Ron

Finger caught in brake line.

Some one PM'ed this to me...So I am posting it for them

This is for "A friend":P

I was wearing gloves for the first (beer) time this weekend, and made five uneventful jumps with them. I was paying special attention while unstowing my brakes on the OTHER 5 jumps. On Jump 6, my canopy was bucking in a strange way on opening, so I rushed myself to get to my slider and brakes....of course, one of the line stows got me this time. It was just the tip of my finger, but still - dangerous enough.

It didn't really scare me at the time...just more of an "oh shit" moment. So, I yanked twice pretty hard and (painfully) got it out.

Looking back, if I were not able to remove my finger from the line, I would have been screwed...I guess. I have no hook knife and it was on my CA side anyway.

I am interested to see what one would actually do in this situation if the option of a hook knife were there.

Fly the canopy all the way in, in brakes???

I hate posting on the boards, because I don't want to get slammed by some of the Sky Gods....so, I'm on the privy here. It would be an interesting post though <>

Don't rush if you don't have to...The bucking may have been uncomfortable, but not dangerous. Rushing will just open yourself up to more problems. *that is not to say take all damn day;) Just don't rush. Smooth, controlled, calm movements

It didn't really scare me at the time...just more of an "oh shit" moment. So, I yanked twice pretty hard and (painfully) got it out.

Good first step, and it worked.

Better first step Don't put yourself into that situation in the first place. Other than that:

1. FLY THE CANOPY AND MAINTAIN ALTITUDE AWARENESS
2. Yank the shit out of it.
3. Try to control the canopy and bring your other hand over, grab the line ABOVE your finger and remove your hand.
4. hook knife it (The line, not your finger;))

DON"T CUT AWAY you will lose the finger.
If you can't do the above, or you get to your hard deck.

FLY THE CANOPY. Bring it in with the wings level into the wind and PLF. You *might* even be able to get a little flair, but it will be painful. Try it as soon as you decide to land it to see if you will have any.

Oh, did I mention don't rush and put yourself into this situation in the first place? I:
1. Open
2. Check Canopy
3. Clear Airspace/Collision Avoidance
4. Turn to DZ or first turn for the spot
5. Stow slider, remove booties, loosen chest strap.
6. CHECK slack in the brake lines and release brakes.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

had it happen once, wearing gloves, took only a quick second to realise what was happening, fortunatly I pull a little higher then some/most. cleared my airspace and used both hands to clear it ... two seconds later it hit me I had moved to fast and not watched what I was doing, if I had needed to cutaway it would have been a bad day, second time I had hand problems, second time I cleared the problem and then thought about how bad it would have sucked if I had needed to cutaway. The first time my main started twisting up and I grabbed the risers to fight it, sure enough it twisted my hand into the risers and trapped it. both times I kept altitude awareness. Lessons learned after the second time
1 slow calm and careful would have prevented the problem
2 I should have learned that on the ground, or at least after the first time

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

Since you mentioned gloves, I just wanted to throw this in.

If you are wearing swoop cords or a camera suit, the loops go on the outside of the gloves. Do not put swoop cords on, then the gloves.

First, if problems occur, you may not be able to reach far enough to deal with them. Second, the problem may be caused by the limited reach.

If you are wearing swoop cords or a camera suit, the loops go on the outside of the gloves. Do not put swoop cords on, then the gloves.

First, if problems occur, you may not be able to reach far enough to deal with them. Second, the problem may be caused by the limited reach.

I wear my swoop cords under my gloves because I don't want the loops out there more easily able to snag on stuff, like my hacky. (I would hate to throw out and bring my hand back in front of me to find I had my PC stuck in it.)

I test my swoop cord length carefully, with a margin for error, to make sure I can still reach everything I need to. So I may be sacrificing some swoop cord performance range for the flexibility and cleanliness I want, but that's how I do it.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

wear my swoop cords under my gloves because I don't want the loops out there more easily able to snag on stuff, like my hacky

Happy and I both a friend dead due to that.

I test my swoop cord length carefully, with a margin for error, to make sure I can still reach everything I need to.

