zulu

Your most memorable instructor

One of my most memorable instructors has to be Kevin Mitchell at SSM. Throughout AFF he stressed that it was my skydive and that it should be fun. It really took alot of pressure off and yeah, it was always fun!

But I'll never forget my last coach jump...I'd been working on fast tracking and just couldn't seem to keep from veering off to the left. Before the last one Snowflake worked with me on the creeper but at the last minute he was needed to jump with someone else, so I got to jump with Douva. I'll never forget nailing that track and flying across the sky for the first time! Then I remembered that I was suppose to be counting...oops! I stopped and pulled at 3 grand. The look on Douva's face during our debriefing, when he told me he had almost reached his hard deck when I finally pulled was priceless! I still feel kind of bad that I scared him, but the accomplishment felt sooo good!

Woohoo! God I love skydiving!

Kirk Osgood: Level 1

Fatherly look and will calm any nervous individual by. Serious looking always and highly professional in your teaching and instructions. Your clear teaching about obstacles and landing on slopes allow me to come back unscathed in only out-of-DZ landing.

Rick Jarmel: Level 1

Sargeant Major style in teaching “Arch” and I think your seriousness in the Arch will go a long way for me. Thanks for pulling the rip cord in my maiden jump. You are split seconds ahead of me from Video.

Kimber: Level 2, 3

Another fatherly looked and seasoned JM with a calming effect for any first timer.First one to teach me how to thoroughly check the parachute. You drilled very serious instructions about safety and dealing with situation in skydive into my head and I always will remember that.

Sebastien: level 3,4

This is the JM that boosted my confident in my level 3 and level 3-4. The most cheerful skydiver got to be you and made many humorous comments when you are around.

By the way, sorry for pulling your thumb in my level 2 jump. I thought it was the ripcord!(of course I have to repeat that level)

Monique: Level 2,3,5,6,7

I had many enjoyable jumps with you. Your safety safety safety instruction for my future jump elsewhere is excellent and it will always be remembered

I must say that all my instructors at Gold Coast in Mississippi were great. However there is one that does stand out, Paul Cozic AFF levels 3,5 & 6. You don't come across people with so much zest for life often, so when you do they stand out. He made me laugh and feel comfortable and confident on all my jumps. Oh ya, He's not a bad skydiver either.:D

Blue skies,
R
One must ensure that his or her spirit is never broken......Samurai Maxim

Tony because it is all his fault that I am hooked and he still worries about me. (He was my tandem and ground school instructor and a dear friend).

Rusty because he makes it fun.

Bob because he can fix headstrong students, still asks me if I have gotten a gear check, and has made sure that I didn't downsize too quickly. Plus my favorite AFF jump was my "get Bob" jump that made everything click.

Grant because I have learned more about how a canopy works from him than I could have without him.

Rob Mengle. His total commitment and enthusiasm always impressed me. One of his favourite sayings upon landing was "Skydive! The ONLY way to travel!".

Rob later moved to the US and he went in with a plane on take off in the mid '90s (the details escape me). He was quite a character.

I have several favorite instructors:

First Tandem: Rook Nelson. Was able to put me at ease about what I was about to do. I passed out about 10 sec after getting under canopy--those old tandem harnesses pinched off my femural arteries...

AFF: CMSgt Robert Holler, USAF, & Birgitte Holmgaard. I'll never forget Bob shouting "Ah s**t, another g*dd**n Officer!" when he found out I was a Lieutenant. And Birgitte yelling at me for flaring too high, as I'd jack up her insurance rates if I hurt myself..:D:D

And my favorite, my Coach Willie Sinsel. He's got the patience and love of the sport to stick with me, and to believe in me even when I don't believe in myself. He's the one who made me love 4-way RW.

Jumpers in general are great people, and instructors are even more special.:)

Sam Gronning, He got me into the sport as he was getting back into it. He helped me relax and have fun, helped me pick out my first rig and has always been a good friend. Oh, and he beat me with a stick when I wanted to quit.
The flying hamster of doom rains coconuts upon your pitiful city.

greg and don at skydive miami (they helped me with my 1st 5 jumps), also fred whitsit from the same DZ, talked to him on the plane, he is from South Africa, Pietermaritzburg... That's wher I'll go jumping next (on saturday, YES YESSSSS), so I'll be sure to think about these guys and him in particular when i'll be there.

andreas (knabe) (posting on the french forum), he is the one (with his wife Anne) who helped me continue in my country after having checked what I had learned from my first instructors.
www.epco.aero

fred fugen www.babylon-freefly.com, my freefly and wingsuit instructor in empuriabrava
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Laurie (Clark?) z-hills...
I did a coach jump with her to get my a-license. I went to her with 20 jumps and a half-filled out card and told her that I really wanted it done. She spent the ENTIRE day with me, going over things on the card, spotting, aircraft stuff, test prep, etc., even though we only did one coach jump. She was just so cool! A top notch dz with an excellent staff!

