DrStrangelove

When did you move to throwout deployment?

The minute I showed up at a DZ where the gear was less then 20 years old, I was immediately transitioned to throw-out gear.

That was one of the defining moments when the stuff I had been jumping wasn't the global standard...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

-----------------------------------------
If throwouts are so good, why don't reserves have them?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
'Cause it's hard to throw out a spring loaded pilot-chute?

There have been some rigs with throw out reserve PC's. Of course they did not have springs.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

My original dz never transitioned me. All the student gear which was the also the rental gear was ripcord. As soon as I finished AFF in Texas I went to the Ranch to jump with Trent who had also just finished his AFF. Sonic looked over my logbook and gave me the BOC training and then did one jump with me. Everything went fine on that first BOC jump.

Trent and I signed up for the next load and went out as two consecutive solos. I was enjoying the freefall, the mountains and scenery.

At around 5k I pulled and then realized I still had the hackey in my hand! Couldn't have been more than a few seconds, but it really drove home how important repetitive drills are and how strong muscle memory can be.

Blue skies,

Jim

I just can't see how you could have a throwaway which could be activated from 'either side'...

Student rigs for AFF have the main hacky for throw-out on one side (I've always seen it on the right side), and a release on the opposite side for the other instructor. For every setup I've seen, this entails a BOC pouch that is open on one side (like other BOC gear), but also has a velcro toggle (usually a large and colorful handle) on the opposite side that can open the entire BOC and allow the pilot chute to come free. With student gear, you can activate the main pilot chute from either side.

Edit to add - you can see the BOC breakaway on the Student Wings pictured here:

http://www.skydivewings.com/student.htm

Notice the red handle on the left side of the BOC - that allows the reserve-side instructor to open the main.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I graduated from ripcord after I finished AFF and was cleared off of Student Status. I went for the ripcord on my first jump with BOC. It's a funny feeling when you go to pull your chute, and nothing's there! One thing is for sure, it didn't take me long to find it!! 500 feet sure goes by in a hurry!!B|

The closure was 2 elastic loops with a bight of bridle through each one (replacing the 2 loops and pins that had formerly resided there).

My first hand deploy was a Hanbury, but I also remember stowing a bight of the bridle in the closing loop. Closing pins didn't really become standard 'til about '78 or '79. By then too many of us had had our stomachs churned by the pilot chute hanging up, in tow, and then usually clearing. My pilot chute was alo stowed in a pocket between the main container and back pad, with a lead to a pud handle that was velcroed to the belly band (the horror, the horror...).

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

-----------------------------------------
If throwouts are so good, why don't reserves have them?
----------------------------------------------------------------------

There have been some rigs with throw out reserve PC's. Of course they did not have springs.

Hi Sundevil, Hey, what rig was that? It obviously didn't catch on, although I once owned a reserve with no ripcord at all.

I don't know the name of the rig.

OK, I'll bite, what about your no ripcord reserve?

See ya John,

Cliff
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

BOC throwout right from the start of AFF1. Our DZ has Telesys student rigs, which have a handle for the other AFF instructor.

If the 2nd instructor needs to deploy the students PC, pulling the red handle opens the 'hinged' boc pouch so the PC can drop out. see pic attached (my AFF stage 3 i think it was....and for anyone who is curious, the plane in the pic is a PAC Cresco, the brother of the PAC 750 XL :)
Russ

I did 5 static line jumps and then throw-out from there (ROL). I was pumped when I bought a rig with a BOC pouch B|

Peace~
Lindsey
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

The reserve with no ripcord was the chest mounted Jerry Bird resevre, closed by nothing by Velcro. To open it, you just grabbed the top flap and pulled straight up. Just make sure your velcro was in good shape or you could really get a surprise when you opened or landed hard.:D

Student rigs for AFF have the main hacky for throw-out on one side (I've always seen it on the right side), and a release on the opposite side for the other instructor. For every setup I've seen, this entails a BOC pouch that is open on one side (like other BOC gear), but also has a velcro toggle (usually a large and colorful handle) on the opposite side that can open the entire BOC and allow the pilot chute to come free. With student gear, you can activate the main pilot chute from either side.

Oddly enough, I came right across this in the packing class yesterday. Prior to that I had never looked below the BOC pouch, probably because these monster rigs are so heavy.

Next time I'm back at the other DZ I'll see if they have it too.

Student rigs for AFF have the main hacky for throw-out on one side (I've always seen it on the right side), and a release on the opposite side for the other instructor.

Or, you train as an instructor to open the main with the regular hacky from the reserve side.
Remster

Well, since some "old timers" have responded here I guess I will too. I jumped the FIRST hand deploy rig ever made (since we invented it). It had a Belly band pouch for the pilot chute and a single elastic loop closure with a byte of the bridle.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I don't know the name of the rig.

OK, I'll bite, what about your no ripcord reserve?

See ya John,

Cliff

I don't know if it's the same, but a version of the Woomera had a pull-out for the reserve deployment.

I learnt on ripcord gear. Chest mounted. with an SOS handle. Changed to BOC throwaway / TAS after I got my A (as the APF regs say...)
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

During AFF we used ripcord ....after AFF i was trained into a BOC....deployment...

The first jump with BOC and PC was good...did my practice pulls in free-fall and made a clean and successful deployment at 4000....
On my second jump, which was like 30 mins later was totally different....
when 4000 came to wave off and pull...I grabbed around like 4 times and couldn't find the PC.....1 word came to mind, F***K , first reserve ride with only 18 jumps....
I've got 31 jumps now and no more problem finding the PC..

===============================
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

YES!!! The 1976 "Wonderhog!!!!" Belly band pouch, 26'NAVCON Reserve and a Black rainbow Stratostar!!!That was the "Hot Setup!" Still have mine in the archives. Also have a lot of other "old stuff" but that's another story!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out