thegreekone

Wingsuit landing (no parachute)

Last I heard, he was still trying to find a company that could provide him with enough of the proper foam peanuts to fully cover the landing area. He had one manufacturer tracked down awhile back, but then protestors compained about the environmental impact of all those peanuts being thrown on the ground, so he's had to look into using biodegradable foam peanuts.

Unfortunately biodegrable peanuts don't have the same bounceproof level of the standard ones, so he's also had to pad his wingsuit with bubble wrap. And that, of course, has caused issues with the flight characteristics of his wing suit which he's also still working out.

I spoke to luigi in the weekend and he says that it needs sponsors as it is a 5 million dollar project and they need to build a ramp as Jeb wants to fly on a 30 degree angle with the ramp before landing. After watching luigi in person over the weekend land the 39 sq ft canopy, i very much doubt you could land a wingsuit.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I spoke to luigi in the weekend and he says that it needs sponsors as it is a 5 million dollar project and they need to build a ramp as Jeb wants to fly on a 30 degree angle with the ramp before landing.

How could this project involve $5 million? Are they doing some serious wind tunnel testing on this? Otherwise this sounds like a get rich quick scheme.

Chris
--------
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy s#$* what a ride!'"

Then where could all the money be going to? Thats a lot of cash! The only thing I could think of is one of those wind tunnels that cost like 5 figures per hour to operate. I will be interesting to see all that goes in it.

Chris
--------
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy s#$* what a ride!'"

i think he has only jumped it under 100 times.
it looked fucking cool though..... he swooped cross wind in between a 6 foot gap. he came in around 70mph.

he only jumped it once for the three days he was at hinton.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Wouldn't it be funny if Jeb became the savior of skydiving by curing the low turn problem.

Wouldn't be as much funny as it would be a miracle (for a number of reasons).

As I've stated before (and even made some bets about) I sincerly doubt anyone is going to land a wingsuit in the near future and walk away from the experience.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

>Can you think of any other reason to attempt landing with a speed
>component of 120 mph +?

I just jumped from 30,000 feet for no reason other than it was fun. I've been known to do stupider things - I recall once rappelling out the 20th story of a Vegas hotel just for fun. I didn't make any money on that either.

>Can you think of any other reason to attempt landing with a speed
>component of 120 mph +?

I just jumped from 30,000 feet for no reason other than it was fun. I've been known to do stupider things - I recall once rappelling out the 20th story of a Vegas hotel just for fun. I didn't make any money on that either.

I to have jumped from 30,000 feet and higher and spent 6 years on a USAR team with the Fire Dept. We rappelled from 200 feet on a regular basis. The difference between us is I got paid to do both, the jumps from 30,000 quite will.

Both of these activities can be done safely and served a purpose. At some point in an attempt to land a wingsuit you will have to make contact with the ground, on you face, and dissipate the energy of a body in freefall. :P Since it will not make a large difference in the good of mankind, that leaves money or ego. jmo

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

>Both of these activities can be done safely and served a purpose.

Ah. Mine didn't serve much of a purpose other than fun. Not sure they helped my ego very much since I wasn't really interested in anyone finding out about them. Heck, more than half my BASE jumps have been made while trying to NOT let anyone find out about them! But after doing such things, I knew I could do them, and for some reason to me that's important. Somehow, to me, there's a difference between thinking you can do something difficult and actually doing it, even if it doesn't help humanity or make you a load of money. (Now, if you can accomplish two or more of those things at once, even better!)