Meux

Black Belt Way

I didn't want to directly hijack bdrake529s thread, but here's a question. Any thought of making an all black belt formation? I wonder how many could participate.

I'm in.

Anyone?

Talk to Harry Hopkins in Texas... I'm sure he would be interested. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Well, my DZO and I are both TKD black belts. We've done quite a few two ways, RW, FF and CReW. Does that count?

:D Too easy... throw a few more in there and you've got a record... ;) And just for kicks, spar in freefall! :D That would make for a funny video.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

From wikipedia:

Six Sigma is a methodology to manage process variations that cause defects, defined as unacceptable deviation from the mean or target; and to systematically work towards managing variation to eliminate those defects

and

Black Belts ... apply Six Sigma methodology to specific projects. They devote 100% of their time to Six Sigma. They primarily focus on Six Sigma project execution,

In a nutshell. It might turn out to be the latest flavor-of-the-month process change paradigm, but it's too soon to tell now.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I own at least one black leather belt (I'm told it's to be worn with my black shoes :))

Can I play?

I'm sorry guys... don't beat me up or anything... I've been trying to resist and just couldn't any longer... :D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Flavor of the month process change paradigm?? It's how import automobile makers have been throttling N.A. vehicles for the last few decades! N.A. is just starting to get caught up and in some cases get ahead because they adopted this theory a decade ago. So many companies have been held back from getting there because greedy unions kept them from trimming the fat. But as the baby boomers retire, manufacturing companies are gaining back the control of the bottom line, which is why process change analysis is starting to pick up steam in the recent years. It's not flavour of the month.. it's a business model that works, and most bigtime companies are using it somehow. If only just paying consultants rediculous amounts of money to explain it how it works to their employees.

Added: I don't know much about martial arts, but I'm willing to bet that martial artists are the best trained athletes and mental pilots out there and if this is how they approach their training, that it is something that obviously works.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

I rather hope it doesn't turn into the flavor of the month. I rather believe in most of what it talks about.

But I also don't want it to turn into the hammer that makes every problem look like a nail. Because that's the best way for it to end up being the flavor of the month.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

"But I also don't want it to turn into the hammer that makes every problem look like a nail."

Like the approach they had at Enron? I certainly hope not too!

I don't think it will though, most champions for change are forward thinkers that look at the big picture. I would hope that those that wield the power for major change are carefull about where they swing the hammer. Of course if you can end up with some willy nilly hammer swinger as the president of your country, you could end up with one as the president of a company too. :D

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Hey, I'm in. Out of training in the extreme, but as long as I just have to jump and not fight any of you, I'll be fine.

I think we also have a new student on our DZ who might be a TKD black belt, but I haven't asked her about it.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I didn't know it when I went through AFF, but my instructor was a black belt. Then when I started TKD, both owners of the school were skydivers. When I moved to a new school, the one I earned my black belt at, that instructor was AIRBORNE!!.

So, how do we go about arranging a black belt formation? I'm thinking about starting at a boogie or large gathering and just asking people. Should be able to get an 8 way together. THen I started thinking about degrees. For example, an 8 way with 12 degrees in it. I'm only a first degree, but my first instructors were fourth and fifth. Heck a three way with those two would be a tenth degree jump.

Any chance of some freeflying black belts doing some wild looking poses, like flying jump kicks at 12,000'. I'm just a belly flier, so it would take a quick camera to catch me in anything other than face to earth.

So, here is a start. I'm thinking about going to Zhills on the 26th to get some of those high altitude jumps. Any black belts in the area at that time?

Cheers,

Mo

That is a great question. How do we verify each persons pedigree? In uniform or not, any problems with the ends of the belt flying around?

I've got a card from USPA that shows my license, but I don't have a card from the American TKD Association that shows I'm a first degree bb. I do have that fancy embroidered belt, but I suppose anyone could have something like that made.

Do we do pure TKD or let in all black belts? I'm in favor of all disciplines, both martial arts and skydiving. Can you see a really cool hydrid made of all black belts?

Other ideas, thoughts? Could be fun.

I've got a nice diploma from the International Shinson Hapkido Association. As for how the uniform looks, I'm the guy to the left in this picture.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...