labrys

Embarrassing student "tricks"

My AFF Level 3 had a real embarassing ending. After the chute deployed, I spent a little too much time collecting myself and doing the steerability checks, and not enough time paying attention to the wind speed and direction. I passed by the DZ and couldn't come back to it, as the wind was too strong, so I had to land in someone's back yard.

Plop! I landed right between the house, a tree, and a tool shed, right in the back yard. So there I am with a cheesy blue jumpsuit & helmet on, coiling up the lines to a huge black & hot pink manta. A 7-8 month pregnant lady comes out the back door & says, "Are you okay?" Feeling (and looking) really stupid, I thought why not use the stupid pun, and I replied, "Yeah, I'm okay--just thought I'd...(here it comes) drop in. Um...which way is the airport?"

It turned out her husband had a hangar at the airport, so she woke him up & he gave me a ride back to the DZ. When I got there, one my JM's said to me, "Didn't your mom ever tell you not to hitchhike?"

I said, "Yeah, but she never told me how to skydive, either!" Everyone laughed at me, including me. :D

In my log book, my JM wrote (among other things) "Let's try this again" and I failed Level 3. I've paid strict attention to the wind speed & direction ever since. B|

Self-edit: this is a pic from my first jump ever (AFF Level 1). It's embarassing because of how terrified I look, but always fun to look back on. Is this what your face looked like the first time? :o
"DOOR!!!"

Right after AFF Graduation I was doing my 10th or 11th Jump. Still Flying a Raider 220.

I still had the old NO LOW TURNS drilled into my head and completely forgot about the Fly your canopy all the way to the Ground.

I turn in on final and see that I am going to land right beside the Swoop Ditch (Yes I am the last one coming in). About 15 feet off the ground the Wind shifts slightly and I realize that I am now going to Land IN the swoop pond.

Straight in. Dead Center of the Pond, Stand up landing though. The entire Dropzone is out to watch. Everyone was there. Laughing hysterically at me. I am just standing there in Waist deep water looking back at everyone trying to come up with something clever to say....
And The DZO YELLS "Get the Fuck out of the Water with My RIG!!!"

I was Pond Boy for quite a while after that one.

on my first jump, i somehow got the idea in my head that I could fly, if I just flapped my arms enough :D

damn, and it's on video :S

LOL, that is funny dude... You even started to do it a little on the second jump... Awsome :D

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I was doing my first DRP from a dangle exit of the 182 at the IPC. I was so concentrated on getting everything right....

There was my jm and one of his friends in the plane , they were going to watch me and then go on to altitude. I climed out as normal , looked in the door at everybody looking at me , got the go.. took a look around and witout letting go of the strut started counting..1 thousand 2 thousand, as i was about to do the dummy pull i realised i was still hanging onto to the strut..

looked back in the door and the jm and his buddies and the pilot :$ are looking at me in stitches of laughter...

Started again and managed to get the DRP so i passed the jump..

At Rantoul a buddy and I were doing a two-way out of the news helicopter, which was helo jump #10 or so for me. After enjoying the ride for a while, we gave each other pin checks in the seat, then we both kind of zoned out watching the world below. I got poked back to reality by the pilot yelling at us to get out. I looked to my left, and kevin (drakeshelby) was already out on the step on his side. So I climbed out quickly, he gave a count, and we went.

I have never been more scared in my life. I had forgotten it was a helo jump, and the still air feeling truly scared the crap out of me. I felt like I couldn't breathe. It was several seconds before my brain processed what was going on and I was able to actually skydive. He flew over to me to get a quick star, then we tracked and dumped. When we landed, he said "Man, what was wrong with you? I've never seen you look like that!"

It was really wierd. Lesson: don't exit into still air without being mentally prepared.

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Straight in. Dead Center of the Pond, Stand up landing though.

I did 'almost' the same thing on a PC...

FIRST jump on a "High Performance" canopy, and
After months of watching the Big Guys hook low into the peas...I KNEW I was ready to show 'em all my expertise.

Unfortunately my perception was off, what with all the extra 'drive' and speed in a turn those state of the art canopies had over a T-10....

....I hooked too low and too far behind the target...like about 200 feet behind the target...and splashed down almost horizontally into a drainage ditch full of run off from the cow pasture next to it!:o

They hosed me off right there and made me take the rig home a hand wash EVERYTHING:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Exited at 17k AGL... brain locked up completely. Exited before my instructor was ready and didn't respond to her hand signals. I ended up passing anyway, because I did perform the maneuvers I was supposed to perform (just not very smoothly because I was tensed up and didn't pay attention to the "relax" signal my instructor was frantically trying to get me to see) and had a perfect unassisted landing.

On one of my early jumps (I think AFP4), I turned away from and almost backslid into my instructor while I was deploying.

Exited at 17k AGL... brain locked up completely.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You were probably hypoxic.
The shortage of oxygen anywhere above 10,000' is so subtle that many people do not realize they are hypoxic.
Reactions - and perceptions - vary widely.
Some people get too relaxed - like they are high on marijuana - while others get too tense, bordering on argumentative.
I have even done both on the same flight.
:-)

AFF 3... was playing around with riser turns in my holding area when my instructor started yelling "turn towards the LZ" over the radio. I knew I was in the right spot so I ignored him for a minute but he would not stop yellin git over the radio so being the noob I was, I turned toward the LZ and proceeded to fly right over it at about 150'. I held my course into the wind made a nice stand up landing on the tarmac.. I felt like a real idiot as everyone watched me float over their heads :P

During debrief he infomed me that the other student on the load was way off line and landed off and that he was yelling at him to turn, not me. I stopped using the radio after that since my patterns were good.

