adrenalinejunki

Pregnant women and skydiving?

My girlfriend and I just found out that we are going to be parents. She is only about a month along and she has been planning to make her first jump for months now. The weather is finnally good enough and she wants to jump this weekend on static line. It will be her first jump also. I was just wondering what everyone thought about it before we make the decision to let her jump. Do you think it is safe?

My girlfriend and I just found out that we are going to be parents. She is only about a month along and she has been planning to make her first jump for months now. The weather is finnally good enough and she wants to jump this weekend on static line. It will be her first jump also. I was just wondering what everyone thought about it before we make the decision to let her jump. Do you think it is safe?

why risk it?

I've heard of pregnant women jumping. The risks MAY be small... but how would you feel if something went wrong (we all know how some 1st jumpers get so overloaded they ignore instructions on the way down)?
I wasn't jumping when I fell pregnant but I stopped (horse) riding as soon as I knew. I'd only ever fallen off once ...but I wasn't prepared to take that risk.

Just my $0.02
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I think it's ok for an experienced jumper who has an idea of what skydiving is like, has consistently good landings, etc. I'm not saying that I necessarily would jump if I got pregnant, but I wouldn't entirely rule it out, especially since I'll probably have at least 500 jumps before that situation even possibly presents itself.

However, I personally think it's VERY RISKY for a 1st jump student. I wouldn't take the chance. [:/]

Hi AJ

Potential gains vs losses. What's the rush? Wait 8 month's skydiving will still be there. Even a broken leg might be a PIA for a prego. (I'm a guy what do I know:S)

In the meantime take her to the DZ for a picnic for some quality time.;)

Congrats on being a dad.:)
R.I.P.

My wife and i have two kids both conceived on the DZ ha ha. We found out with the first that she was pregnant at 5 months, she had been jumping a lot, all was okay at birth but she did stop when we found out. We new very early on the second that she was pregnant and she stopped jumping then and there. There was no discussion, we both agreed. Doctors aften say no problem until about six months. we say freefall no problem, a hard opening ouch, a hard landing ouch. You could be a perfect skydiver and some other twat flies into you, why take the risk , you have to think of that little person who is not in control. just our thought. congrats with the news
TQ
I am me and you are you, so deal with it!!!
www.skydivepe.com

My wife and i have two kids both conceived on the DZ ha ha. We found out with the first that she was pregnant at 5 months

Yep, probably has happened more than a few times, but like you, most stop as soon as they hear the news. No ethical way to find out the true risk by trial.

My sister found she was pregnant at 6 months. Quite a shock, esp given the use of Depo.

To the OP - so at one month, probably no sweat, but if she's intended to continue on, what's the point in doing just the first SL? She'll be repeating it later. And if anything goes wrong, even if entirely unrelated, you two will hate yourselves for the decision.

My wife's OB said to do what you normally do. For her, that meant skydiving during all four pregnancies. All kids are now straight A students. But my wife knew how to minimize her risks and how to judge her risks, too. Jumping is all new to your GF. It might not be a good thing to start right now, but maybe just the one, early in the pregnancy. Nothing in this world is for sure. Good luck, and welcome to Dadhood.B|

The biggest risk is placental abruption. Due to the malpractice atmosphere no doc would give you the green light PERIOD. The risk would be miniscule untill the start of the second trimester (12 wks.) Prblem is
A) Most people don't find out untill close to then, stopping midway through training for 9 mo. would start you over so why start.
B) The risk of miscarriage is 30% in the first trimester. If your friend miscarried would she blame herself for jumping whether it was true or not.

Not big risk but I don't think the benefit outways any risk because of the above.

16-way with 8 pregnant women in it.

Now that's way cool. My son has about 50 prenatal jumps.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Well everyone we found out today that she is'nt pregnant. She was over 2 months late for her period and home pregnancy tests told us every time that we were going to be parents. Today she went to the doctor and he said that there was something else wrong and gave her some meds and sent her home. It was a let down but we will both be seeing you at Rantoul this year now. She did make her first jump this past Saturday on static line.