Jeth

Do you wear your wedding ring when you jump?

Re: [CornishChris] Do you wear your wedding ring when you jump? [In reply to] Quote | Reply

You know I was quoting someone else don't you...

CJP

I think that's a question you should ask yourself...oh wait, you did.:D:D
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

The way I see it is a ring is an admittance that you are taken and if there is horny chick aboard you don't want that to happen. Females always check the ring finger of guys they find attractive. And don't forget the mark left from tanning if you remove the ring. That is a dead giveaway.

I don't wear much jewlery at all if ever, but when I am lucky enough to get married, I wont wear a ring while skydiving. I value my fingers and life.

The less things I can do to complicate jumping the better. I would hate to die in the name of vanity.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The more important question is, do you wear it if you are a tandem master with a posse of sorority girls out to make tandem jumps for the day? ;)

That's the spirit in which I thought the question/poll was originally asked.

My ring hasn't left my finger since the day we married, and would now require a tool for removal. The callous built up on the bottom side of the finger could probably be sanded or clipped and the ring gotten over it. But over 19 years, the knuckle has swollen to the point where removal of the ring would definitely require a tool - such as the doorframe of the plane.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

"why wear a ring and risk losing a finger?"

Why jump and risk death or serious injury? I mean if your going to stop doing something to lower your risk, that would be the best way. How many fingers have been ripped off while skydiving? Lots of things could happen. Millions of jumps every year, and how many times has it happened.

because jumping gives a lot of pleasure to people.

wearing a ring on a skydive doesn't. theres no reason you need to wear it on a skydive. so why risk even a 1 in a thousand chance you lose a finger because of it?

MB 3528, RB 1182

"wearing a ring on a skydive doesn't. theres no reason you need to wear it on a skydive"

Because wearing my ring gives great pleasure to my wife and I'm willing to take a very small risk to give her that pleasure. I think 1 in 1000 is probably far from the actual number. How many people do you know that have lost a finger from skydiving with their ring on?

"wearing a ring on a skydive doesn't. theres no reason you need to wear it on a skydive"

Because wearing my ring gives great pleasure to my wife and I'm willing to take a very small risk to give her that pleasure. I think 1 in 1000 is probably far from the actual number. How many people do you know that have lost a finger from skydiving with their ring on?

Good question. Anyone know of this happening?

My band is so tight to my flesh, literally buried in callous on the bottom side; that I can't see how it would snag on anything. It would be very tough to do on purpose and by design. My altimeter, goggles, chin strap snap, RSL clip, and just about everything else I wear on a jump are more of a snag hazard than my wedding band.

But again, ever happen to anybody? Any incidents ever result from this?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

if i had been wearing a ring when i got my finger caught on the plane, i would be missing two fingers.

during climbout, the lowtimer 4way i was on left without a count, and pulled me out with them... while i still had my hand gripping a peice of metal.

and i have heard stories about fingers being ripped off due to rings. i dunno how many are true though.

MB 3528, RB 1182

though I wonder how many dopes take off their rings still have tons of crap looped through their faces

:D:D:D

After years of putting it on, taking it off, putting it on . . . I finally quit wearing a ring at all. Valinda is quite cool with that (Thanks, Honey ) and the whole damn world knows I'm married anyway. B|

No I don't. But for me it's just an excuse.
I don't like to wear my wedding ring (or any ring...).
I started to take it of only for skydiving and then I sometimes "forgott" to put it on again and now I don't wear it at all anymore.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

When I was jumping in the army a Sargent Major on my load had his finger cut off because his wedding rig got caught on the door of a C 130.

The funny thing is that the finger did not fly away and the jumper next to him grabbed it, put it in his jump suit and gave it to the paramedics on the ground.

They wear able to re-attach it.

I never wear mine while skydiving or BASE.
Memento Audere Semper

YES. But then you as an individual have a right to do whatever you please. I know it is always easier to justify your own position even when others who have seen the results try to offer some advice, happens all the time on here. Oh, by the way, I have seen it happen with jewelery other than rings also. I ahve a lot of dead friends over the years, but even more who have had skin removed by parts of airplanes in ways I doubt you could imagine. I was wondering though if you ever asked your wife if she would really feel better you were removing one more point of injury while you were jumping, or does she really think that the ring is so significant in your lifes that you should have on even for those few moments?
Rainbo
TheSpeedTriple - Speed is everything
"Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting."

Never take mine off. It's been on ever since my husband put it on in the church 8 years ago. Since than my husband died so it will only ever come off purposely if someone deserves it one day. I wear no other jewelry while jumping.

Take risks not to escape life but to prevent life from escaping