kelel01

What's the worst malfunction?

i hate the thought of a horseshoe. even moving around in the plane, i'm always sooooo worried i'm going to make an awkward move or do something to cause one-- it freaks me out!!
but
i voted for a 2 out. a downplane specifically. that is my worst nightmare!
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

sorry my post was a bit unclear, one of the main riser caught the corner of the reserve tray, and ripped it most of the way off his back, at which point the main riser snapped in two.

The jumper managed to clear the damaged main and deploy his reserve. However the hardware on the rig was severely bent and buckled. He had a wide style chest strap, and it was the opinion of the rigger that if the rig was fitted with the narrow style chest strap it would have broken under the force of the opening (as the chest strap buckle was bent at pretty much 90 degrees) and that he was very lucky that the harness stayed intact.

So although a lot of people argue that the chest strap doesn't take much force, it can do in some situations.

I think i'm right in saying that bill booth only offers the wide type 8 webbing for chest straps on his rigs, and that i think says a lot!

I would say the worst malfunction, is any malfunction I'm having. All in all Malfunctions are DEADLY, so arm yourself with the proper knowledge of Emergency Procedures. Ask yourself what would you do in a double canopy wrap at 1000' if you were the bottom jumper? If you cant recite what you would do and why, then you may want to refresh your knowledge of your EP's. From 3,000' on a small canopy that is spun up in a malfunction, you really don't have much time to sort things out. Trust me I know, and I was reminded of it this weekend.

As far as the scariest malfunction, I would have to say a canopy collision down low. I have seen way to many people with close calls. Situational awareness is not something that people are born with, It's a learned process. Open your eyes under canopy, and look around some. YOu would be amazed at what all is going on around you. That is all.

i totally fear the horseshoe. i fear that even after cutting away, the pc in the pouch will keep the bag above your head and wrapping with your reserve
marcus

I believe the "worst" would have to be a PC in tow. My emergency proceedures for a horseshoe include clearing the PC from the pouch or other source of entanglement before cutting away or deploying the reserve (if you don't, then I certainly change my vote to an UNCLEARED horseshoe mal).

pope

While on rear float a premature reserve opening leading to the entanglement of the reserve with the horizontal stabilizer of the plane.

I the airplane still flies OK and you are still alive just hope your hook-knife (if you have one) is able to cut the reserve risers or lines and hope for a malfunction-free main deployment.
Memento Audere Semper

well, of course i would attempt to clear my pilot chute in the case of a horseshoe, but that is less likely to happen because the pc would probably be in a slightly different location, considering the removed d-bag from the container, and you dont have a lot of time to search around for it. idealistically or hopefully, clearing you pc during a horseshoe would clear out the whole malfunction, improbable as it might be.

Horseshoe by far. It's affected my choice in gear.

Same here. No one voted for "impossible pull" as the scariest malfunction, yet that is what seems to keep more people from jumping pull outs, the system less likely to horseshoe or tow a pilot chute, the two clear cut winners in the poll. :S

I honestly had horseshoe in mind as the worst, but someone else I spoke with said two-out was their worst nightmare.

I just wanted to see what everyone else thought. :)

I had PC in tow which turned into two out. :(>:(:o:)
Lucky horseshoe? Not in my book - that one scares the bejeezus out of me!!!

I believe the "worst" would have to be a PC in tow. My emergency proceedures for a horseshoe include clearing the PC from the pouch or other source of entanglement before cutting away or deploying the reserve (if you don't, then I certainly change my vote to an UNCLEARED horseshoe mal).

pope

So why not to do the same for PC in tow mal? When your rig is still has a normal shape it is easier (but as I find out recently - not easy) to do something IMHO...
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

I believe any sort of high speed mal is the worst kind

I've had both, and please don't give me a high speed again. The time goes way too fast.

I totally agree. The fact that you have maybe six quick seconds once you do finally get soemthing out is scary as hell.

Add to that a horseshoe and well...it sucked, plain and simple. I still have nightmares about not being able to clear the pilot chute from my reserve risers. [:/]Thankfully my reserve and my main are very close in size and I felt comfortable with the possibility of rear risering it in...I didnt' want to but I knew I could.

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.

The worst malfunction would be something happening to that damn plane at about 500' AGL

Or forgetting your rig?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants