i know its a stupid idea, but has anyone tried to "tow" their friend with an open main?

Thats correct, but the canopies they use are especially made for towing behind a boat. People have tried using Para Commanders, they dont fly the same, it can be dangerous.

bill cole

.....umm.... it works with a BASE canopy. I think.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

If you want to try this - get instruction! Towing is a common way to launch paragliders, but there is an unrecoverable condition called lockout that means you _will_ hit the ground very hard. The only way to deal with this is to chop the tow line or release tension (i.e. stop towing the person.)

bill thanks, im no way in the world going to try this, i just was wondering from a hypothetical view if it were even possible, and what the results had been - unfortunately serious and fatal in some instances [:/]

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

anyone tried to "tow" their friend on their boat/truck with an open main attached to them? Im figuring it would probably be a better bet that someone has tried this on water, but then you can never assume anything. Not that i have much of an idea that this is even something remotely feasible, but i figured if a few skydivers got together and had access to a speed boat, someone might have tried it over the years.

Yep, we call it 'Dope on a rope'. Make sure you use a static line (repelling rope) not a dynamic line (lead climbing rope). If the line breaks the stretch of the dynamic line will come up and 'bite' the guy under canopy.

Has anyone here launched their mains down a hill/sand dune like in Soul Flyers? How good/bad an idea is it? There's a huge hill just outside of my town where everyone goes sledging when the snow comes.....got me thinking.

------------------------------------------------------
May Contain Nut traces......

Just like Billvon said, commonly used for paragliders (and hangies B|)

These guys ALWAYS use a weak link though. Some systems are just like 3 ring cutaways.

Can't see why it couldn't be done if you got the angle of attack right... and had some suitable training (tow endorsed PG licence, maybe? ;)) beforehand.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

DO NOT DO TOW SOMEONE BEHIND A TRUCK!!!!

Without the right gear, increasing speed can result in the person under canopy being slammed into the ground. Very uncool. Seen some nasty footage.B|

Also, do not strap yourself into a go-kart wearing your rig. This resulted in a mate in hospital, hurting very badly!!:D[:/]:$

We've gotten very bored on blown-out days over the last 20+ years!!:P

From accidently starting freeway grass-fires with flare guns and airport fires with fireworks to jumping out of the chopper into the dam from 100ft (without first checking the depth) to painting team logos on the roof without getting the DZ owners approval...you name it, some idiot's tried it.
xj

"I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with the earth...but then I wouldn't recommend picking a fight with a car either, and that's having tried both."

It can be fun, but it takes a long, steep hill, a decent wind (uphill) and a largish canopy. Expect to get dirty.

On the cliffs right above "Blacks Beach" is a perfect spot!
Done it many times!

We even had a disc for shooting accuri...
next to the cooler! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

check out these sites...

don't tie the tow briddle in the chest strap... wrong move... if using a skydiving rig, modify the 3ring attachment.... like the tandem rigs where TMs hook thier students...the tow briddle must be designed to detach from the parascender/parasailer... JUST LIKE the 3ring release system. the cutaway handle at the tow briddle must be reached effortlessly by the parascender. for the cutaway handle, it's not advisable to use ripcords... better to use a rope/toggle with closing pin on the tip. (sorry for my english)

again... don't attach the rope or tow briddle in the chest... NO NO NO!!!

any skydiving canopies will do... don't use paracommander if your thinking of using it.... if you are, see to it you have long runway...

don't forget... cutaway the tow briddle if you have enough altitude.

blues!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/skylee_swoop/15-chris-trolove.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/skylee_swoop/16-chris-trolove.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/skylee_swoop/17-chris-trolove.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/skylee_swoop/19-john-grantham.jpg
[IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/skylee_swoop/20-john-grantham.jpg[/IMG]

anyone tried to "tow" their friend on their boat/truck with an open main attached to them? Im figuring it would probably be a better bet that someone has tried this on water, but then you can never assume anything. Not that i have much of an idea that this is even something remotely feasible, but i figured if a few skydivers got together and had access to a speed boat, someone might have tried it over the years.

Hey y'all watch this

Chris

hey chris how about that thunderbow lol.... i can't believe the rope broke lol...

if any of you know john pinion he has some great video of me doing it....
Pruitt

Skydive The Farm

im a newbie to skydiving, but i have done around 100 tows on a paraglider, we used a payout winch on a boat with 3000ft of spectra line, a weak link and a 3 ring cut away on the tow bridle.
the payout winch allows the line to feed out at a consistent rate so that sudden acceleration by the boat wont jerk the line and increase the angle of attack too much, and if there is any hint of a lockout occuring, the winch operator can instantly release tension.
weak link is there incase the winch jams or the line gets snagged.
3 ring can be cutaway with either hand or foot.
boat slows down when the 3000ft of line has fed out, line is then cutaway without tension.
other equipment we had was hook knives, lifejackets, two way radios, airband radio

if you have the right equipment and information its great fun, if you dont its very dangerous
a static line behind a car or a boat is a bad idea, very likely to end in a lockout situation

Dude - thats kinda high...

Are you guys NUTS? :P

haha ....as mr2mk1g replied "high is good", most dangerous part of towing is the first couple of hundred feet from the ground where a lockout can turn you in to the ground or a towline or weak link break can make your canopy dive