Funny. I was Pond Boy up at the Ranch for a while this past summer. Landed in the swoop pond. not waist deep though. 15-20 feet of water. Aff Level 5. Freefall had gone excellent too. Ruined that !

The walk of shame, back to the student area, past all the experienced folks lounging on chairs, was sweet. Water squishing out of my sneakers, drip, drip, drip.

(A few weeks later, Pond Boy #2 came on the scene, btw. We water lovers seem to have a long & glorious history)
-Rainier

Sparks Brother #1 // "I vaguely heard someone yell "wait!" but by that point i was out the door." Quote from dz.com somewhere

Edit to ask....so......what did you do during your ground training to deserve the "pink helmet" treatment?:D

hehe, actually, it was a purple helmet. (the VCR i used to transfer the vhs to computer was pretty fucked up).

I actually took it on my own accord (as a joke).
I was the only student from my FJC to actually wait around to jump - so I had my choice of any color gear :P
(FJC ended at about 3pm, I didnt' jump until 9:30 pm. Gotta love those long June days)

came back the next morning, and did the second B|

oh, that reminds me of another funny story.

I had just landed from jump number 2. (been in the sport about 12 hours at that point), and witnessed my first reserve ride.
I watched this guy deploy, and start spinning. after a few revolutions, I heard people around me muttering "That's enough dave, stop spinning now. stop spinnnig. stop spinning".

That's when he { fell out of his harness, and is about to FUCKING DIE! HOLY FUCKING SHIT!! }. :D
Then, the round reserve came out, and I felt like a complete moron (as I should - hehe)
I forgot these skydiver-types always have 2 canopies with them :ph34r:

on my first jump, i somehow got the idea in my head that I could fly, if I just flapped my arms enough :D

damn, and it's on video :S

This happens in my dreams frequently. It's great in there. Then I wake up and realize I need to pack and ride a plane to altitude, on the weekend when the DZ is open in the Winter and assuming we have the weather. :(

I should just go back to sleep and flap my arms.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

my aff1, exit 10000', 1st awareness check due at 9000'. i remember looking at my alti, after throwing jm2, and he had rejoined and seeing 8000'.i thought ,"oh good, still got 1000' to go to 9000'!, it took until 6000' to realise my calculations were in error, just in time to do final awareness and pull. (threw away r/c of course).the very kind instructor passed me for aff2

This is a funny thread :)
This one didn't happen to me, but one of the just-off-AFF jumpers went on the last load of the day a few months ago. We were doing a hit-n-chug. One of my friends landed a little far from the beer, cut away her main, and ran to drink. The new student saw her do this, and we were all yelling "Cut it Away! Cut it away!" at everyone coming in. So he cut away his main, and started sprinting toward the beer.

We didn't think about the fact that he was jumping student gear with an RSL. He was running so fast that he deployed the reserve when the pilot chute caught air in back of him. We called him "RSL" for the rest of the night. He hasn't been out since....

:)
Brie

edited for typing errors
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

This is a funny thread :)
This one didn't happen to me, but one of the just-off-AFF jumpers went on the last load of the day a few months ago. We were doing a hit-n-chug. One of my friends landed a little far from the beer, cut away her main, and ran to drink. The new student saw her do this, and we were all yelling "Cut it Away! Cut it away!" at everyone coming in. So he cut away his main, and started sprinting toward the beer.

We didn't think about the fact that we was jumping student gear with an RSL. He was running so fast that he deployed the reserve when the pilot chute caught air in back of him. He called him "RSL" for the rest of the night. He hasn't been out since....

:)
Brie

I've always thought about that, but have never seen anyone do it. I would never let them live that one down. B|

I was putting three static line first jumpers out of a C-180. The first student was sitting with his feet out the door, next to the pilot, and I was on me knees just aft of him. I felt something strange on my legs (I was wearing shorts). I looked behind me to see student #2 puking. He looked at me earnestly and said "I'm fine! I just get motion sick. I'll clean it up." Student #1 was clueless, and I wanted to keep him that way, so I finished dealing with him and put him out. Student #3 was looking pretty green, so I asked him if he wanted to go next, instead of last, to which he enthusiastically responded "yes!" I got him out, and then got the puker out too. I had intended to ride the plane down, but no longer wanted to, so I jumped. The pilot descended with the door open, landed the plane, taxied up close and got out. The puking student did a good job on his jump, and promptly came over and cleaned up the plane. I hosed my legs off. It was a good day.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

On about my 10th student jump, I had the desire to get some photos from under canopy. I realized that I might not last in the sport, and I wanted to make sure that I had some pictures to remember the experience. So when the jumpmaster wasn't looking, I tied my camera strap to my chest strap, and stuffed the camera down inside my jumpsuit.

So, as I was getting my final gear check before walking to the plane, the jumpmaster notices the strap; "What the hell is this?" I explain it's a camera and I want to take some pictures under canopy. He proceeds to pull the camera out of my jumpsuit and waves it in front of my face; "What happens if the camera comes out in freefall and starts smacking you in the face on the end of this cord?"

He made me leave the camera behind, and explained that I would have plenty of time later for taking pictures. Fortunately, I passed the student program, and I did.

Embarassing moment for the student and instructor:

AFF jump going very well, all requirements met in plenty of time.. instructors points at the cameraman as in "Hey look over there at the camera!". Student recognizes the hand signal and pulls at 7K.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson