SSkydiver

Drug issue.....should i tell the DZ owner???

I don't think it's any of your or the DZO's business. What this guy does outside the DZ is his own business. If he is high at the dz that's another story, but all you really have proof of is that he was growing weed and (assumedly) dealing.

Also, as the post above me said - do you really think he's going to be free anytime soon??
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

Tell the DZO just in case they come to the DZ asking all kinds of questions. The way drug laws are nowadays, they can use any connection, no matter how distant, to implicate others. Warn the DZO.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I don't think it's any of your or the DZO's business.

Bullshit flag going up the pole here. This is something that could affect the DZO if the authorities come knocking. Besides, it probably at least made the newspaper so it is public knowledge.

I don't think it's any of your or the DZO's business. What this guy does outside the DZ is his own business. If he is high at the dz that's another story, but all you really have proof of is that he was growing weed and (assumedly) dealing.

Also, as the post above me said - do you really think he's going to be free anytime soon??

When the house was raided there was no one home. Police were called to the house initially because of a report of gunfire. Bullet holes all over. Got access to the house when they found everything inside. The guy with the rig is still free as of now. The police may come knocking at the DZ to try and find this guy and if there are drugs at the DZ, theres no tellen what may happen at the DZ by police.

When the house was raided there was no one home. Police were called to the house initially because of a report of gunfire. Bullet holes all over. Got access to the house when they found everything inside. The guy with the rig is still free as of now. The police may come knocking at the DZ to try and find this guy and if there are drugs at the DZ, theres no tellen what may happen at the DZ by police.

With that new info - I would tell everyone this guy knows. Don't make it like a rumor mill or do it unprofessionally or tell things you don't know to be fact as fact - but I would tell it like the newscasters do, with words like "suspect" and "alleged"... Perhaps get 3rd party sources, like the newspaper articles, so you are not the “bad guy”. Tell them why they need to know – that they might be suspected. (The cops probably have seen the movie cutaway and think the skydiving rig was used to transport.)

In college I was woken up at 2 AM by my RA who unlocked my dorm room to let the FBI in. The first thing I saw was a tall FBI agent who said, "I would like to speak to you." I said, "as long as you are not gonna arrest me, would you mind if I put on my underwear first?" The second thing I said was, "And (RA) - unless they have a warrant, please knock next time." Then I was handed the warrant. My roommate was the center of a million dollar counterfeit money ring – and I did not even know. If I would have, lets say, broken school rules by having a crock pot of chili (we could not cook, cold food only) in my room, I would have been in trouble myself. A warning would have been nice that the FBI were coming.

T.

I dont really like the thought that they guy under canopy 100 feet away from me on final is high on drugs. I'm thinking of my safety and the safety of all the other skydivers at my home DZ.

Then quit jumping because that happens all the time. You can't atop it. either accept it or move on. There was 2 fatalities recently where the jumpers were high and drunk.

Derek

I dont really like the thought that they guy under canopy 100 feet away from me on final is high on drugs. I'm thinking of my safety and the safety of all the other skydivers at my home DZ.

Jumping to conclusions, aren't we? I currently have beer and wine in my home. Perhaps you better warn my DZO that I might be drunk under canopy.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Get used to the idea that people who take drugs are often the same people who jump.

That isn't news.

Often times you'll see people smoke pot the night before jumping. Occaisionally people die after having jumped stoned.

Presumably people are jumping stoned and not dieing fairly regularly.

Some dropzones do better jobs than other of keeping drugs off the DZ, but never have I been to a DZ that cares in the slightest what people do with their own private lives - as it should be.

Running to the DZO, telling him "Jonny does drugs! Ban him!" will only label you a rat, will earn you no friends, but more importantly will get you nowhere in terms of improving safety.

Now if you knew that "Jonny" actually jumps while stoned, my advice would be very different. If you're only complaining about his lifestyle when he's not at the DZ, then I think you have little to stand on.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Why are you Americans/Albertans/etc. so paranoid about drugs?

The DZO of Cal. City once told me "If I hear of you using drugs - during jumping hours - you are grounded. If I hear of you giving drugs to anyone else, I am calling the cops." Sounds like a reasonable policy to me.

As for the sunset "safety meetings" in the parking lot ... I don't want to know.

