Maggotry

Who's cooler looking - the freeflier or the formation skydiver?

Obviously this is up to individual tastes B|.

Take a dude in this tight fitting black FS suit with all the cool nice grips and booties and eveything. Compare to a freeflier in as suit a la Da Kine. Which looks better?

As a complete newbie I though the FS dudes were the shit. They had the cool helmet and the snazzy suit. The freefliers looked like bums that had camera attached to their skulls.

Now that I've chosen what discipline to focus on I kinda think the FS people look like something that's on the way to a fetish party :P. Kinda style jumpers light edition heheh.

The freefliers still look like bums with camera-craniums but that fit my personality perfectly, so now they're the better looking.

What's is more visually appealing to you?

Who gives a damb what you look like on the ground, wearing color coordinaded jumpsuits aint
going to make you better at your chosen style
Can't see why people always want to turn every thing into a damb fashion show

When I'm jumping with friends the order of the day is jeans/shorts, teeshirt an tevas

Gone fishing

"cool" is such a relative thing

Sure, the FF flyer looks cool. I look a complete muppet in my bright rig and black FF suit with flames licking down each side. You seen how much tie dye there is amungst us? Man that stuff went out in the 70's just about everywhere but in freeflying.

I also think the RW flyer looks... professional, tuned in, there's a kind of image I get of concentration and dedication to the team. RW suits are the absolute epitomy of utilitarianism, how can that not also be cool?

Birdman... hehe, even that stupid penguin waddle is cool.

Camera flyers are damn cool - they turn a skydive into a buisness day down at the photo studio. That kinda skill is always gonna be cool.

CRW dawgs? Sure they're cool - they have knives. BIG knives. And they bind thier risers with crap and have stuff hanging out of their rig as they board the plane. They only jump those big ass canopies cos of the weight of their balls.

And till you've seen a little italian hottie in a skin tight style suit you aint seen shit.

There is way too much focus on appearance and what is “cool” as it is. Being “cool” can get you dead, FS or FF. [:/]

Dumb poll. jmo[:/]

Sparky

"Being Cool" can get you dead.
"Looking" cool is another thing altogether

Sparky is just pissed cause NOthing makes him look cool:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I have no problem with people wanting to look there best on the ground. The suits for skydiving are also very practical and serve specific purposes. As we spend much more time on the ground in our suits, I have Zero problems with people wanting to look good in them.

The old farts only complain 'casue the shite they had to wear was WAY dodgy, and now they're too old to look cool:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

(BTW I'm old too:P)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

The old farts only complain 'casue the shite they had to wear was WAY dodgy, and now they're too old to look cool(quote)

NO, the old farts know that no one cares how pretty or cool you look wizzing thur 1200 feet with nothing out. At pull time who really cares how pretty your gear is?

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

OK I'll bite.

Dude, if you have the dedication to go through an AFF/Static line course, invest in gear, jumps and the time it takes to get anywhere in this sport, you're cool in my book.

Judging by the replies so far i'm going to watch this thread with interest though...

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I think PJ looks cool.

He's got that late teenager 24 year old thing going for him.:P

Me? It's all about fall rate range. I do AFF in a long sleeved T and a pair of Birdman Pantz. 105lb girls this load, 220lb guys next load, no one wears lead. 4 way suits were designed to limit range to help reduce one more variable. To use them for anything but 4 way is silly.
Full face helmets suck when the student starts talking in the door.
What the freeflyer wears works from 200mph down to about 80 something if you wear and use it right. That's the range I want between the door and the floor.

Oh. And anyone who thinks a Birdman suit is cool looking on the ground? Worry about them. Ever hear any ornithologist ever say "See how cool that bird is when it WALKS?"

Cool is as cool does. Rolling around on the DZ using your lower femur as a plow is uncool.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Well I reckon Sparky is right to some extent, trying to be cool can mess you up badly. Hooking it in, downsizing too early, doing stuff beyond your skills... Any of those can kill you, and a combination of them lowers your chances a whole lot. The thing is though, trying to have cool gear doesn't make you dangerous. Sure, people who do the things mentioned above to look cool are likely to have cool looking gear too, but they're not the *only* people who like to look good.

I'm conservative in the air, and I don't try new things without advice from instructors and people I trust but I still like to have smart gear, ie I would attach a camera/audible to my lid securely, but I'd take the extra time to make it look neat.

