labrys

Embarrassing student "tricks"

Jump 17, one of my coached jumps. I was trying to get my braked approach signed off for my A license. I set up my pattern based on the first jumper down, but the winds shifted when I was at about 150 feet, so it was slightly downwind. While trying to figure out what direction to turn, i found myself still in half brakes at 25 feet. I know, I'll just let up on my brakes and flare normally!

Apparently PLFing works.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Jump 17, one of my coached jumps. I was trying to get my braked approach signed off for my A license. I set up my pattern based on the first jumper down, but the winds shifted when I was at about 150 feet, so it was slightly downwind. While trying to figure out what direction to turn, i found myself still in half brakes at 25 feet. I know, I'll just let up on my brakes and flare normally!

Apparently PLFing works.

Flaring too high / going to half brakes too low (assuming a flat turn/ flaring turn is not intended) is not an uncommon mistake for students and novice jumpers. It is a good example of what can lead to injury (or worse) under a small canopy is merely a bit embarrassing under a large canopy, especially if they remain heads up enough to perform a good PLF.

For Great Deals on Gear

For a year or so I thought fore & aft gear was called 4 & 1/2 gear. and wrote it down as such and told others this misinformation

That's a really, really embarassing thing to admit...I applaud your honesty...

Now.. go find me a board stretcher and a can of ohms ;)

You rawk!
Owned by Remi #?

Let's see. on my first 15 second delay, my jumpmaster counted 24 left-handed spins. On my solo checkout jump, I got a little over-zealous and whipped out the door about 60 seconds early and landed half a mile off the DZ. Between those two incidents, I became 'Chopper' and 'Super-spotter'
I'm glad we all have stories like that, lol.

Cheers,

Skydude
PULL!! or DIE!!

Hmm, well my AFF level 7 went really smoothly except for the fact that I was jumping with a new altimeter and new goggles. During freefall, I lost a contact lens because of the airflow into the goggles. I freaked out when all of a sudden I couldn't see and went slightly unstable. I quickly arched and checked my altitude, which appeared to be 4,000, so I pulled. Came in for my landing, was setting up to have a nice landing and my instructor starts telling me to turn. I listen to the instructor and turn, but its too late by that time. I look at my altimeter again and I'm 200 feet from the ground landing with the wind.

Flare, Stand up landing.... then the canopy blew forward and threw me on my face.

Only embarrased me.