Ask expereinced camera flires what they do. I think most put them outside of the gloves.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

This only ever happens to me when I wear gloves and it's one of the reason I only rarely do wear them. If it's very cold at altitude I will wear them, but I pay extremely particular attention when I am putting my hands through the toggles before disengaging my brakes. This problem can be greatly alleviated if one stows their excess brakeline securely. If your excess is out there flapping in the wind, it's far more likely that you, like a dumbass, are going to reach up and through the excess with your hand as you are trying to grab your toggle. Try to unstow after doing that and you have just created a knot that you will likely not be able to untie prior to landing, particularly under your sub-100 pocket rocket.

Seriously, stow your excess securely and take great care when you reach up for your toggles after opening. I have caught gloves in the loop at least ten times in the 24 years I have been jumping and had to land on rears because of it (with the glove still stuck in the knot on one side) at least once that I can remember.

Chuck

This has happened to me more than once but I didn't panic. A few time it happened I just pulled real hard and it freed. One time, I just took off my glove. I wasn't going to let it distract me from flying my canopy or landing.

I wear gloves all the time and I just don't let them scare me. I know what I have to do to survive.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

I have to admit, it has happened to me a few times. I just did as you suggested, reached above the line, and pulled down, that allowed the line that was wrapped around my finger to loosen and I was free.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Wow, the same thing happened to me this weekend...

I now think twice about where the extra brake line stows and have adapted the way I grab the toggles. My finger is not gonna end up in the lines again.;)

I guess your friend and I should buy the beer in bulk.

wear my swoop cords under my gloves because I don't want the loops out there more easily able to snag on stuff, like my hacky

Happy and I both [have] a friend dead due to that.

Do you both have a friend dead because of swoop cords under gloves or because the loops snagged on a hacky?

I will check with some experienced camera-suit fliers as you suggest.

As there is clearly some issue here, I think I will quit the swoop cords; I only used them because they came with my suit, not because I actually need them for anything. I think they just ceased being a net benefit in my eyes. (The swoop cords on my suit, that is; not swoop cords in general.)

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Ron,

This happened to me a few weeks ago. Had gloves on as well. I tried to grab the line, get some slack and release the twist around my finger and couldn't get it off. I flew it in that way and landed it with some rowing and a PLF.

Thinking about it afterwards here's what I thought I may do next time: Pick up one twist on the other break line as well to get them even. Test my flare a few times up high to see if it flares even.

I have to admit I did not (at the time) think about the risks of having to cut away once in this situation. Is this why you advise to knife it rather than trying to stabilize the canopy by picking up the other steering line as well?
Safe swoops
Sangiro

It happened to me twice so far. Both times it was my monkey-like bony middle finger on my right hand. I reached over with my left hand (with my right hand all the way up to keep as even flight as possible) to pull slack and pulled my stupid finger out.

I wondered if this was a common occurence.

Now I plan to watch where I grab rather than just reaching by feel and unstowing the brakes. Both times I was in the saddle at approx 4,000' but it's something I would prefer to not have to deal with especially at lower altitudes.

Thinking about it afterwards here's what I thought I may do next time: Pick up one twist on the other break line as well to get them even. Test my flare a few times up high to see if it flares even.

That's exactly what I did when it happened to me, no gloves though, but I couldn't get my two fingers out regardless of how hard I pulled. Luckily there was plenty of wind that day so I didn't need much flare to make a safe landing. All I really thought about was making sure I kept the wing level over my head as I came in on approach... I am WAY more careful now when I reach for the toggles.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Do you both have a friend dead because of swoop cords under gloves or because the loops snagged on a hacky?

Swoop cords under gloves.

While I have flown camera suits....I am NOT experienced at it. You best advice is to talk to guys like Tony Hathaway/Quade/ ect.

This happened to me a few weeks ago. Had gloves on as well. I tried to grab the line, get some slack and release the twist around my finger and couldn't get it off. I flew it in that way and landed it with some rowing and a PLF.

You survived...That means you did fine.

Thinking about it afterwards here's what I thought I may do next time: Pick up one twist on the other break line as well to get them even. Test my flare a few times up high to see if it flares even

Great idea. You have to be very careful not to stall the canopy...Try this up high. I tried to say this...But I guess it did not come out well.

FLY THE CANOPY. Bring it in with the wings level into the wind and PLF. You *might* even be able to get a little flair, but it will be painful. Try it as soon as you decide to land it to see if you will have any.

