biggirl

Big girl looking to jump

Hi, I live the Los Angeles area and have come to the conclusion that i want to skydive. I have called all the places in the area and no one says i meet the weight requirements. i am a big woman who is 6' 0" and weigh about 280lbs. I know i should lose some weight, no doubt about it. But it isn't exactly easy either. Is there anybody on here that might point me in the right direction? Is it impossible foe me to achieve this dream

Thanks
Kim

By all means get in good shape.. beyond that... there are places in the country that will let you jump..

I would think as long as you do a static line progression.. or... do AFF then it would be easier... Tandems.. a lot harder due to the weight limitation.. of the equipment. There are guys around bigger than you that jump all the time. Look for threads on here( do a search) for ANVILS.. its a term used to refer to some who have a bunch of mass for their available surface area( ie drag in freefall)

***Is it impossible foe me to achieve this dream

no ,,,,, lose some weight.. you are getting negative
replies because it would be dangerous for the total
weight of both jumpers. Please don't take it personally, it's a very important safety issue

I have seen 180 pound people taken on tandems. I have seen much larger people that have done AFF progressions or static line. I guarantee you can find someone who will take 280...it will not be easy by any means, but I have seen and heard of 280 pound people taken on more than one occasion. However...mostly for landing impact, it will be very hard on your legs with your weight no matter why type of jumping you are doing... i know that losing weight advice is the last thing you want/need. So ya, losing wieght will make it easier for you...and by all means cheaper...most places over 200 pounds will charge one doller per pound over that amount.

Cheers,
Travis

A tandem (two person) parachute can be rigged up for a static line or freefall jump by a large student. Be aware that it takes a little work, that you're taking a $12,000 rig off line for half a day, and that the control toggle pressure for steering and landing the parachute will be high, so you better have some good upper body strength. Also, depending on your actual build (you are tall as well as heavy), hanging in the parachute harness may be very uncomforable for you.

Good luck. Maybe skydiving will be the thing that helps you get into the shape you want to be. :)

The newest gear has a higher weight rating so check for a dropzone with brand new student gear. I think Elsinore might have some, but am not positive.

Off the top of my head I know that you can take a Vector or Mirage(or any other Cat B rig) and use a Eagle, R-max, PDR or Anglefire reserve to get a legal exit weight of 300 or above. My R-max gives me 317 and I think the upper end of the Eagle and Angelfire lines will give you slightly more.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

***Is it impossible foe me to achieve this dream

no ,,,,, lose some weight.. you are getting negative
replies because it would be dangerous for the total
weight of both jumpers. Please don't take it personally, it's a very important safety issue

Dude that HARSH it's also VERY wrong
Do your home wrok before you post dribble:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

YES YOU CAN......I was 320 when I went through AFF, You will have to do your homework to find a place that has special gear. I used a ex-military MT1-XX canopy until I lost 70 lbs then I bought my own gear. It is a great motivator to get in shape, and dont take no for an answer keep looking. There are many of us that went aff that way. If you have the money to travel down here I am almost positive my Dropzone will do AFF for you.

It really is a question of physical fitness.
Our school turns away many students weighing more than 230 pounds, because few people over 230 have leg bones strong enough to survive hard landings.
I have jumped with a few students in the 250 pound range and my heaviest student was a 280 pound retired rugby player with massive, muscular thighs. It was his massive, muscular thighs that swayed my decision to jump with him.
I was really trying to gauge his bone mass, i.e. were his leg bones strong enough to survive a rough landing? Since it is very difficult to measure bone diameter and density, I tend to judge how muscular they are because physically fit people tend to have more muscle and the regular exercise that builds muscle also forces bones to grow stronger.
In conclusion, a better diet will only achieve half of your physical goals, the true goal is increasing bone and muscle mass. And the only way to increase muscle mass is a regular exercise program.

San Diego helped out a largish new jumper thru an AFF program ( you are not compelled to do a tandem BTW). I'm not sure of the extent or the details. I know he is on these forums and maybe he or his friends can PM you with the details. You can always call them and find out for yourself.

It sure beats traveling out of state to facilities that can do big-boy tandems.