Personally I had to give up all recreational drugs to stay in the skydiving business. I don't handle alcohol or tobacco gracefully and giving up marijuana is a small price to pay to avoid hangovers.
I don't care what drugs others pump through their veins, as long as they skydive sober.

What I resent the most about this "war on drugs" is red necks trying to tell me which drugs I can or cannot do!

i recently had a run in about pot, it sux. yes i smoke it, but i don't do anything wrong. i wait until after the jump light is off and the beer light is on. i don't do it on dz property, or have it there. if anyone gets in trouble it's me. nobody knows, nobody gets hurt. it's proven safer than alcohol or nicotine, oh, well. in this case, the thing to do would be notify the people involved, the dz, etc. the feds may come around looking for him. he broke the law, got caught, that's what happens.

I think in this case i'm not going to say anything about it. I used to be a police officer so maybe i'm taking it a bit more personal. I think my beef is not the pot itself but the amount of it. I realize that people do drugs and theres nothing to stop it. Just need to keep an eye out for those who obviously are high.

it's proven safer than alcohol or nicotine, oh, well.

hate to rain on your parade, but no it's not:

Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2004 Aug;28(5):849-63.
Adverse effects of cannabis on health: an update of the literature since 1996.

Kalant H.

Department of Pharmacology, Medical Sciences Building, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada M5S 1A8. [email protected]

Recent research has clarified a number of important questions concerning adverse effects of cannabis on health. A causal role of acute cannabis intoxication in motor vehicle and other accidents has now been shown by the presence of measurable levels of Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in the blood of injured drivers in the absence of alcohol or other drugs, by surveys of driving under the influence of cannabis, and by significantly higher accident culpability risk of drivers using cannabis. Chronic inflammatory and precancerous changes in the airways have been demonstrated in cannabis smokers, and the most recent case-control study shows an increased risk of airways cancer that is proportional to the amount of cannabis use. Several different studies indicate that the epidemiological link between cannabis use and schizophrenia probably represents a causal role of cannabis in precipitating the onset or relapse of schizophrenia. A weaker but significant link between cannabis and depression has been found in various cohort studies, but the nature of the link is not yet clear. A large body of evidence now demonstrates that cannabis dependence, both behavioral and physical, does occur in about 7-10% of regular users, and that early onset of use, and especially of weekly or daily use, is a strong predictor of future dependence. Cognitive impairments of various types are readily demonstrable during acute cannabis intoxication, but there is no suitable evidence yet available to permit a decision as to whether long-lasting or permanent functional losses can result from chronic heavy use in adults. However, a small but growing body of evidence indicates subtle but apparently permanent effects on memory, information processing, and executive functions, in the offspring of women who used cannabis during pregnancy. In total, the evidence indicates that regular heavy use of cannabis carries significant risks for the individual user and for the health care system.

PMID: 15363608 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

it's proven safer than alcohol or nicotine, oh, well.

hate to rain on your parade, but no it's not:

Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2004 Aug;28(5):849-63.
Adverse effects of cannabis on health: an update of the literature since 1996.

I read information here about some adverse effects of cannabis on health. Article does not compare safety of cannabis with alcohol or nicotine. There is no statement or proof in this article that Cannabis is not safer than alcohol or nicotine, so what is your point??

You certainly have not rained on anyones parade.:P

SMiles;)

There still is not enough info as to why the police entered the residence. If they obtained a search warrant then yes the illegal items would be admissible in court. If they did not then they would have to prove that they had to enter without a warrant, such as they thought there may be someone in there of medical attention or has been killed by the shots. They, the police, would then have to make a convincing argument in court that they had to enter. If the court finds that they did not have the probable cause to enter, then the only thing they can do is seize the illegal material and it would not be admissible in court. The rig would not be illegal and he would get it and everything else that is not illegal to own back. I worked as a sheriff deputy back in the 90's for about 6 years and do remember that without a warrant that the District Atty would very rarely look at any case where a warrant was not obtained.

The persons issues have nothing to do with a DZ or the DZ operation. In my book snitches are a dying breed.

What comes around goes around. I would keep out if this it has nothing to do with you. You do not want to be pointed out as the snitich, i know people that would kill a snitch in a new your second.

