Skylark

How many jumps before you purchased your own rig?

Otherwise buy a container system that is made for you(there is nothing like a rig that actually fits), and size it one size smaller than the USED main that you start on.

This is exactly what I did, jumping it for the first time on jump 74.

Rental gear at my DZ never fit correctly...i have a really short torso. I also ended up waiting around for gear to be available. (Thankfully Archway solved this last year by purchasing brand new Wings...and lots of them!)

I now have 200 jumps on my gear....and will probably downsize the main this season.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

At 307th jump

That way i could get myself canopy small enough to be able to jump it at least another 1000 jumps. I got my "experience" on rented/borrowed canopies so it's not like i'm getting from student canopy directly to a pocket rocket.
If i'd get myself a canopy at around 50th jump, i'd want to change it now for what i just bought.
"George just lucky i guess!"

19 jumps. I bought my gear. had it ready when I had 23.

why?
(I-NON skydiving-broke my collarbone after jump 19 and was out for 7 months. i had time and money to buy all new stuff excpet the main! that was used)
My photos

My Videos

< 50 jumps here- around 25 or so- (Don't have my logbook handy-) Still jumping it - Went directly from the big Mantas to a Spectre 150 (1.2-1.3-)- I do NOT endorse that kind of rapid downsizing to anyone!!
It was the right deal at the right time, and I couldn't justify 20 bucks a pop for rental gear to myself.

Easy Does It

I got mine on my 30th jump. I was jumping club kit up until then and because i am tall the harness came up high and i was very uncertain about my abilty to perform emergency procedures with the handles so high up if i had a spinning mal. Also i like to have my own stuff ;)

------------------------------------------------

"All men can fly, but sadly, only in one direction"

I bought mine with more than 200 jumps and there were 2 reasons for that.
1) Money - I didn't have the money right away and had to save it monthly. It took me 2 years because I wanted to have a totally new rig with cypres and that amounted to $ 4000
2) I wanted a canopy and a size that would be useful for me for a long time, so no use buying something relatively big to start with

HISPA # 18 POPS # 8757

#35 I demo'd the used gear that I bought on jump #37. I didn't intend on buying so soon, but the deal was great and rental equipment was pricey. The container will take a main one size smaller, but I don't intend on downsizing any time soon.

I definately couldn't have made as many jumps as I did last year if I'd been forking out for rental gear, so it's been worth every penny.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

I bought mine at 30-something.

Why? Why not? Why would I want to keep jumping student gear?!?!?!?

By 30 jumps I'd gotten to the point where I was jumping a canopy in a reasonable size, that I could forsee jumping for another year or two.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Bought it used from a friend at the DZ after about jump 18 or so (hence no poll response, since there's no entry for < 50). Looked ahead to all those gear rental charges and scraped the money together.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

Jump 47. Why? Because I wanted to learn to pack. I took a packing class, but wasn't allowed to pack the rental gear at the DZ. I knew the only way I was going to really learn to pack would be to get my own gear and pack it and jump it.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I jumped mine at jump # 12. I ordered it with 5 jumps.

Talon 2
Raven II
Swift +175
NO AAD.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I just bought my first rig last month. A saucy little (or not so little, it has a 190 in it) Infinity I like to call "Red Lightening". :P

The last mosquito that bit me had to book into the Betty Ford Clinic. -Patsy

Had my own rig before I had finished RAPS.
Completed my RAPS by jump no 26.
On my 27th jump I was out the plane in my own
gear.
Nothing better than not having to wait around for club gear to be packed and then picked up by someone else.
Also the cost effectivness of it.
Yep it's a lot to lay out to start with but then it gets cheaper. At least I don't have to pay £10 extra per jump now :)

www.myspace.com/durtymac

I got my first rig with 13 jumps. It was a racer with a Robo 185. I didn't see that option in your poll. I can't for the lights of me understand why somebody would want to rent gear for 50 jumps unless they were not sure that they were going to continue in the sport or if they had money to waste on rentals. With less than 50 jumps I had already ordered my second rig with a sabre 150. I had that by my 65th jump.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

Jump #59. Would have had it sooner, but I didn't have the $$$. 40 jumps later got another rig. 10 jumps later traded the 1st for another one. Around 100 jumps and I've had 3 rigs, 2 of which are here with me.

Cheap.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I got my first rig with 13 jumps. It was a racer with a Robo 185. I didn't see that option in your poll. I can't for the lights of me understand why somebody would want to rent gear for 50 jumps unless they were not sure that they were going to continue in the sport or if they had money to waste on rentals. With less than 50 jumps I had already ordered my second rig with a sabre 150. I had that by my 65th jump.

I think maybe if you are not a light jumper, buying a rig real soon is a good option. For me (exit 150 lbs) waiting until I was ready to jump a 150 took 75 jumps. Even then, I´m on my third main (of which 2 new) in 1 1/2 years, which is sorta ridiculous in my opinion :P. I did make sure the (2nd hand) container could handle downsizing, I now still can go one size down.

I bought a brand new spectre 150 for a first main, which I only put 117 jumps on, that´s sorta a waste of money since I could´ve rented for cheaper. But I like having my own rig, because it fits, and has canopies I like and know in it. But still, even with the 180 jumps I made in my first year, renting is prolly cheaper...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

But then again renting depends on having a rig to rent. At my DZ there are only two rigs that are available and they're the CI's and DZO's.

I just bought my first rig. 97 Racer Elite with a Sabre 150 and PD143R. It's currently at a rigger getting some stuff done to it, but it should be ready for this weekend, if the weather is kind...
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

But then again renting depends on having a rig to rent. At my DZ there are only two rigs that are available and they're the CI's and DZO's.

Hmmm true. We´re lucky here, we got a student 280 and 230 rigs at the DZ, and The Parachute Case is next door, they have a selection of larger to smaller (135 main) rental rigs, and also CRW rigs/mains. They are also a PD Demo Centre. So there´s no excuse here for not trying out a couple of different main sizes/models ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia