phoenixlpr

Grounded?

Yup

I enjoy nothing more than having a beer after a day's jumping and have woke up so hangover that i've said "fuck it, not going today." But on one occasion i woke up and thought i was OK and went to the DZ, in myself i felt OK, not 100% but 95%. I think the pink eye gave it away and i was told to fuck off.

At first i was really pissed off at the way i was spoken to, but i sat down and realised how stupid i'd been and its a simple as that. Swallowed my pride and went back feeling sheepish and started jumping again. [:/]

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Twice!

The first time for getting into a wrap under 2K, upset our rigger so he didn't want to re-pack my reserve. It was the worst possible time to be grounded because the rest of the team went on to jump the "Fuddy Duddy" B-17 in Geneseo, NY. They let me go for a ride & watch everyone else jump:(

The second time was for doing a low hook turn & smacked in, yup it was one of those where I stood up & looked to see if anyone was watching....I started getting worried when I saw everyone looking in horror yet no-one said a word.

Learned my lesson on both occasions.

Yeah I've been grounded once. For 2 weeks, for pulling at 2.5k when I had 50 jumps, resulting in a 2-out (FXC fired). At 2k I had a biplane, at 1k it was turning into a downplane and I chopped. I got grounded for the chopping actually :S

Did it serve it's purpose? Well no, I didn't think chopping a downplane (the main was standing almost straight before me) was wrong, even though the instructor that grounded me didn't see the downplane develop, he just say the biplane and the single reserve (my coach saw it though and he said I did just fine). Pulling too low, yeah, that was a mistake, but still, I don't like grounding for a mistake like that. I think it's better to get up on the horse again after scaring yourself like that, if you learned from that mistake. Esp if you don't have many jumps, a long grounding only makes you more nervous.

If you do something stupid after being told not to, like people turning too low like they sometimes do when landing in front of our hangar, maybe, ground them for the rest of the day or something.

However, if you keep pulling low, or turning low, and not learning from your mistakes, then yeah, a long-term grounding might help keep you safe and I'd be in favor of that.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Have you ever been grounded?
Do you think that grounding serve its purpose?

One afternoon after going low back in the 70's.... I was in the saddle at about 500 ft. The grounding was supposed to be for a longer period of time, but the president of our club took pity on us and allowed us to jump again, the next day.

No...it didn't help. Just coming that close, to going in, scared the bejesus out of me. That in itself was enough.....Steve1

Thank Goodness!

I've always had great respect for your experience and opinions, Tom. I've been reading your stuff for years and I've never read anything you've said that I didn’t agree with . . .

>>Once for winning a naked low pull contest. <<

That said, I like you all the more now . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Twice:

1st: Jump #32:having 2x just 2 hours of sleep. It was my 1st jump from a C206 anyway. I have failed to recognize a nicely flying canopy over my head. It was something minor around the breaks. I've chopped it. My instructor asked what was the reason to chop a good canopy after about 1 min of flight after opening....

2nd: I got a PC in the tow(on me) @ #112. Cut away - reserve ride. It was my own stupid fault. 2 weeks later #122 I chopped a canopy I was test-jumping after a hard opening and having 4 broken lines on the left rear group and started to dive. I got grounded after this. For #112 I would've deserved some time to think, but after cuting #122 away? I got a speech from my mentor/formal instructor about safety yada-yada... I was jumping on the next weekend.

I think I have learnt my lesson from #32 and #112 for good.

If I had a not so stable position and a bad throw and getting the bridle on my sholder.......

Edit: Did you have it wraped around a part of your body?

Yes, I did.:S

It was a 1000m jump. It was a FXC on that gear. I was not briefed properly, I was told to open over 1000m, I had a fear of having a 2 out, because I didn't know the operational envelope of FXC that time. Nice chain of causes, isn't it?

I'm no longer welcome at my original home DZ. Does that count? I guess it's sort of a lifetime grounding.

There's an ultralight operation on the same airport, and the ultralight guys will let you pay for a tandem ultralight ride, and then jump out at altitude. Of course, the ultralight guys wouldn't know a parachute from a backpack. So, I took my Prism and FOX, got out at about 2500', and pulled around 300'. I think I'd have probably grounded me for doing that, too. :)

The really funny part was that the ultralight pilot, when I talked to him later, said "wow, you threw that parachute right away!" :D
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I got grounded at Rantoul one year. It was only for a day and it didn't really affect me much. I was a bit fucked up and didn't know it. I guess my stumbling around gave it away. Oh well, just decided to start drinking some more and wait til the next day to jump.

Hopefully Lolie will see this thread and post her grounding experience.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I wasn't allowed to jump last weekend because the winds were too high for a student. Its not really a big deal, but it's a bitch having to sit on the tarmac and watch everybody else jumping >:(

Grendel Khan-The Official DZ.Com Newbie Forum Nuisance
"They sicken of the calm, that know the storm."

Twice:

1st: Jump #32:having 2x just 2 hours of sleep. It was my 1st jump from a C206 anyway. I have failed to recognize a nicely flying canopy over my head. It was something minor around the breaks. I've chopped it. My instructor asked what was the reason to chop a good canopy after about 1 min of flight after opening....

2nd: I got a PC in the tow(on me) @ #112. Cut away - reserve ride. It was my own stupid fault. 2 weeks later #122 I chopped a canopy I was test-jumping after a hard opening and having 4 broken lines on the left rear group and started to dive. I got grounded after this. For #112 I would've deserved some time to think, but after cuting #122 away? I got a speech from my mentor/formal instructor about safety yada-yada... I was jumping on the next weekend.

I think I have learnt my lesson from #32 and #112 for good.

I guess the number 2 is not lucky for you then???
Some issue in a past life?

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa