justaflygirl

At what jump was your first cutaway?

>AFIK, Strong is the only manufacture the believes a sport cutaway will prepare you for dealing with 5-6 handles and the contribed tandem malfunctions that are possible.<

I know Jump Shack did too. And the USPA recommends it.

Ok. *shrug* Doesn't really matter, though, USPA "recommends" it but doesn't require it and RWS doesn't think its worth anything. Since I got rated on RWS, I wasn't too worried about it, nor was my Course Director/IE.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

My pre-second cutaway was on jump 150 (intentional, with a 2nd reserve) testing the skyhook system. the last jump I made (190) I had to cut and open the reserve. I pulled the pilot chute, nothing happened. reached back figuring, maybe I didn't get it out and pull it. couldn't find it. pulled the cutaway handle and reserve. I wasn't sure of the mal I had, so I decided to chop just incase, didn't want the reserve to open, and then find that the pressure had released if I had a pilot chute in tow, just to have two out.
Better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all.

#1 at jump 38. Spun up but I figured I was high enough to kick out. When I finally did I looked and had a stinking lineover and still had to chop it.

#2 last weekend at 684. Pin broke of the bridle. Check your stuff...carefully.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

#545 (or so) from spinning mal. It was a fun experience - as soon as I landed near accuracy circle, one of most experienced dogs at DZ who lurked our 4-way training jump approached me.

Me (showing him both handles): Look Rick, who says they usually loose the handles after first chop?
Him: How many times did I tell you to be lower on exit? ;);)

Jump # 26. I was barely off student status and transitioning to my "brand new" rig from student gear. "New Rig" being an old ass accuracy Talon with a Strong G2 reserve and a Pegasus 220 main. (7-cell, F-111, etc...). No Cypres. I had tension knots on deployment causing a built in turn. I looked up at what appeared to be a good parachute in my limited experience ( and with my limited awareness as a novice ). The turn could be countered by pulling approximately 1/2 to 3/4 toggle opposite the side of the knots. My mistake was spending so much time messing with it before I decided to cutaway. Many students and novices are afraid of their first cutaway, as was I. I was so sure that I would be able to clear the seemingly minor problem that I DID NOT CUT AWAY UNTIL 1000'!!!
No problem, I landed. Everyone was full of questions about why I fucked around with it for so long and congratulations for not dying. I learned from it. It is very easy to lose track of altitude awareness when messing around with seemingly minor problems, especially with low #'s / experience.

#36. Hard opening with a blown cell on a new canopy. Cut it after control check and found it would not be safe to try and land it.
Right side of canopy would collapse when check was being done.Cut at 3.5k and nice blue canopy overhead.
Got a couple of broken ribs from it.

havn't had one yet, i'm at 89 jumps. I'd actually like to just get it over with so i can stop wondering if i will be to handle it.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

i didn't get to witness your first cut-away, but i did see the second one. heck, i couldn't even tell it was you at the time, it happened pretty fast. i still remember chasing that canopy and free bag to the ground. i'm glad my one and only canopy swap is over. hope to never have another....RIGHT! :(
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Jump #7, was going to be my last static line before my first freefall, ironically I didn't have line twists as my previous 6 but had a pressure knot-uncontrolled right turn...ended up being my first freefall aswell.
Second was around #120, premature brake release after the scariest, shittiest spinning opening on my Stiletto 150, (it never opened like that). I didn't pack it but it freaked me out enough to convince me something was wrong so chop-chop!!!
...drags me down like some sweet gravity!!!