PIZZ

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

> Actually I read someware that Tandem jumping is considered
>hazardess and "experimantal" . . .

I was at Radio Shack yesterday and I read the warnings that came with a TV antenna. They were like four pages long. I have thus decided that installing TV antennas is far more hazardous than smoking crack cocaine on the Hindenburg.

Does it make you too nervous to drive a car, knowing that the only thing keeping you from smacking into something solid at 60 mph is a metal contraption made of hundreds of moving parts?

Hell I'm more scared of other drivers than the thousand moving parts in my car. A quick trip on one of our, so cal, freeways will provide several prime examples of said drivers.

Actually I read someware that Tandem jumping is considered hazardess and "experimantal". Dont know where I read that...

For true scientific experiment you need to have control and test subject. So to test if a parachute does save lives we need to have a control group - ie people leaving the plane without parachutes and a test group - people leaving the plane with parachutes. The test has never been conducted properly, so scientifically it is not proven that parachutes save lives, so I guess tandems might be experimental.

But in all seriousness, most of the people here would have started their skydiving experience as a tandem passenger, and a lot of people are tandem masters.

Go to the dropzone and watch Tandem passengers make their jumps, when you see them landing safely and the big smiles on their face, you might change your mind. The fact that you are on this forum says you do want to do it.

Does it make you too nervous to drive a car, knowing that the only thing keeping you from smacking into something solid at 60 mph is a metal contraption made of hundreds of moving parts?

I dont fly to work.

That doesn't answer the question, and apparently you completely failed to grasp my point.

I'll spell it out for you.

You're comfortable driving in a car, even though 40,000 people a year die in car accidents in America, because you trust your vehicle to perform as expected, and you trust your own defensive driving skills.

You can also learn to trust your parachute equipment and your skydiving skills. Then it will feel just as safe as driving a car.

Is that better for you?

I have to say you guys all have either the biggest set of balls known to man or you're all clinically insane! I chickened out of a tandem skydive a few weeks back. I've been really curious to try it but I just cant pull myself together to go for it. Just thinking that the only thing stopping me from smacking the ground at 1000 miles an hour is a properly functioning backpack somehow makes me a little bit nervous. Cheers to you crazy F@CKERS!

OK. All is good now. You found out skydivers have biggest balls, that's well known all over that planet.

Where else is your problem? Don't know exactly why, but suddenly "troll" is coming into my mind...

And hey, we are no crazy F@UCKERS but, happy skydiving f***I love to B 1.

B|B|

dudeist skydiver # 3105

You found out skydivers have biggest balls, that's well known all over that planet.

{Wendy looks down, checks in pants} Damn -- where'd those come from :o:P

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

You found out skydivers have biggest balls, that's well known all over that planet.

Wendy W.

Wendy W., you're sure you checked correct pants? If yes, just consider that as a fine side effect of hard training in the gym...

:D:D:D

dudeist skydiver # 3105

Wendy W.

Thanks for making me laugh. Every once in a while a troll keeps this place interesting.

Don't feel so bad.... I once saw a 6'-2" tall, 230 lb muscular police officer take a look out the door on a C-182 for his first Static Line jump after the jumpmaster yelled "Put your feet out!", and yelled back at the jumpmaster "GET ME BACK ON THE GROUND, NOW!!"

The jumpmaster didn't argue or say a word except tell the pilot "you heard him, let's go back down".

:ph34r::D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It would sure be nice if skydiving were the same way. Imagine if you start fumbling for the pud or reserve handle at 1000 feet, everything just sorta slowed down and stopped, and they had to get out the long hook to get you out of the sky.

Dude, I totally had that dream last month. I dreamt that I got stuck in the sky uner canopy and they had to get scaffolding to get me down.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

Wendy W.

They've always been there Wendy, you had cajones when this sport was dangerous;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

***Well, if i'm jumping out of a perfectly good airplane

you shuold see our beaten up little "airplane" trust me its feels safer getting out than it does staying in.

lol - reminds me of when i reached the point (somewhere around jump 4 or 5) that I started breathing easier after 1000 feet cos I knew I could jump out if something went wrong with the plane;)
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

See, I think you must have huge nads coming on here admitting to being a lilly ass. Pull yourself together man. Slap, slap. Just find your best pair of brown trousers and get back to that dropzone NOW.

I'm sure you'll find that apart from those few skydivers that intentionally kill themselves, the rest of us do this because we want to live, not because we want to die.

Trust me, you will feel like a walking talking pair of bollocks if you do it. It will change your life.

JohnRich, no I get your point. BUT a car offers alot more protection then a say, a motorcycle wouldnt you say? If your going to collide with another vehicle at 60 miles in hour would you rather to be in a car or a motorcycle? My guess is a car. If theirs a malfunctionin a shoot the only thing protecting you from the ground is your own ass. There is no bubble of protection. In a car you have protection on impact, There's the steel, air bag and a seat belt. So thats my point. ;) I love a good debate!B|

That doesn't answer the question, and apparently you completely failed to grasp my point.

I'll spell it out for you.

You're comfortable driving in a car, even though 40,000 people a year die in car accidents in America, because you trust your vehicle to perform as expected, and you trust your own defensive driving skills.

You can also learn to trust your parachute equipment and your skydiving skills. Then it will feel just as safe as driving a car.

Is that better for you?

JohnRich, no I get your point. BUT a car offers alot more protection then a say, a motorcycle wouldnt you say? If your going to collide with another vehicle at 60 miles in hour would you rather to be in a car or a motorcycle? My guess is a car. If theirs a malfunctionin a shoot the only thing protecting you from the ground is your own ass. There is no bubble of protection. In a car you have protection on impact, There's the steel, air bag and a seat belt. So thats my point. I love a good debate!

"There is no bubble of protection."

There is not a car on the market that is designed to survive an impact at 120mph, or 2 cars colliding head on at 60 mph respective.

Your bubble of protection is psychological.

"If theirs a malfunctionin a shoot the only thing protecting you from the ground is your own ass"

Don't lecture us on skydiving safety, you basically don't know what you are talking about. I mean that in the nicest possible way.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

There is not a car on the market that is designed to survive an impact at 120mph, or 2 cars colliding head on at 60 mph respective.

Each of the two cars would experience the same deceleration as if they had hit a brick wall at 60mph. I guess it really wouldn't matter though B|

Thats not true there is more energy involved in 2 cars hitting each at 60 than either car would feel alone at 60 into a wall... on the other hand hitting a car will give you more time to decelerate and more vectors for the carsto move through to bleed off the enery. That been said A volvo dealer and BMW dealer in washington state each used to have a wrecked example of their products (a BMW 5 series and I forget the volvo model) brand new cars had hit head on each doing over 55(unknown how much over) both drivers WALKED AWAY

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

Kinetic energy is 1/2mV^2. You still have cars going 60mph, you just have two of them.

If you can imagine a plane perpendicular to the velocity of the cars that is located where the cars impact, I think you would find both cars deforming onto the plane and the end result would be the same as one car hitting a wall that didn't move/deform. That is assuming both cars are identical and symmetrical laterally.