Christine & Mick from Sebastian.
Despite our differences in opinion on some things later on,,, I really enjoyed going through AFF there! They made it a lot of fun. Mick was a funny guy, and Christine was so reassuring. And, some people at the dz told me that Mick said I was his best student:D The locals & staff at the dz really made my time as a student fun and made me want to continue jumping!

Brian Germain.
An excellent teacher and world-class canopy coach! I was well past being a "student"... but it is NEVER too late to be Brian's student! More was gained in canopy knowledge by spending even just one day with Brian than was gained in the prior 100+ jumps i'd done. You really feel enlightened after speaking with Brian. I can't wait to work with him again (very soon!) and can't wait to get his book (on order)!

Angela.

The tv with the erratic sound system....>:(>:(>:( I don't count the other ones as instructors.

what do you mean with that ?? did not understand... Sorry, just a fish :), and suffering from short term memory loss
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

The tv with the erratic sound system....>:(>:(>:( I don't count the other ones as instructors.

what do you mean with that ?? did not understand... Sorry, just a fish :), and suffering from short term memory loss

Well I am not gonna get too deep into the explanation, but I did a static line progression... thought mostly through a TV with erratic sound and some booklets.:S i signed up for the course at 10.00 in the morning and by 11:30 I was dangling from the strut of a cessna. That's including gearing up and the FJC Class [:/]
Never had the same instructor... and they all were piloting the plane B|B|B|.
I am glad I survived but let me tell you, next time I won't go for the bargain course.
I got what I paid for...

"We see the world just the way we are...

Tom Riddick - For absolute throughness and instruction and never making me feel rushed.

I would have to say Tom too. He gave me a head ache drilling safety procedures into my head. I have a lot of respect for that man.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

I never had a bad one...:)
Luke was always so positive and made us feel like we were real 'skydivers' right away ('We' meaning Joe and I when we started together.) I loved the way he used to review our video and say 'Look how awesome you are!!!' :)
Tyson always explained things matter-of-fact so my logical mind could comprehend the 'why', and still always encourages questions and thinking everything out. Safety was/is always priority, so we think alike there. :)
Tom was all smiles and laughs, and spoke real s-l-o-w and clear so even my little brain could comprehend what we were trying to do. B|

Ben is 'Superman' in every sense of the word...He had such a positive spin on our first coach jump together, "Well, you know how to go backwards!" As I was backsliding like a demon....and our next jump he was very encouraging and said that I put his advice into practice right away...made me feel good! (PS please find it in your hearts to say a prayer for Superman...his battle with cancer has taken a sharp turn. I won't list any details as I have not asked permission to do that. Look at the 'Check on Ben' link on www.skydivesnohomish.com for more info on this great man.)

And Todd...coach jump once, one save (yeah he's my rigger too :)) and some great life experiences to share and hasn't gotten annoyed with my questions yet. :P

I couldn't have asked for a better team to teach me the art of falling out of an airplane more than once...:P

-And those are just the guys I was taught by to get my license. Beyond that, we have some awesome 4-way and everything-else-you-wanna-try peeps out at the DZ. B|B|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I would have to say Nickie from the Ranch. She was
quite talented, quick witted and a pleasure to be around. Another one I remember was Guy Wright,
Nickie was not there. We get out @ 13,5 and I went i out of control flipping like a coin, I finally
get my dumb ass stable @ 8k and when I did Guy
was right in my face with his hands turned up and
could read his lips "what the F%^& are you doing"

Aggie Dave

He took me under his wing and is still teching me stuff that i need to know.

Kyle you poor boy.

as for me, Kirk B was my first AFF jump instructor, my first AFF, after 1 tandem, was his 1000th and second to last before retiring that day. And if he doesn't jump again till then, I am going to try and get him to jump again for my 1000th.

most influencial, MFDammit, my SDU coach. That man made me a skydiver, not just someone who jumps out of planes.

"Sacrifice is a part of life. It is supposed to be. It's not something you regret . It's something to aspire to." Mitch Albom

That would have to be my PFF instructor! He was the best, he never gave up on me, even though at the beginning of my progression i was stimulating an helicopter in freefall and i was visiting every other field but the landing zone. It's thanx to him that i can fly now, he made my dream come true, will never forget him, hope to see him again this season!

Wow I dont know....I have had some awesome instructors. I would have to say DJan out of MileHi is definitly one of my favorites. She explained things great, and was just calm during the whole thing.

Any instructor I have had was awesome.

Joe
For long as you live and high you fly and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry and all that you touch and all that you see is all your life will ever be.
Pedro Offers you his Protection.

All four insrtuctors are from Z-Hills so for anyone there please pass along my thanks...
Karol: Thanks for teaching my ground school...twice, I stil remember everything you tought me, both times.
Eric: Thanks for taking me through most of my AFF levels both times....I'll never forget anything you tought me, and even though I never smiled, I had the time of my life every time!!!
Boxman/Drew: Thanks for the time in the tunnel. I learned more from y'all during that time than I ever thought I could have.

Again, thank you, y'all