I bought my gear 2nd hand but I still love the colours and style and it's my baby. To be fair though, I'd have bought it if it was pink (well, maybe ;) ). Come pull height, a pretty rig will save you just as well as an ugly one. I bet we all try and get mud stains off our rigs when we have to PLF it, even the marks that don't make any difference to anything.

I actually think people who take a pride in their appearance are likely to look after their kit well too, technically and cosmetically. The sort of person who regularly and thoroughly checks their kit will quite probably chuck their jumpsuit through the wash every now and then. It doesn't affect how it flies but it does affect how it looks...

Anyway, back to the actual thread - I reckon FS suits look nice, though maybe just because I've got one and that's what I'm into at the moment! Gotta love the way it accentuates *all* the curves [:/]

--------------------------------------------------

'Everybody needs a mate called Dave'

"Who's cooler looking - the freeflier or the formation skydiver?"

Obvious really..

The one with the bigger boobies.B|
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I don't like big boobies. I see what terminal openings do to spectra, kevlar, nylon. I don't like to think about much more than that.

Big boobies are uncool and probably have a shorter shelf life that a European reserve pack job.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I for one couldn't give a rats ass if someone thinks I look "cool" or not. I am in this sport for me, and have no intentions of dressing to impress. If I am doing RW, then I need a tight jump suit. If I am solo, then I wear what is best for the jump(weather dependant).
ignorance is not bliss

"I see what terminal openings do to spectra, kevlar, nylon. I don't like to think about much more than that."

Terminal openings play havoc with chiffon as well, doesn't mean that it doesn't look good on a gal.

But this isn't really why I posted what I did, we both know that....;)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Reminds me of when I was on ski patrol. You could always tell who was from Texas by the way they dressed, they had every thing matching. Those were the one you were cutting up their pants leg on their new ski pants that matched their jacket. Just cause you look cool doesn't mean you could ski:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

the "coolest" looking skydiver is the one in the hangar/on the packing matt or where-ever packing his chute himself - proof he didn't kill himself or others since he left the plane.

well at least that is B| for me
The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

He's got that late teenager 24 year old thing going for him.:P

Now i'm a late teenager? Just when i was getting used to being old! :P

Cool is as cool does. Rolling around on the DZ using your lower femur as a plow is uncool

ROFLMAO! Another tonto nugget :)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Sparky is just pissed cause NOthing makes him look cool:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

The old farts only complain 'casue the shite they had to wear was WAY dodgy, and now they're too old to look cool:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

HEY!
I resemble that remark!

(BTW I'm old too:P)

There is way too much focus on appearance and what is “cool” as it is. Being “cool” can get you dead, FS or FF. [:/]

Dumb poll. jmo[:/]

Sparky

Dude, I don't mean this as being about trying to BE COOL or show off or anything. You're reading me wrong I think. You are what you are and nothing changes it except possibly maybe there is a chance you yourself can change yourself.

F'cked up that sentence didn't I?

It's about what *you* find more visually appealing.

If you ever saw me in my gear you sure as hell wouldn't call me cool because of it, IF you were the type to judge such things by gear. I got some old but dependable stuff that's a bit dirty and far from color coordinated. I'm known for my lack of class and bad temper, heheh.

Again, don't read more into this than "what is more visually appealing".

Thank you :)

What's is more visually appealing to you?

Someone who's very good at what they do, no matter what that discipline of choice is. Be it CRW, Freestyle, Style, FF, RW, Birdman, Skysurfing, Swooping, Classic Accuracy...whatever they're doing, extreme skill and dedication to get that skill is what really impresses me.

I don't give a fuck whats "cooler looking."
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I dunno. Sort of a trivia thing.

In the end it's pointless to care about anything. We go eons without existing, we're alive and then forever without being.

Between the two eternities we find small things of arbitrary value that entertains us in some way. This may be one of 'em.

I'm most impressed with people who can fly any slot on a belly jump and then go fly any slot on a freefly jump and then go flock with the big dogs in a wingsuit and then throw on a ratty looking CRW rig and do fast rotations and then swoop the landing area under whatever canopy/wingloading they want to.

That's what I call cool.

I think I'm somehow misrepresenting myself here. Should have used other words.

My question was basically the same as: 'you think a ball gown is better looking than a pair of tight jeans', but it's drifted towards 'trying to be cool will kill ya' which I in no way disagree with.

In other words, I'm talking about static clothing, not acts as such. I agre with both Bytch, aggiedave, mospary in what they've said. It just wasn't what I was commenting about.

Anyway, never mind. I should learn to be more precise. Just forget it :P