RkyMtnHigh

Skydiving Injuries: Truthfully...Do You...

I'm curious about those of you that have had minor or major injuries..what were they, did you allow yourself to heal back to 100% or not. I've seen many at my dz who've had minor and major injuries who have gone straight back into jumping and they land hopping or one footed in order to not re-injure the foot/leg. I sprained my ankle 2 weekends ago and chose to "ground myself" this weekend and it was HELL! I wanted to bite my lip, tough it out and jump anyway..even with the risk that I'd reinjure myself and make it worse and be out for a longer period of time.
Just curious how the rest of you have treated your injuries...

A couple years ago I tore my MCL and did ACL damage. Went to an ortho, he told me that, sold me a very expensive brace and told me I needed two things: lots of time and rehab, that the ACL wasn't blown out enough to need surgery.

The injury was on a satuday, the dr. was on a wednesday and I jumped that friday. It has to be one of the most unsmart things I've done in all of my skydiving career.

Why? Well, I believed him that I didn't need surgery (I actually do) and I doubt jumping was good for it.

Because of that, I got to see my PLC contract go away along with my future of becoming a Marine.

End of story, get healed, the sport will still be here for you.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Kalyne

I voted "Ground yourself & allow adequate time for it to heal?", but [knock on wood] I've yet to really hurt myself. I have suffered minor foot bruising injuries and continued to jump, but who knows how I will feel.

One thing is for sure, if you are going to jump with an injured body part, make sure you are flying an appropriate canopy for your soft landing requirements, and complete all of your flares.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

"Complete your flare"...:D
Thanks Steve! LOL...I wouldn't have a sprained ankle from rolling it in "da peas" (ie: big freakin rocks IMO!) if I did finish out my flare:S. I'll have the "lightbulb" moment this weekend...I'm determined!!!:P;)

About a year ago i was mugged at gun point and ended up getting shot in the right thigh. Luckily for me the guy had crappy ammo and the bullet missed all the important stuff like femur, ateries etc and it went in one side and out the other.

I was admitted to hospital on the Saturday night, had my stitches out the following week and had a physio session a day after that. Against the Doc's advice i jumped the very next saturday. Granted i was on student status, desperate to finish AFF and still flying huge canopies which were really forgiving on the landings.

There is no chance i'd do that today.

Like the other guys said, take it easy, rest up and get well. The sport will always be there for you. (Even if the desire to be in the sky is eating you up!)

Sending vibes your way. :)
peace out
PJ

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Sprained my ankle this weekend myself, yesterday I needed crutches but went to work anyways. Today I am at work and walking but limping really bad. This weekend I WILL be jumping anyways if I can walk without limping. A good brace will be worn too and no more downwind landings for awile. Was my FIRST attempt......:D I crashed!

I'm currently in the same boat as far as being grounded. I haven't jumped since April 10th (longest downtime since I started) and had surgery on my knee last thursday. Doc told me I need to be in a complete immobilizer brace while walking for the next three weeks, but free to move it around as I please while I am sitting around. Quite frankly I agree with him. He had to remove a piece of bone from the patellar tendon where it attaches to the tibia, so if my knee buckles forward, I run the risk of tearing my tendon off the bone.
Bottom line, after these three weeks are up, I still think I will give myself another three to finish letting it heal. Can I put my canopy down in the landing area and be fine? Pretty sure I can. Can I take it downwind, off-field into someone's backyard? Prolly, but I doubt the landing will be as pretty, and I like being able to walk too much to take that chance.

Like everyone else has said so far....we have a lot more jumping left to do in our lives, a few weeks will just make that next one that much sweeter. Best of luck in healing up.:)

It's easy to say what you should do... sit on the ground till you are better.... but much harder to actually do that. I'd say heal up, but I didn't take my own advice. I had a hard opening two years ago that screwed up my neck and spine pretty good. I was jumping right away. Took no time off at all. I was back at the chiropractor yesterday trying to get rid of the pinching pains in my upper back. So... if you are injured, stay on the ground as long as you can.

Yep, we all know it's best to stay grounded until healed, but me too. Dislocated my hip, ruptured my groin, and tore my abdomen (all on one jump). Got a bigger canopy and was jumping 57 days later. Not smart, and lots of potentially negative things could have happened. Would I do it again? Probably so.

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

I must admit, i jump when i'm not supposed to. 3 years ago i injured my knee and was grounded for 4-6 weeks, jumped a week later anyway. I had my gall bladder removed last year and was grounded for 8 weeks, jumpe 3 weeks after the surgery. I'm not proud of my stupd decisions, but you asked for honest answers.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I haven't had a skydiving injury, but with martial arts injuries, my personal policy was to let it heal. none of this "training through the pain" shit.

The one exception I made was when I'd been training for close to a year for the world championships, and sprained my ankle a week before. in that case, I strapped on a brace, walked over to the ring on crutches, competed, bowed to the judges, and grabbed the crutches back from my coach.

It's a simple cost/benefit analysis... is the risk worth the experience?

For a regular skydive, I'd say no. ditto for a regular martial arts class or tournament. but for nationals, or world championships, I'd probably make an exception.

Kalyne,
I know it's hard to do, but my suggestion is to stay grounded till you are 100%. I know it's hard, but why risk re-injuring yourself again?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Did my first IAD jump landed hard and slightly sprained my ankle. Nothing major just a little hard landing. It was the winds that grounded me. After that jump they went up to between 20-27 mph being a stundet they won't let us jump in anything higher than 15 mph. Anyways take it easy get healed up :)

I'd say "ground yourself" and allow sufficient time to heal. The sport will always be there, you need to take care of yourself first.

I broke my fingers 3 weeks ago on a gripping doing a 7 way, it's hard for me to see others jumping and I have to sit & watch....so I went to the wind tunnel to get it out of my system.
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

Before I broke my leg, I really thought I was hard core. I thought I was one of those people who jumps again the first second they feel ready.

But I have to be honest (this question made me think more about myself -- just what I need :P). I really wait until the injury is 90-100%, before pushing the envelope. This was true with a minor knee injury, an ankle sprain, and my tib/fib (I thought that was as good as it would get when I started jumping on it again almost a year after I broke it. But it has still gotten much better since, and continues to improve, 2 years after the break).

A good injury can really change your perspective on jumping -- I'm now really conscious of how the rest of my life is affected of I'm out of commission (I missed out on some really good non-skydiving opportunities when I was laid up). Skydiving itself is much more of a hobby for me now than it used to be, although I still work in the biz.

You have to listen to your inner voice, to know when you're ready. Nobody else really knows how you're doing.

I received a hairline fracture from a bad landing but jumped again too soon and had to go back for a second xray because I forgot to land on my good foot only. Talk about dumb!
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

After a 20 year layoff,took a tandem jump. Winds 20-25 mph that day-landed REAL hard. When my ass and back stops hurting and I feel 100% I'll be back. Why risk hurting yourself worse and having to take even more time off. 1 step forward two steps back doesn't make sense. (I wish I hadn't skipped the last 20 years,but thats another story). Blue Skies to all.
Freedom isn't free. Don't forget: Mother Earth is waiting for you--there is a debt you have to pay...... POPS #9329 Commercial Pilot,Instrument MEL

My vote was give it adequate time to heal. On some injuries you may not recover 100%. I broke a tib & fib on a bad landing. Lots of metal and 7 months later I was jumping, but I didn't jump until I was comfortable running across rough ground (to simulate off DZ landings). If you rush back you may end up taking LOTS more time off.

Well, I just injured myself in February. I tore my aorta, and compound fracture to my right femur. At first, I planned on staying on the ground until I was 100%. Once I got out of the wheelchair, and on crutches, I changed my mind, and thought, just enough until it's healed. The aorta doctor said no jumping (or anything else really) for 4 months (early June), the femur doctor said even though my femur isn't 100% I could go back to doing MY normal activities (yes, i'm assuming he knew normal for me includes skydiving). Well, before I went to the dropzone in the area where I'm going through rehab, I decided to try to climb a tree. I failed at the task, and my upper body definitly hurt. I realized then, that no matter what, I can't go back in the air til i am 100%.

However, I have had minor injuries before this, where I would just through an ace bandage on a sore ankle, or was just careful about what I did. It always worked, but I think when the injuries get more servere, the recovery should be taken more seriously. or maybe not:)
blue skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

You only need one foot/leg/ knee to land.As long as all the good parts are on one side. Perfect landings in the peas or a soft butt slide on a smooth grassy area can be the ticket. Screw it up and yea, you are even more injured. Do it perfect and it's like you won a gold in the special olympics.
I think you should let it recover quite a bit. If you can run 50 feet without wincing, then you might be o.k. . You'll know when you are ready.

I didn't vote because I've done all of the above.

Only you are going to know.

There is some chance that you will hurt something
else trying to protect your injured ankle. That's
happened to other people.

But there is some chance you will hurt something
else trying to cope with freefall deficiency syndrome
too .. being a freefall junkie is no joke :-) :-)

Maybe picking a perfect wind day (in Colorado ??)
and wrapping your ankle really well and PLFing to
your good side will seem to make sense.

It's probably more sensible to wait but we are talking
skydiving here.

Skr

I chose other because I think it depends on the type and severity of the injury. I had a hard landing about 8 jumps back and cracked my tailbone (hairline crack). It hurt like a mo' everytime I sat down or leaned back, but I was jumping two weeks later after successful dirt diving. It never hurt when jumping and I've made damn sure my landings were all good with lots of pre-planning and setup.

dgm
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail