Addicks

How often statistically does the parachute not open?

I've seen your other posts about being nervous before your first jump.

My best advice - smile - relax - don't over think the plumbing.

Yes there is a VERY small chance that your main chute will malfunction and yes there is a VERY, VERY small chance that your reserve will not function. I'm sure that someone on this forum can quote the statistic but I think that its more valuable to look at the reality of skydiving than some tiny statistic.

The people you are talking to on this forum are skydivers and we do this because we like it. We accept the risks and do our best to minimize them by maintaining our gear and reviewing our emergency procedures. You will be trained in emergency procedures and you can expect to be using gear that is appropriate for the jump you will be making.

You should take comfort in the fact that all of us and the all of the people at the dz where you will be jumping want you to survive.

Smile - Relax - Don't over think the plumbing:)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Okay, first of all its important to note here that your parachute WANTS to open. . .just by design. I am a horrible packer and even when I pack my own main I still get sweet, soft openings. The only time I have ever worried about the parachute opening was on my first jump (which was AFF 1). After it opened I looked up at it and breathed a sigh of relief. I have never worried about it since. . .

If you want to jump, go jump. Or just hang out at a DZ for the day and watch others jump, talk to some of the jumpers. That will give you some good insight into why we do what we do. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

1 in a thousand..

Guess I'm on borrowed time,;) My parachutes have always opened, some times it's been interesting an I've hade to shout at them
but they've always listened, Then again I only buy Male parachutes:ph34r:

Gone fishing

Then again I only buy Male parachutes

:D

i've had some malfunctions but i've never seen a parachute not OPEN. maybe not be landable, but they sure the hell were open..

it is rare, yes it happens. and if you continue on in the sport, more than likely it will happen to you one day. thats why you stay prepared for it..

relax, it is very rewarding

well as long as you remember to take out your pull-up chord, and then pull your pilot chute at a high enough altitude you shouldn't have a major problem.

(this ,ofcourse, is assuming that everything else during your pack job is correct)
My photos

My Videos

It's a parachute!!! It wants to open!!! We just never said it would open on heading or anything like that. Once you understand how the system works, then you'll understand why I say "It's a parachute, it wants to open". ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Has anyone of you had the experience where the main parachute didn't open?

Yes, because I didn't pull it. I didn't check my handles before I left the airplane and the hacky was shoved way in the pocket. Had to go straight to my reserve.

Parachutes want to open. The media likes to say the parachutes didn't open when there is an injury or fatality. Most don't want the actual facts.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

1 in a thousand..

Guess I'm on borrowed time,;) My parachutes have always opened, some times it's been interesting an I've hade to shout at them

Ahhhh, you're the reason I've have a dozen reserve rides. The laws of statistics must be obeyed.:P:D

Should you stick with the sport, your fear of the canopy not opening will quickly be replaced with fear of it opening too fast.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

We males are well known for always listening :)
My g/f says something like this a lot - it goes "whah whah whah whah whah whah listen whah whah whah whah whah whah"

:)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

judy,
so I'm guessing you had a terminal reserve opening? (or was it on a hop and pop?)

OUCHH!!![:/]

yep terminal. Didn't hurt til the next day, but didn't care because I was alive.:)
judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

1 in a thousand..

Ahhhh, you're the reason I've have a dozen reserve rides. The laws of statistics must be obeyed.:P:D

You know their is a whole new thread their, You can have my share of mal's, I wont even charge :D

Gone fishing

***The media likes to say the parachutes didn't open when there is an injury or fatality. Most don't want the actual facts.

Boy is that ever the case. Media mis-reporting of skydiving accidents is one of my pet peeves. (This could be a whole new thread; it has been before.) I say this just to emphasize to the person who started this thread that media reports of accidents are the LAST place from which a non-skydiver should get an impression of how, and how safely, modern sport parachuting equipment really works. Go to a DZ (you may find it less busy on a weekday) and see if there is a rated instructor who is willing to sit down with you and answer your questions.

your fear of the canopy not opening will quickly be replaced with fear of it opening too fast.

amen.

what they said. oh, and try packing one to see how much more they want to take air in than for you to get the air out of them :P
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

The BPA uses the number of 1 in 750 jumps being a malfunction.

The numbers I heard just this morning in a briefing from the Gov't is 1 in every 450 jumps is likely to be a malfunction. That does not mean it is limited to just not opening , only that a problem may arise( like line twists or other malfunctions ranging from minor to major).
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

It is extremely hard to put hard fast numbers on malfunctions.I've packed 4 in the last 2 years.But,I pack parachutes for a living also!That's 7-9min pack jobs up to 40-50 a day sometimes.I pride myself in staying focused all day and following my specific routine.I packed just 1 malfunction this past spring and none since(knock on wood)(lol)