It really is a question of physical fitness.
Our school turns away many students weighing more than 230 pounds, because few people over 230 have leg bones strong enough to survive hard landings

I don't understand this. You say big people have weak legs then link leg strength to muscle. If you look at heavy people, we have some of the most muscular legs around. We have to to be able move our weight around.

It's not os much a question of weak bones but simple physics. More mass equals more stress on the bones in a rough landing.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

She asked if it was impossible.. I said NO it's not
impossible.. Loose some weight is what I said.
Is that harsh or did you not read it the way it was intended. You nor me are TI's, but when the weight limit becomes marginal it becomes a safety issue.
That in itself is not difficult to comprehend. If you were A TI would'nt u like to give yourself a margin of error. Educate yourself before you attack my answer.

*** I know i should lose some weight, no doubt about it.

hey squeak,
this was from her original post.

DUH

Squeak's point was that she already knows this, and you went on to say it anyway, and to call it a dangerous/impossible idea. Higher potential for injury sure, but Aubrey and others have proven it can be done with reasonable risk.

Dangerous? Of course but isnt the sport? Don't we all take the "risk" everytime we go up? Is there a higher risk with her or I? Yeah, proabably. is it because of gear failure? Now i might be setting myself up for flaming here but, if the canopoies are rated for the weight whats the issue? What are the chances of harness failure? Isn't the webbing rated to over 5000lbs? Is it going to fail? Maybe i'm an idiot, but nobody I say NOBODY will keep me from jumping as long as the DZ's let me take the ride. I will say that I am not an instructor of any sort and know absolutley nothing about this sport, but will say i will help anyone get into it if I feel they can physically handle it. Now, pardon me here, if she is a complete 280lbs ball (i dont think she is) Iwould tell her i don't feel it is safe and that will be the end of it for me, but at 6' i gotta belive she looks and is no pysically worse than myself. FLAME AWAY!!!
"GOT LEAD?"

I should have done some research prior to posting my thoughts

Yep.. a very good idea.>:(

I am 6'2" and shall we say I qualify for what are known as 2 Ton 20 ways....( do the math)

I have jumped with Aubrey .... up a few posts... he is fun to chase thru the sky;)

I jump with a group of guys from time to time up here in WAshington.. where I am the floatybutt on the load. I think Ken.. at 6'5" and oh.. 325 to 350 right now.. and jumps a Triathalon 260 in an Infinity rig is the biggest member of the SlotPerfect ( any slot you can get to is perfect:P) team.. I love jumping with them because I actually have to freakin ARCH when doing 4 way.

There are PLENTY of big people in the sport.

I jump an eliptical canopy loaded at 1.5 to 1.. and a semi eliptical loaded at 1.75 to 1 both of them in Infinity rigs.....I just sold my original Tritahalon 260 and Infinity rig to a new guy... who had to have modifications to the rig to make it a little larger in the laterals.. and move the chest strap uo so it fit him perfectly..

I had to start on a halo chute Did some static lines tehn on to freefall i lost weight got down to 250 ibs i jump a falcom 300 also have a pd 300.I have a raven Iv reserve that im replacing with a pd-281 next week.I have to thank larry at richland skysport ,he actuallt got a rig for me to use from another dz so i could get the static lines i needed ...Thanks Larry Ask at some of the dz maybe they can borrow a rig from another dz.

Hi, Biggirl.

As someone who is both a woman and a person who is no heroin-chic model type, and someone who has jumped with Amazon (Jeanne) and had a ball - first time I've arched since aff - it is doable...and it is as amazing as you think.

It can be done - you just have to find a way to do it. Please don't let someone who didn't even know that larger canopies exist sway your decision; find your dream, follow your dream, and when it's time for you to take to the skies in a 2-way, I'll be there!! Rock on!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I don't understand this. You say big people have weak legs then link leg strength to muscle. If you look at heavy people, we have some of the most muscular legs around. We have to to be able move our weight around.

It's not os much a question of weak bones but simple physics. More mass equals more stress on the bones in a rough landing.

Some heavy people are very active and athletic, therefore they have strong legs and strong bones. Some heavy people are couch potatoes, in terrible shape, and are very likely to get hurt skydiving. It just depends on the individual.