FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

How did u pay for ur rig?

Did a search but didnt come up with anything. How did u do it? Ive seen were people have saved change. but there are to many vending machines at work for that. i made it multiple choice cause i can see were someone would have used more than one option.

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

im thinking income tax check, bonus check and credit card as my source of funds. but time will tell. anythng that would be saved is going to finish AFF and gettng my jump number up past A liscense before making the leap into purchasing my own.

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

went through AFF before college.....went to college to get student loans to pay for rig and jumps, lived in shithole.. now college got me a job and I own my fourth rig from loans and 2000 jumps....now all I do is pay for the jumps.. can you believe it actually payed off..

i bought mine piece by piece because i was/am so damn poor! first year: reserve & container; next year: main; last year (finally): Cypres. although looking back, i would definitely go for a CUSTOM container.....

~hollywood

see the world! http://gorocketdog.blogspot.com

im thinking income tax check, bonus check and credit card as my source of funds. but time will tell. anythng that would be saved is going to finish AFF and gettng my jump number up past A liscense before making the leap into purchasing my own.

Definitely finish the A first, esp if Visa is going to be used.

I had intended to wait longer, but growing disatisfaction with rental gear available and quality pushed things along, along with some rationalization of how cheaply I could put it together (went way over). I paid cash for the used main, charged the rest.

Debt costs, but then so does renting at $20-30/jump. But for such a big ticket item, I think you should have a short term plan for paying down a capital purchase like that. X months, or X hundred dollars paid each month.

Debt costs, but then so does renting at $20-30/jump. But for such a big ticket item, I think you should have a short term plan for paying down a capital purchase like that. X months, or X hundred dollars paid each month.

This is the BEST ADVICE on the subject. You do NOT want to owe Visa or MC on a debt like a new rig. You'll be paying it off forever.

Credit cards are built like that. The goal is for you to be paying the interest until the end of time. Don't fall into the trap.

Credit card debt hounded me from college until I sold my first company. Now everything is about AmEx and paying it off at the end of the month. You save a FORTUNE when you're not paying interest.

Put it on the credit card only if a) you can pay it off within a reasonable time - what's reasonable based on your interest payments is up to you - but don't assume you'll just "come into money." It doesn't work that way, and that debt with be with you forever, like luggage. b) only use one credit card, and make sure you can get points or miles for it. You might as well get something out of it.

Good luck!

PS: I bought my first rig last month - gave Sonic at The Ranch a hefty deposit, and will give him the rest when I get my gear. I look at it as just grabbing a lot of frequent flier miles for something I'd buy anyway. :)

Part cash, part credit card. Technically it all went on the credit card at one time or another, but most was paid off at the end of each month, just because I didn't wanna mail a cheque...

Right now, my rig is 75% paid for, and the rest will be paid for by the time it gets here, hopefully.
cavete terrae.

My current rig was pieced together. I got the container sponsored, so I guess that could be considered "in trade." The reserve I picked up used for $350; my parents paid for most of that as an Xmas gift. The first main I bought well used for $300; that money was out of my paycheck. The current main was a bonus from my job after the first main needed more $$ in repairs than it was worth after a nasty hard opening. The Cypres I bought used from a friend who let me make payments.

I'm still waiting for the day when I can have a completely new rig, with all the pieces arriving at the same time.

I bought my canopies used and my cypres I bought for cheap, all of which I paid for using like my income tax return, school refunds, etc. I bought my container brand new so it would fit me and would be comfy, which I paid for w/ my credit cardB|

Mother to the cutest little thing in the world...

Mine's kinda complicated but basically I sold some of my company stock since the market wasn't going anywhere at the time. If I had held the stock it would be worth about $700 more now than it was, but then again having a nearly flawless Mirage was a good trade-off.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

One thing I'd say about credit cards which has not been mentioned is that you can get some really good deals now for introductory 0% interest payments on new cards.

Usually it only applies to Balance Transfers but there are an increasing number that will apply it to purchases as well.

So if you know that you can save up the money to pay it off in say 6 months (or some cards offer 9 months or even 12) then apply for a brand new credit card with that length of 0% interest and buy the rig on that. Or get a credit card that offers a 0% for balance transfers, buy the rig on your existing card and transfer the balance to the new one.

If you want to be really sneaky, only pay the minimum payment on the card each month and put the rest of your "repayment" into a savings account. The month that the interest-free period expires pay off the card using the savings money. That way not only do you get a free loan, you also get to earn interest on the money while you save it up.

There are also cards that have deals where instead of a 0% promotion if you transfer a balance in the first month or two of the card you get a low interest rate (2-3%) which applies until the balance is paid off. This is about the cheapest way of getting a loan you'll ever find.

Be warned though, the cards with the longest 0% deals usually have hefty interest once the deal expires, and you will also find if you miss a minimum payment even by a day they will cancel your deal. Also you MUST NOT spend money on these cards except for the stuff covered by the 0% deal as they apply payments to the balances with the lowest interest rates first which means if you have say a balance transfer rate of 0% and a purchase rate of 15% they make you pay off the money at 0% in full before you can start paying off the money at 15% - this gets very expensive.

So only go down this route if a) you are disciplined and organised and b) you know you can save up the money before the deal expires. But if you are, it can be a very good, cheap way of getting credit.

I in fact have a couple of 0% cards on the go, about a month before each expires I apply for a new one and move the balance onto that. Eventually I'll run out of credit card companies but until then I'm able to pay off my college debts (and my rig) without paying interest.

Take a look at www.moneysavingexpert.com for more free advice on how to do this, and other discounts/cheap loans/high interest savings etc.

Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..