I have to admit I did not (at the time) think about the risks of having to cut away once in this situation. Is this why you advise to knife it rather than trying to stabilize the canopy by picking up the other steering line as well?

Sorry I was not clear. If you can't get your finger out you have to make a choice (Depending on your altitude) Try to cut the line, or land it.

If you can control it and you think the landing will be "safe"...I would land it. If you don't feel good about the landing *and you are high enough* You could cut the line.

For me, if I was high enough, I would cut the line to free myself and maybe cut away. It would depend on what my landing options were. I am at 1.7 on a stiletto.....If I have the altitude I'd rather ride a reserve than to *have* land a HP canopy at a high WL on rear risers only. I use my rears for landing...But if they were my *only* choice I'd cut away if I could.

This happened to me when a packer didn't properly stow the excess brake line on my velcroless risers. (I now stow it myself if I use a packer I don't know).

Anyhow, I reached above with my free hand to take the tension off the brake line, and the finger released no problem.
www.freak-brother.com

I wear my swoop cords under my gloves because I don't want the loops out there more easily able to snag on stuff, like my hacky. (I would hate to throw out and bring my hand back in front of me to find I had my PC stuck in it.)

I test my swoop cord length carefully, with a margin for error, to make sure I can still reach everything I need to. So I may be sacrificing some swoop cord performance range for the flexibility and cleanliness I want, but that's how I do it.

I've worn swoops on almost all of my jumps - they are a terible hassle and I have too many stories of them getting snagged on something. However, you never want to have them under your gloves - as said before, people have died from that scenario. Their are too many ways for your hands to get snagged and restrict your other hand from moving.

Once again, problems only AFTER brakes were released. As far as soop cords under or over, gloves, etc. I've done both. I RARELY wear them under my gloves, as I think they are better outside. I also know someone who threw a hackey through his swoop cord. It all ended up fine (don't remember if he ended up on main or reserve) I also watched a guy without gloves cut-away with a hand caught in his lines. Guess what happened to him! Sometimes the same scenario (as close as it can be) with the same actioins create 2 different problems & outcomes. I also know someone who had a baglock on his reserve because of his altimeter on his hand. So all of you fooling yourself into thinking its all cameras, ringsights, & swoopcords that are bad, how many of you wear an altimeter??? There is always a potential snag point no matter what you wear. Some snag points have happened with the continer the parachute just came out of! Some are worse than others of course. (yes camera helmets usually are about as bad as it gets), but there are plenty of "other" snag points that haven't happened yet. Someone has to be first! You can do what you can to control as much of it as possible. Keep your excess stowed as well as you can, look before you pull your toggles. Thinking that because you wear something, or don't wear something in a certain place, or have no camera is only making yourself FEEL safer about something that might not necessarily BE safer.
I wrote this on another thread a year & a half ago.

Releasing the brakes is part of the opening process if you want to use your toggles......I don't worry about the parachute "opening" I worry about my toggles coming out properly. Again, only once did my parachute not open properly, but 2 times did my brakes not come out correctly. -Tony

My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.

OK, I really don't mean to be a "Richard" however, there are ways to STOW excess brake line. It may take 30 seconds per side but I consider it time well spent.

If anyone need suggestions, please PM me. It may cost a couple of buck, pounds, euros, francs, etc..

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

We live a bit dangerously, let us hedge our bets...

Just my thoughts..

Tim T.
Team Paraclete

LOOK AT YOUR TOGGLES BEFORE RELEASING THEM SO THAT THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN!:P

Exactly, this happened to me on AFF 2. I had on gloves and got my finger caught in the excess brake line and didn't realize it until I released. After a couple tugs, I got my finger out, but the glove was still in the loop of the brake line. I worked on it a little and was finally able to get it out and fly normally. I was thinkning that I should get the glove off when it finally released. From that point on, I look at each toggle BEFORE releasing the brakes. Just made sense to me after that little hang up, I also got gloves that fit my fingers tighter.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

The greatest risk you take in life is the risk you don't take.

This is interesting... so I have to ask a newbie question.

I just finished AFF and am working toward my A, had my packing class just as I was leaving FL and was taught to tuck the excess line into the bottom tab I was setting the toggle in. He also said that they have velco tabs for stowing the excess line too...

Does this really work/help with a problem like this?

Jen
Arianna Frances