[Quote]hate to rain on your parade, but no it's not:

Alcohol is one of the #1 killers in America, nobody has ever died from smoking pot. Dont get me wrong you can get cancer from smoking anything, carbon monoxide causes cancer, but compared to :
Damage to the liver, pancreas, central nervous system, heart and blood vessels.
Permanent and irreversible memory loss.
Development of cirrhosis of the liver and cancers of the lung, throat and mouth. (That's right alcohol causes cancer too)
Death from heart and liver diseases, pneumonia, acute alcohol poisoning, accidents and suicide.
It is estimated that 300,000 of today's college students will eventually die of alcohol-related causes, such as cirrhosis of the liver, various cancers, heart disease and drunk driving accidents
Not to mention all of the domestic abuse and other alcohol related violence that happens every day, thanks to legal; alcohol, but I cant sit on my freakin couch and smoke a joint!!!!!

It's easy to turn a blind eye to the things that we do, an look at the risks and dangers of things that we don't.

Alcohol is the #1 killer in America, nobody has ever died from smoking pot.

no it's not, cancer is. http://www.cancer.org/downloads/STT/CAFF2005f4PWSecured.pdf

and this guy definitely got killed by weed:

J Clin Forensic Med. 2002 Jun;9(2):82-4.

Sudden, unexpected death of a cannabis bodypacker, due to perforation of the rectum.

Barnett JM, Codd G.

Mill Lane Medical Centre, London, UK.

A forty year old cannabis bodypacker was found dead in his flat in November 2000, two days after arriving back from a trip to Northern India. On his return he had complained to his family of feeling unwell, although he had refused to let them in or accept medical help. At post-mortem he was found to have 55 packages of cannabis resin in the large intestine, wrapped in cellophane. Subsequent search of the flat by the police revealed the presence of a further 133 similar packages in the fridge, suggesting that he had concealed 188 packages in total. The cause of death was given as peritonitis due to perforation of the distal large intestine caused by swallowing the packages.

broo you should't put your self on the line!!
if the guy is a skydiver, he probably is familiar with this site, and most likely he allready sow this post.

dude if I was you, I will ask the site manager to DELETE this post.
Medusa

Get Killed or Die Trying!
Patent pending ATFK15456

i'm going to risk being off subject a little with one more comment: i can dig up studies that show anything i want to show. there are too many ways to influence numbers and statistics, look at any politician. in response to the part about way too many snitches, i agree 100%. the only thing i was getting at, was to warn people at the dz that the feds may be looking for him. it's not called snitching, that's common courtesy involved with maybe keeping your friends from being needlessly harrassed. imagine if you had a joint for the parking lot safety meeting, and here comes a k-9 unit looking for a man on the run and you go down because nobody warned you to keep it at home.

Actually they do have the right to enter the house. The call was for shots fired and the house did have bullet holes all over the house. No answer at the door so they cant just leave. Entry was made to search for possible victims or even suspects and then all the drugs were found. They did not search for the drugs intitially but because of the amount it wasnt hard to see. Once the drugs are found in plain view, its handled the same was if you got pulled over by the cops for speeding and he sees cocaine on the floor board......car gets seized and sold. I'm not saying anything anyway. This guy has enough problems coming to him and i'm gonna try to buy his rig and sell it back to him so he can at least have that to look forward to. Maybe he will learn something out of it. Who knows.

Actually they do have the right to enter the house. The call was for shots fired and the house did have bullet holes all over the house. No answer at the door so they cant just leave. Entry was made to search for possible victims or even suspects...

Although that does "authorize" an entry, it does not "authorize" a SEARCH, and only items in PLAIN VIEW which could be both readily and easily seen upon that type of entry would be admissable. Even if the "drugs" (cannabis) were in plain view (stipulated, apparently by the shear scope and amount), a further, more detailed search (and/or siezure -especially of other NON-RELATED ...to the entry itself) paraphernalia without due process (especially non-illegal ...like the rig, as alluded to in another thread) may NOT have been in fact, entirely "legal".

This jumper needs a good attorney, not the court of DZ.com ...that much is also "evident"! ;)

Oh yeah, and just happening to state to your DZO that you know "Johnny XYZ's" house was raided, or that there is a warrant now (presumably) out for his arrest, or what have you ...without ADDING any further predjudices to that, I certainly do not see any issue with. Police "activities" after all, are supposed to be "public" knowledge. That is, unless all this transpired somehow in say, Cuba.

-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone