packerboy

Chute didn't open... whuffo remark

How do you react to someone when they find out you skydive and they tell you...

I was at XYZ place when I was XYZ years old and seen a guy jump who's chute didn't open...

How many whuffo's do you know that know of fatalities at your own dropzone that you know didn't possibly occur?

How many whuffo's do you know that when you tell them where you jump they tell you... Oh don't jump there, I hear they are unsafe and a whole bunch of people have died there as a result, when you know all the facts and history about your place, and know it is a safe place.

Apparantly I know at least 5 or more whuffo's who have been at the scene of a bounce. Some even remark about somewhat recent incidents at my own dropzone that I know for fact did not happen.

Do you tell them that you know for a fact they are full of shit? Or do you just nod your head and say wow that must have been terrible and walk away thinking "They have no idea how much of an idiot they just made of themselves"?

I prefer the latter, but some people I just want to call them a liar to their face just to see how they react to that.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Tell me about it -- one friend got hearsay from another whuffo about something bad that happened but hasn't in recent memory, but I'm still trying to convince him to come and make a jump :-) He's still considering it nontheless, just need a bit more coaxing.

Or do you just nod your head and say wow that must have been terrible and walk away thinking "They have no idea how much of an idiot they just made of themselves"?

I prefer the latter, but some people I just want to call them a liar to their face just to see how they react to that.

No No
Say WOW dude how cool is that, what did it look like give me all the gory details. They'll just drop it :D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I had this happen to me on more than one occasion, On one occasion ended in a fist-fight. Just ignore their ignorance and let them hang themselves after that, scarcastically offer to buy them a beer for the "traumatic" experience they had and then offer to pay for their next tandem.B|

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

>Do you tell them that you know for a fact they are full of shit?

I don't much care, myself. Amy often hears skydivers spouting nonsense concerning orthopedic injuries; should she get personally offended when they give their "expert" opinion to other (often injured) jumpers? Heck, the same thing happens to me at malls when people explain to me how their cellphone is better. I once had a salesman explain to me how a certain phone charger worked with a certain phone. (I designed both the charger and the phone.) He was full of shit too, but it's just not much of an issue.

Heck just read all the post here from people that have "seen" a bounce. I mean "I was there and saw it happen...." kind of statements. "I've lost 47 people skydiving....." statements. What your talking about is not limitied to wffo's.

Disclaimer: I am not quoting ANYBODY and am making a general comment. If you have seen 47 people bounce, have 200 jumps and have been in the sport three years..............well stay away from where I jump.:P
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

Say WOW dude how cool is that, what did it look like give me all the gory details. They'll just drop it

I might have to try that approach next time. Sounds like a great time.B|

I've used Squeek's suggested response several times. If you just don't feel like screwing with someone that night, just say "Cool....", and ask them to ellaborate on whatever the hell they saw or heard. The tone changes like an exorcist cast Holy Water on it.

If you want ot screw with them, change it up. :):ph34r:

I egg them on...

"Yeah? I think I know who you're talking about! His name was and he really splattered. That's the guy, right?"

etc., etc., etc.

It's amazing how little rope some people need. When they ask for it, give it to 'em, eh?
:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I just explain them what they saw.

Can't argue with someone who knows they're right.

I try not to talk to whuffos. Mostly, when I do, I'm paid to do it, so it's OK. I certainly won't talk to them about skydiving.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Some people enjoy sticking their feet in their mouths.
Let them enjoy themselves.

Reminds me of the time I went into town for lunch and bumped into a co-worker. He told me about seeing two skydivers collide - under canopy - and die. He was not the least interested in my version of the story about me building a biplane - with another skydiver - and landing softly our normal landing area.

Don't bother talking to whuffos about it. They will never beilive you. They will always take the word of a friend who had and uncle, who had a freind, who had a sister, who had a girlfriend, who had a mother, who had an aunt, who knew someone, who had a freind who went skydiving and this awful thing happened. The awful thing is normally something that can't happeny anyway. So it just isn't worth dealing with them.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

>Do you tell them that you know for a fact they are full of shit?

I don't much care, myself. Amy often hears skydivers spouting nonsense concerning orthopedic injuries; should she get personally offended when they give their "expert" opinion to other (often injured) jumpers? Heck, the same thing happens to me at malls when people explain to me how their cellphone is better. I once had a salesman explain to me how a certain phone charger worked with a certain phone. (I designed both the charger and the phone.) He was full of shit too, but it's just not much of an issue.

Better yet~

About 20 years ago, I did a demo in the Midwest for a Baskin-Robbins store's Grand Opening.

They had outside what they were calling, "The Worlds Largest Sundae"...near it were about 2500 little plastic cups stacked in a huge pyramid that I was suppose to swoop in and knock down cuing all the kids to come get a cup and start eating the display.B|

About 5 years later in So.Cal...
I'm at a late night party, when the host finds out I'm a jumper...he pulls out this photo he took of me nailing the cups in the parking lot, (2000 miles away) and tells me all about the time he saw a skydiver miss his landing spot and splatter himself in front a bunch of innocent kids. (Fucking skydivers!):$

He gave all the gory details...blood, bones, how he tried to help 'The Guy' but he died in his arms...:S

I was laughing to hard to tell him!:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

How do you react to someone when they find out you skydive and they tell you...(insert outlandish story here)

I try to remember that there was a time when I was a whuffo, and I didn't have any real understanding of what constituted a genuine skydiving story versus an outlandish claim that I may have heard from a friend at work.

Then I remind myself that we are all ambassadors of the sport and we all have a responsibility to, whenever possible, educate whuffos and help them understand our sport, but that's just me.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

Better yet~

About 5 years later in So.Cal...
I'm at a late night party, when the host finds out I'm a jumper...he pulls out this photo he took of me nailing the cups in the parking lot, (2000 miles away) and tells me all about the time he saw a skydiver miss his landing spot and splatter himself in front a bunch of innocent kids. (Fucking skydivers!):$

He gave all the gory details...blood, bones, how he tried to help 'The Guy' but he died in his arms...:S

I was laughing to hard to tell him!:D

haha, okay I'm all for walking away and just letting it be, but in a situation like that I think you are in fact obligated to point out how deep the bullshit he is standing in is. I love stories like that

Hey, don't be rude, maybe they just saw a cutaway..

I feel bad for the local cops and EMTs. Quite frequently, when someone sees a cutaway, they get called (happened this weekend). This is a little town and they likely realize that if the DZ isn't the one calling, then likely it's a false call. But they still have to respond, I assume.

As for this weekend's cutaway, that canopy landed in a cow pasture and one of our guys talked to the farmer, climbed the fence and went through a ton of cow manure and curious cows to retrieve a friend's main. He got a lot of flack for coming back smelling like a cow pasture. I think he's a great friend and true skydiver for doing that for one of the newbies. Miles is cool.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I feel bad for the local cops and EMTs. Quite frequently, when someone sees a cutaway, they get called (happened this weekend)

Last february during a beach jump, a friend had a spinning mal. He chopped and rode the reserve to the beach... 2 minutes later there was a police boat and helicopter looking for a jumper in the ocean. We told them is a a empty canopy and they left.

5 months later im still listening to the stories of the skydiver that drowned and his body never recovered. I have explained the real story about 20 times....B|
HISPA #93
DS #419.5

We have the local 911 do a call back to us in most cases to confirm an incident has taken place before they send units out. ;)

while writing my post I was thinking that exact thing and will bring to the attention of the DZOs

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

In Canada I'm positive they would respond anyway. They can't legally decide which caller is right and which is wrong without investigating the first call. What if the person they called back to wasn't in the know?

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson