couldn't figure out why he opened so low).

2) Larry Wolfe. After I fought for an hour on my first pack job, I asked Larry what I needed to do to get signed off. He said "Jump it, and if it opens, I'll sign you off." That's the only jump I've ever been aprehensive on.

Thanks guys!
There are battered women? I've been eating 'em plain all of these years...

Marcus Lasar - German Instructor that visits ZHills every winter. I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that I would not be skydiving today if it weren't for him.

Laurie Clark - Had to pull for me on my AFF Level I, so I guess I could say I wouldn't be jumping if it weren't for her either. ;)

Paul Meagher - I think I've only jumped with Paul twice, but it was more his words of wisdom on the ground that makes me appreciate him.

Sally Hathaway - Helped me out in the tunnel, and anytime I needed someone to talk to about something after a jump. Very nice lady...very busy lady...yet always finds the time to help. :)

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Stewart Cavanaugh for giving me the confidence through my first jump course that I could do this. And for many tales sober and otherwise of his 25+ years in skydiving.

Yohan for being a crazy south African

Jim Vance for telling me to have fun and boosting my ego a bit. I still can't track worth a shit Jim!

Never go to a DZ strip show.

Some of my more memorable instructors...

Vinny: The guy who talked to me as I was screaming on my cutaway. His voice in my ear convinced me that actually using the steering toggles on the reserve would be wise. He'd take all the time I needed every time, explaining over and over how things worked. He's now one of my riggers

Ed: Calm, cool, funny, sweet, sincere, caring. Managed to get me into the plane using all the tricks in the book, and inventing a few along the way (I was having a hard time walking to the plane once, so he turned me around while we were walking, ostensibly for a gear check, and backed me to the stairs and into plane....)...dude rocked.

Clint Clawson: Most memorable moment was when we were doing the high alti clear and pull. I left first, opened into an empty sky...and then here he comes, zooming at me. Terrified me until I remembered it was CLINT! and he wouldn't crash into me. Played follow the leader through the sky, and I learned more about flying a canopy in that 12-15 minutes then I've ever learned since. Great smile, too...

Michael Owen: Has continued my instruction, and makes time for me always. His confidence in me - even when I tried to kill him - is amazing, and has helped me continue to progress, even though I'm not in the air terribly much.

Mary SantAngelo: Wisdom, friendship, and amazing strength. I can't wait to actually get some air time with her (May, right??)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

For my L1 jump, I would definitely say that Captain Ron was awesome! He had an amazing ability of calming me down and making me smile.
As far as L4-L7, in Eloy, I would say that Greg Foster and Tim Strauss were awesome! They taught me to relax and have fun!..and they were very encouraging and supportive as well.B|

Probably my most memorable instructor although I'm not sure he had a rating, would be Darren Siaf (sp). He is one of the guys early in my jumping that I learned a lot from.

The next person would have to be Tom Noonan (lawndart21), even though just mentioning this will probably grow his head to astronomical proportions that all he will only be able to do head down jumps from now on:P
------------------------------------------------------
"From the mightiest pharaoh to the lowliest peasant,
who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" C. Montgomery Burns

Mary SantAngelo: Wisdom, friendship, and amazing strength. I can't wait to actually get some air time with her (May, right??)

:$ It's a date.

I read the title of this post and I thought, okay, I'd like to post some of the people that have helped me in my skydiving. Not my instructors, but they have giving me lots of pointers.

Kate Cooper: Just listen to her in a dirt dive and you learn so much.

Jan Myer: Another one to listen to if she's ever your plan captain.

Gail Sims: Way back before I was ever ready for big way stuff, I was on a big way. Gail had to cut me, and when she did the dirty deed, she was crying. I just hugged her and thanked her, cause I knew I wasn't ready for those jumps. I learned so much about caring from that.

So many more, but those are the ones that stick out in my mind for me. I learn from every one, every time I make a jump.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

> Who was your most memorable instructor?

Bob Sinclair. I worked for and got to hang out with
him and Dave Burt in the 60's and learned a huge
amount.

Also Bud Kiesow, D-55, for lore, attitude and perspective.

And Richard Economy, D-115, for that and for showing
me the idea of flying no contact. We used to call it
hovering.

Skr

Doug Berrick who owns Skydive Santa Rosa now and Monique Sayre who happens to be one of the current owners of Hollister where I learned had the biggest impact on me through AFF. My most memorable and favorite AFF jump of them all was my Level 1 with Kirk Osgood and then owner Greg Nardi. Funny fa-kin guys;)...

Good memories... Dang this warrants a beerB|.

Matt Melencon. He started me down the RW path immediately after AFF, teaching me the raw non-AFF basics that others have built upon. I feel a great deal of gratitude towards Matt. I haven't seen him in years, but I'd like to thank him for taking an interest.

Annette at Sky Dive Ogden.... I still hear her voice in my head when I am about to or thinking about to.. do something stupid Fantastic Instructor and an Amazing woman.

Yes, she is! Annette rocks!

My most memorable, Nickie Fegan at the Ranch in New York. Awesome instructor! Also, Kim Hager and Linda "Waz". They were all great!

Blues,
Nathan

Edited to fix the bold type
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Al Stephens (RIP) - FJC, JCC, ICC, rigging, Lancaster Bomber, what not to do...

Steve Rafferty - Did my back loop level with me. Later on I did tandems out of the same plane with him. Awesome instructor. Excellent skydiver. And he's a damn nice guy.

Josh Gwiazda - Technically he wasn't one of my instructors... but I learned an incredible amount about instructing working with him, and quite a bit about life spending time with him. Awesome instructor. Excellent skydiver. One of my closest friends.

Kate Cooper - Again technically not one of my instructors, but you can't work with her five days a week for 5+ years without learning about gear, big ways and skydiving in general. Incredibly awesome skydiver. Incredibly awesome person. I consider myself very lucky that she's also a good friend.

Cris Irwin. 1st AFF jump reserve side. Nervous as hell. On the creeper he looked at me and said, " piece of cake Kevin, don't sweat it". Josh Dolan. Even tho we have had a falling out he taught me a lot.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Eddy "Mango" Lopez

From my early AFF jumps, through molding me into a Golden Knight Demonstrator, he taught me so much that has stayed with me to this day.

He is like a brother to me now, and many of the lessons he taught me outside skydiving I will never be able to repay.
Arrive Safely

John

I have to agree with Skiihi - each and everyone of the instructor at Elsinore rocks, each taught with his/her own expertise:

Yoyo - was a total comedian, kept me laughing to keep my mind off of being nervous. He was also my videographer...explained in details of things that I needed to work on.

Robert & Tom - are extreme patience and thorough, always make sure that I know all my gear & safety checks.

Ellen - she rocks, she kick ass when comes to self-confidence...she created the monster in me!

Jake - is a total sweetheart, bless his heart...he rode the plane down with me on my level 1...hahaha!

Mark (Shark) Guinto - Friendship, an easy going nature and for continuing to offer advice and instruction every step of the way.

Pat - is an awesome photographer, I got some great skydive pictures from him...thanks Pat.

All the Elsinore staff have become my family and continue to offer support and instruction even though I am now licensed. Elsinore is now considered to be my second home, it is a place where I go to learn, relax and be myself.
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492