rocketguy

Bad Reaction From a Wuffo

Today I was at a birthday party for a kid of a woman that my wife works with. I was talking to the kid's grandfather, a perfect stranger before today, and he found out that I was a skydiver. For some reason, he was downright upset and accused me of "having a death wish". He kept saying that he was a doctor and wanted me to see a psychiatrist to analyze my motivation or whatever.

So, basically I just wanted to vent because it got me pretty mad. But has anyone else encountered this type of reaction?>:(
I can't think of anything funny to put in my signature line...

ask him if he drives a car, if he says yes, tell him to go see a psych, about his death wish on the freeways and such. haha. just don't let reactions like this get to you. everyone has their own opinions, and they will never change. all you can really do is nod and smile. ... I've gotten negative reaction a few times, but mostly people are in aww by the fact, . yes, i do get the 'perfectly good plane' statement a lot, but after i explain to them the fun, excitement, and equipment i use.. they let up a little bit. mostly, they want to try a jump some day.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

That happend to me also a lot of times when I talked to skydivers and they knew I was BASE Jumping... :)The most easy thing to do is not to talk to these kind of people about your sport. Try not to convince them, it's a waste of time and energy... everybody is alowed to have his opinion.
Try to remeber your conversation with him after your next jump. You will see, you can not care less about some whuffos opinion after a good jump!
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

For some reason, he was downright upset and accused me of "having a death wish". He kept saying that he was a doctor and wanted me to see a psychiatrist to analyze my motivation or whatever.

Thats bang out of order man, I'd have told him to fuck off and mind his own business.

Then again, I can be less easy going than other people sometimes:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Well...different people have different responses to ignorance. Sometimes I can cope, sometimes it upsets me. This sounds more like a bad case of "freaky old people" and I'd probably have a laugh.

Best thing to do in a case like this, where he's basically just worried and angry because you put yourself in danger, is play mister stupid. Just ask him "How is it dangerous Sir?" and when he starts summing up stuff just sincerely (no sarcasm he can trace to avoid agression) respond "HOLY SHIT!!! I never realised it was that dangerous!!! I'm going to stop that crazy reckless behavior immedately. THANK YOU...KIND SIR" He'll feel great about himself, you'll have a laugh, bright skies are gonna clear up. Put on a happy face.

Also...unless you want to get stuck in a senseless argument which will get you absolutely nowhere, don't do the "driving-a-car-is-also-dangerous-and-what-about-prescribed-medication" thing. Seriously...90% of all human beings do not want to be convinced, and rest assure this gaffer wasn't part of the 10% that do(es). So why bother?

Having been burned several times the way you just were, I never mention to whuffos that I jump, and I ask my family not to, also. I realize that, being new to the sport, it's nice to have people "find out" (i.e., know) that you're a skydiver; but trust me – it's really not worth the bullshit.

Today I was at a birthday party for a kid of a woman that my wife works with. I was talking to the kid's grandfather, a perfect stranger before today, and he found out that I was a skydiver. For some reason, he was downright upset and accused me of "having a death wish". He kept saying that he was a doctor and wanted me to see a psychiatrist to analyze my motivation or whatever.

I ususally tell 'em to go fuck themselves. No point in trying to be reasonable to dicks. Life's too short for that.

No need to plummet to his level.

Invite him out to the DZ one weekend and show him how much fun folks are having, in as safe a way as we can... Just being on a DZ can be jolly hypnotic.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

>I ususally tell 'em to go fuck themselves. No point in trying to be reasonable to dicks.

Eh, life's too short to be telling people off. Who cares what wuffos think about what we do in the air? People think I'm nuts for skydiving. I think people who smoke are nuts. There's room for all kinds; I'm content to let em smoke in their back yards while I'm jumping.

ask him if he drives a car, if he says yes, tell him to go see a psych

The whole driving and skydiving thing really gets up my cunt, no idea why but it does. You cant compare the two. Im sick of hearing it to be honest.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

ask him if he drives a car, if he says yes, tell him to go see a psych

The whole driving and skydiving thing really gets up my cunt, no idea why but it does. You cant compare the two.

this is pure speculation as I'm relatively new, and feel free to correct me...but it seems the majority of incidents on the road and in the sport are cause by pilot/driver error rather than gear malfunction/vehicle breakdown...and just like how cars require inspection, maintenance, the same preventive messures are taken with reserve inspections and repacks, gear checks.

my 0.02 from observation so far

For a start a shit ton of people drive, im not actually interested in the ratio of drivers/deaths or skydivers/deaths.

What gets on my nerves is everytime i jump i know it can kill me, i practice my EP's on the lift 99% of the time.

Who gets in there car and says "i know i'll check my break fluid and tires, buckle up and perform an emergency stop."

People dont drive thinking "this is dangerous."

Maybe i have a chip on my shoulder on this issue but i really dont think driving is as dangerous.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Someone once told me I was crazy. So I saw a psychologist. The psychologist told me I was crazy. So I went to an insane aslyum. The insane aslyum told me I was crazy. So I escaped and came here. Nice to meet you! :)
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

According to Freudian interpretation, skydivers, and other high-risk takers have a death wish; their repetitive life threatening behaviors among the general populace would be considered as expressing suicide tendencies. However there is strong evidence that high risk activities are hard-wired into our brain. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter commonly associated with pleasure sensations in our brain. Activities such as eating and sex trigger release of dopamine. Other activities that are intense, such as high-risk sports like skydiving, also trigger a dopamine reaction. Those who repeatedly seek sensations from high-risk sports, such as skydiving, have been associated with lower levels of dopamine circulating in their bodies. Therefore, because they are often in a state of under-arousal, their desire to exercise risky behaviors is not necessarily associated with bringing on a high, but to bring themselves to a more normal state of arousal. Despite the public’s perception, extreme sport participants require constant care, intense training, and above all discipline and control. In other words, we're not ALL crazy. Present company accounted for! ;)

steveOrino

Hence the reason I don't let non-skydivers that I don't think of as close friends, know I skydive.

At the jump numbers you have, I'm sure you're very excited about the sport and want to share that with any one that will listen. Trust me, they don't want to listen and those that do will think you're crazy.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

You have two options and neither of them will change the whuffo's mind.

Option 1] Avoid the situation.

Option 2] Have fun with the situation.

I like to have fun with the situation. Say things like, "I do have a death wish, but I never get what I wish for.", "Skydiving is like playing rock, paper, scissors. I jump out and choose scissors, look down and see rock, quickly switch to paper, and I win. I hope I never forget to switch.", or "Two out of three voices in my head agree with you. It might be unanimous but I don't speak Spanish.".
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch