ntrprnr

How "In Shape" are we as Skydivers?

I go to Taekwondo school 4-5 times a week. I started to do that because it helps me with skydiving - flexibility, good reaction and body awareness. Practice "forms" helps a lot - it develops habit to think about hands position, legs position etc. Now I like Taekwondo itself - it's fun. I was running on the beach 3-4 times a week and working out after that before, but I found it boring. To do something just for sweating - not worth to spend time for.
I still need to lose 20-30 pounds - but I am in very good shape for my age and weight - very slick, flexible and energetic.

Damn, does lots of sex get you to loose weight?

If it takes up so much of your time that it causes you to miss meals, then I'm sure it does.;)

Nope, can always pause for sustinance!!

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

Hi, I just wanted to metion something I discovered recently that I think would be absolutely fantastic for all skydivers. It's Bikram Yoga. Yoga done at 37 degrees celcius. I'm on an intensive course (going every day for 30 days) and I've really noticed my flexibility increase. There are also alot of arching poses on the floor which really strengthens the back. Not to mention weight loss. I'm going to promote it the dz this Saturday. I totally recommend it to all skydivers.
"Let the jumping begin!"

Actual working out (gym) - 4 times a week
-weights, running, swimming
Other activities almost every weekend
--Mt. Biking, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Scuba, Skydiving
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

I feel skydiving includes a lot of physical training.
Running to the packing tent after landing to give the rig
to the packers and getting another one, running to the plane,
running to the manifest to find out I'm on a five minute call,
packing like hell to make it, running to and from the video
room to edit video, running to find the tandem passenger and
deliver the video in time to get to the next one, etc,
not to mention running for cases of beer :-)

Skydiving is the worlds most exciting way to loose weight!

Basicly, I do a cardio vascular workout every day I go to work (we have a free gym at work). That's 9 times in a 2 week period (we were 9 hour days, get the 10th day off). On weekends, I'm usually doing a hard trail run of some sort (usually for an hour or so). I also do an agrressive upperbody workout (basicly trying to get my arm back in shape so i can start jumping again). I just like to be active. I think i'm in somewhat decent shape...

CReW SKies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

• martial arts
  • weight training

• Watch what you say guys....

Definitely not in perfect shape (i.e. could stand to lose about 5-10 pounds), but I still fit in my size 4's.

Now this gave me a big chuckle...women are never happy with what they have.
    Cora dearest, you're way too hot to be worrying about 5-10 lbs ("but I still fit in my size 4's")
    My reality and yours are quite different.
    I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
    Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I agree with everyone else, in a sz 4, there's no way in hell you could have a horrible looking body.

I'm a sz 10 (and 5'3") and perfectly happy at this size. Sure, I could probably drop another 10 lbs, but I'm strong, I work out 5 days a week and am a packer on weekends. I feel healthy and don't frighten small children with my appearance, so can't be all bad.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Hi, I just wanted to metion something I discovered recently that I think would be absolutely fantastic for all skydivers. It's Bikram Yoga. Yoga done at 37 degrees celcius. I'm on an intensive course (going every day for 30 days) and I've really noticed my flexibility increase. There are also alot of arching poses on the floor which really strengthens the back. Not to mention weight loss. I'm going to promote it the dz this Saturday. I totally recommend it to all skydivers.

I'm an on/off Bikram practitioner. Do yoga at home to tapes as well. I'm sure an intense 30 days would do wonders, but I don't really have the time...plus it cuts into skydiving $$$.

I'm not very fit [:/] but i have to start, especially strengthening my arms (small girl - i find flying on risers and packing quite demanding :( )
    but the professional skydivers (TMs/AFFIs etc) at my DZ seem pretty fit...
    Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

12 times a week. 3 weights, 2 running(14km each), 2 on the rowing machines, 4 on water (16 - 24 km), and one body weights session with alot of jumping around and push ups. then again im training for national rowing selection trials in april;)

When I cant move a boat fast anymore im going to be the fattest laziest piece of shit. 120kg at least... that way i can slowly increase my wingloading without ever having to buy a new rig. thus out smarting everyone who buys a smaller canopy to downsize....suckers:P
    "In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

12 times a week. 3 weights, 2 running(14km each), 2 on the rowing machines, 4 on water (16 - 24 km), and one body weights session with alot of jumping around and push ups. then again im training for national rowing selection trials in april;)

:o Holy shit! When do you find time to breathe much less do anything else? :o
    Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I work out 5 days a week, twice a day with 40 minutes of cardio in the first workout, then weight train/core exercises on my lunch hour(company gym) Being over 40, I need to put more effort into staying in shape than I did years ago. It is much harder to maintain 11% body fat than it was 20 years agoB|

easy:P im failing one unit at uni... and earn so little money with part time work im always broke and drink the cheapest shit possible. rowing, uni and skydiving are about all i do. ligthweight chicks in lycra keep me sane.
    "In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

What I started doing a few months ago is largely based on a book called "Body For Life" by Bill Phillips. I have a basic flat / incline bench with leg attachment I found at walmart for less than $50, an adjustable dumbbell set , a barbell and a curl bar set up. Mon , Wed , and Fri I'll focus on a pre planned free weight workout (switching up the upper and lower body ie: one week I'll do upper twice and lower twice the next.). Tue , Thurs, and Sat I'll focus on cardio (walking / jogging outside or treadmill.)...ab crunches/twists every other day. Sundays I just take off totally.

Stretches everyday.....

It's going to be great to see how this effects skydiving next spring , as I plan to march on after a false start earlier this year....( I attempted and passed IAF 1 and 2 but walked away from the DZ for certain reasons I don't want to get into here...thus the DZ is absent from my profile). Regardless , It feels wonderful to actually be getting in shape. I totally fell into the apathetic category as well , once lol.

:)

Can't wait til next year !
    ~He who looks outside his own heart dreams, he who looks inside his own heart awakens - Carl Jung~

My Space

I'm not sure skydiving requires ultra fitness. You gotta be somewhat fit (probably fitter than the average couch potato nowadays) but it's not like you need to sport a sixpack and run marathons to be good at skydiving.

It's good to be of decent physical shape. Many of the top people in the sport are in excellent shape. Some are in pretty average shape and wouldn't win marathons or weight lifting competitions.

There is naturally a minimum amount of strength and flexibility that's required. Once that's nailed down it seems it's more about body awareness and body control than raw strength or endurance. Take Niels Pedstrup, the freestyle champion. Small guy in pretty good shape. He's good in the air mainly because of his his acute awareness of what his body is doing. Of course he needs the physique to support him in doing what he wants but he's no superman of fitness.

My fitness (or lack thereof) is just a minor function of my skill level. Training and jump numbers are more important by several magnitudes.

Yep, Bikrams Yoga seems to be custom made for skydiving...flexibility, endurance, body awareness, being IN the moment, lots of hot chicks in the classes, etc etc
    Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary