kingbunky

what kind of seating do you prefer?

another post brought this subject up and started to get hijacked on this subject so i thought i'd break it out on it's own as there seemed to be some good points made.

assuming you have a choice (ie, you're not in a 182), what kind of seating do you prefer in a jump ship, and why?

i've never been in anything with straddle benches, but of the other two i think i prefer the floor because you aren't sliding into or getting slid into by people next to you. you can lean back and be comfy on the ride up. can't see out the windows too well, so i think the straddle benches would be best, given a choice.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

In my brief skydiving career Ive jumped all 3 (a twin otter with side benches at empuria, a dornier g92 with straddle benches, and a fair few where it was the floor). I like the space you get when there are no benches, but its more comfortable with them in. I preferred the side benches to straddle ones too, just my personal preference I guess...

As a fun jumper, straddle benches are MUCH more comfortable.

As a TI, straddle benches are the only way to go. Side benches are fucking annoying, you've got to have the rest of the load give "tandem room" and then contort yourself to get your student hooked up (and/or have them sit in your lap). Where as with straddle benches you just hook up the connectors and make some minor adjustments to the harness, then you're ready. Just like that. Its much easier, much more comfortable (for the TI and the student) and you can hook up your student much much faster.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I choose other, because...

I only really like side benches in the skyvan. I like side benches better than the floor though, in a Van or a Otter. I only got to use a straddle bench once in a King Air. I liked that one, it worked well and it was comfy too. ;) Opps, actually more than once, I've been in a Porter with a straddle too. That one is kinda cramped though.

Cheers

Side Benches can fold up and out of the way to let big ways chunk out faster. Straddle benches need to be secured to the floor or else they can become projectiles in the event of a crash. Straddle benches can put the person in front of you rig right in your lap where it is far from comfy.

Floor seating has issues for tandem videos since its hard as hell to crawl from the back of the plane to the front and back for a video interview as the plane is climbing.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

being used to straddle benches in the otter... i went and did a tandem at a new dz the other day (to check my shoulder healing from dislocation) and sat on the floor in the caravan there. it was kind of a weird feeling to be effectively laying in the lap of my TM the whole time.

(but the guys were great in dallas and i enjoyed that ride to altitude. after all, talk about a no-pressure skydive...)
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

When in the Porter I prefer the seat next to the pilot, or directly behind the pilot
In the Otter, I'm not fussy as long as it's not on the floor in the left hand corner looking from the pilot.
Thats the coldest spot in the plane.
In a 182 always second to last in, that way you can lie down an relax on the ride up
In a King air at Empuria, dont care, runways to short to fill the plane, plenty of room
In the Carabou Last in on the floor away from the engines (Dam that things loud)

My preference in all cases is on a bench, the floor makes my bum go numb
but most of the time the exit order dictates your postion.

Gone fishing

Straddle benches need to be secured to the floor or else they can become projectiles in the event of a crash.

Now that you mentioned it, I remember that the straddle bench in the King Air was free to move around. :S

Well, in all my vast experience of 9 jumps....just kidding. I've been in three different aircraft in only 9 jumps with three different kinds of seating, so just as a quick assessment, I much prefer the straddle seating to side seating and 182 cramming. It made my tandems much easier. The side seating tandem I did, I had to sit in my TM's lap and he was a little guy compared to my 5'10" frame. I haven't actually tried floor seating, so take this with a grain of salt, though I'm sure I'll get the chance to try it out. :P

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
~Leonardo da Vinci~

Try sitting side-saddle - like a lady on a horse.

If the straddle bench is slippery it is very hard to keep a good posture while sitting sideways (because of the plane's flight angle). I have a screwed up lower back, and if I spend a whole day sitting sideways on a slippery Caravan straddle bench, with my slippery tail deflector underneath me, my back often hurts at the end of the day just from the plane rides. :(
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

f I spend a whole day sitting sideways on a slippery Caravan straddle bench, with my slippery tail deflector underneath me, my back often hurts at the end of the day just from the plane rides. :(

And straddle benches greatly help my back as a TI.

With everything there is a give and take.

I doubt anyone would care if you sat on the floor.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

On the floor next to the door? Sure the 4 way people would complain that you are taking up their area when they are trying to get set up in the door. Or if its bigger then a 4 way you are now suddenly in the middle of a group with not too many options on where to go.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Any room will do! I always end up crosslegged in the back of our 182 cause some big focker sits behind me. bunky....

Straddle is easier to see out the window, but I'm lazy and like to lean back. And like Phree said, you can't move em outta the way.

Given the choice, side benches. No rig on your boys and you can fold em up if you want em outta your way. And it clears a path for the 'tits for tude'ers ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ya we'll rape the local objects, and maybe do some jumps too!"