tomvailco

deployment time

Depends on the canopy. My Stiletto is damn snivelly and can take 550-700 feet to open.

Student Navigators that I've seen are a bit brisker and were usually open around 400-500 feet. About the same for Manta's as well.

Your question is really along the lines of "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" It's really going to vary from canopy to canopy. Even among the same model & size. 500' is a good average though.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

some can take 1k to fully open

The concept of a 1000' opening is a myth. If someone's canopy takes that long to open, then you're hanging under a snivelling canopy for approx 10 secs or more. At that point, it's called a streamer.;)

A canopy that takes more than 600-700 feet to open needs to be fixed.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

The concept of a 1000' opening is a myth. If someone's canopy takes that long to open, then you're hanging under a snivelling canopy for approx 10 secs or more. At that point, it's called a streamer.;)

I agree - if it takes 1,000ft+ for an opening its a malfunction. Although I think you could go through 1,000ft in probably 5-6 seconds even with a sniveling canopy. Can you tell the difference between 600-1000ft? I would say most beginners could not. That is proabably where the 1,000ft 'myth' comes from.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Count the seconds next time you deploy, or look at your altimeter. If you're flat and stable, standard calcs use 5.5 seconds per 1000 feet.

So if I count five or six seconds for the opening, the opening will have taken 1000 feet?

If I really do fall at freefall speed until the end of the 1000 feet, wouldn't the opening hurt a lot?

Mark

So if I count five or six seconds for the opening, the opening will have taken 1000 feet?

I am not an expert in these matters. My guess is you'd be somewhat less than 1000 feet due to the drag of deployment.

If I really do fall at freefall speed until the end of the 1000 feet, wouldn't the opening hurt a lot?

I would expect a gradual deceleration during the opening sequence. Wouldn't expect a sudden stop after that long of an opening.
We are all engines of karma

Count the seconds next time you deploy, or look at your altimeter. If you're flat and stable, standard calcs use 5.5 seconds per 1000 feet.

120 mph is like 147 fps. This gives us 6.8 seconds per thousand.

Under canopy we can expect something along the lines of 20 fps vertical speed. Split the difference between freefall and canopy and you get 83 some-odd fps, which gives more like 12 seconds per thousand. This is a more realistic working speed for deployment, since a constant deceleration model is a lot closer to the way MY parachutes open than is a thousand feet (or whatever) of snivel at terminal, followed by a WHAM that takes me to an open canopy.

Thus, a 5.5 second opening burns up less than 500 feet, NOT 1000. If you have used up 1000 feet in less than 7 seconds after you attempt to deploy, it's time to go to silver.

Blue skies,

Winsor

oh right, guess I could do the math myself :$
I'll count the seconds on sunday!

How about checking the altimeter as you toss the pilotchute and as soon as you're fully open? Counting seconds is not a very precise way of measuring time even on solid ground without the rush of freefall thrown in.

yeah that's what I'll do, I just have to look at it twice

How about before you begin to make changes to your dive plan that you discuss any additions or changes with your instructors?

Your instructors are the ones teaching you at the DZ in person, dont take any advice and add it to your instructional jumps without talking to them first - please...

You are going to have plenty of time to check these things out in the future, right now you need to concentrate on your training.
-
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

yeah that's what I'll do, I just have to look at it twice

Do you have a chest mounted altimeter or hand mount? I'm not your instructor so I don't know how stable you have been in free fall. ****Talk with your instructor before doing this****...however, one way to do this with a hand mount would be when you reach back to deploy you are already bringing the opposite hand (altimeter) toward your line of sight looking forward. Just keep an eye on your altimeter through deployment.

Again, discuss with your instructor. You already have enough going on with just getting your canopy deployed.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

in reply to "How about checking the altimeter as you toss the pilotchute and as soon as you're fully open? Counting seconds is not a very precise way of measuring time even on solid ground without the rush of freefall thrown in. "

Nice idea...cactus in practice;)
This method would not necessarily be very precise due to poss pressure variations and the human eyeball to brain factor.

You could try timing a video shot of your opening.

from pitch to open canopy.....my pilot takes 800 ft.

and yes, I have watched my alit from pitch to open.

When I roll and tuck the nose it takes right under 1000ft.

Took awhile to get used to but I do love the comfy openings.

This is also from a nice belly to earth. When I pitch out of a track or sit (I go to belly first) I dont give enough time for complete deceleration and the opening are (of course) a bit quicker (but no slammers)
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

i
Nice idea...cactus in practice;)
This method would not necessarily be very precise due to poss pressure variations and the human eyeball to brain factor.

You could try timing a video shot of your opening.

cactus...:D The original question was "How far do you fall?", hence my suggestion.
Just by the way- most of my deployments feel longer (timewise) than my video shows them to be. I don't like super-snivelly openings, but sometimes what feels totally normal looks closer to a spanker on video. Funny thing, temporal distortion...

120 mph is like 147 fps. This gives us 6.8 seconds per thousand.

(120 miles / 1 hour)*(1 hour / 3600 seconds)*(5280 feet / 1 mile) = 176 feet / second

1 mph = 1.46 fps

1000 feet / (176 feet / second) = 5.68 seconds.

I can also say that it takes about 10 seconds for the first 1000 feet from first hand experience. Just over 11 seconds is very close to 1250 ft.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

is that so? hmmm, would you like to jump my canopy then? it usually takes about 700 to 1k to fully be sitting in the sattle.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

The concept of a 1000' opening is a myth.

A myth? Really? A myth? Hmmm... A myth as in a fanciful tale that promoted some ideal but never really happened or happens?

I jumped a Hornet that regularly took anywhere between 900-1200 feet to fully open for about 100 jumps and it didn't seem all that mythical to me. As long as it was open before I reached my hard deck, I was okay with it. It annoyed me on occasion but I lived with it.

No myth as far as I was concerned, just a freakin' slow opening canopy.
Owned by Remi #?

Yep,

I took the hornet 150 up this weekend (havent jumped it in a while) at a WL of 1:1 and took about 1050 for complete inflation (not including end cells).

and I agree with you labrys, "I just deal with them". :ph34r:
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

The concept of a 1000' opening is a myth. A canopy that takes more than 600-700 feet to open needs to be fixed.

My pilot always takes 800-1000 ft to open, depending on how many rolls on its nose it got whilst being packed. Very comfy and I've not known anything else.

When we had a chat about peoples opening durationas at the DZ, out CCI's comment was (quote) "christ, I'd chop that fucker". ;) So I guess everyones mileage varies :) Most people I jump with say their canopy takes about 800ft to open.