1 1
melushell

To risk Sports?

hmm.....I"m guessing a translator was used to make this post, lol.

anywho, for anyone that didn't understand this, correct me if I"m wrong (and I don't have the answer)

He' heard there's a list that lists all the dangerous sports of the world and that skydiving is really low on that list compared to many of them.

Yeah dude, skydiving's the safest sport in the world, geeze, who would have you believing skydiving is dangerous ;):)

BE THE BUDDHA!

melule
every sport can be safe or risky, dangerous
every sport can be safe if u use the proper gear, training, knowledge, if u don`t push the limit`s (in the bad way... u know sometime pushing limit`s can be good)
there is no top`s or charts for this kind... if u ask the higher ratio of accidents (fatal) maybe from the aerosports i think that is deltaplaning (maybe i`m wrong)
going with the subway can be more dangerous than jumping from the plane

take kare melu

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

It sounds like you are complacent when you say "I KNOW skydiving is safe." COMPLACENCY KILLS!

wooee
this post is getting quite funky
first i wanna apologise for my english skills
and as i see only people with relative low experience give advice,no ofense dudes

i am not trying to discuss philosophy here, i was looking for an argumented answer
simple
(for the philosophy posts i will use other forums)
my first reason for my search, was to prove to people some misunderstandings about the sport and it's safety becsue it will be hell fun for me to find that golf is more dangerous than Skydive, and especially if it's proven by facts
hahahah

hopefully i can find it and upload it, and tahn we can see if is right or not
B|

[ get's ten foot pole]

Look dude, I'm not sure where you got the idea that skydiving is not dangerous, but you need to open your eyes. Have you bothered to read the incident reports, ever?
Yes, there may be more people dying on the golf course, but there are also a lot more people on the golf course than there are jumping from aircraft.

If you truly think that this is a safe sport then you need to take up basket weaving, as you are obviously too " challenged" to understand the risks involved with skydiving.

I'm not sure what part of " jumping from aircraft' you don't understand. Maybe you just haven't seen anyone hook themselves in, or never had a friend do it.
You can die, and jump long enough there's a good chance you'll get hurt, and very possibly die.
Make no mistake about this my friend, because a lack of respect for this sport is a sure path to disaster

edited for spelling, NOT content.....
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

okay
sorry guys i am not posting on this anymore
honestly i am quite dissapointed

i tought my question was simple
as i see this forum is getting more personal, and people are discussing my vison of skydiving safety
and making comments on it, even tough this wasn't my intention at all

if you wanna reply, please reply on the topic, all otehr comments can be adressed to me by a personal message or we can start a post on a different forum

thank you

You are not going to find stats that say Waterwater Rafting is 50% safer then playing hop-scotch in a mine field ;)

The risk is in the user. All sports have the potential for death, some have a higher chance then others though.

If you want to see whats the most dangerous, look at an insurance policy and see what they exclude. 90% of them exclude General Aviation and Skydiving. Skiing/Snowboarding is hardly ever excluded, but "Out of bounds" skiing/snowboarding almost always is.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

rock on brother! don't be discouraged by trolls on this site not to post. everybody knows something about everything around here, and they all want to be your mentor or some shit. just because they have a lot of "posts" doesn't mean they have a lot of jumps.
anyway, "dangerous sports" all depends on who's doing the study and what kind of #s they're manipulating. check this one out for instance...
http://my.webmd.com/content/article/92/101639.htm
personally, skydiving isn't dangerous enough for me, that's why i started BASE jumping. haha.
~E

try a google search for:
risk factor in extreme sports-

I have an article on my hd on "risk"...
will copy & paste it here for you- unsure if this is any help.

The danger and unpredictability that threaten your life on the slope can save you from the evils of stress back in cubicle land. And in case you don't take stress as seriously as a high-speed face-plant into the side of a mountain, know this: It kills. A 2003 study in the medical journal found that men with the highest stress levels had twice the risk of a fatal stroke compared with the slackers who said they were stress-free. So, Get stoked? Or get stroked?

The value of adrenaline-charged sports like downhill mountain biking isn't in stress reduction, by the way. It's in stress production. Researchers at Texas A&M University found that adventure sports such as rock climbing and white-water canoeing call up more cortisol and epinephrine--more commonly known as adrenaline--than public speaking, the acknowledged champion of redline stress reactions. And in this case, that's a good thing. That's because activities that are physically and mentally stressful help your body react better to stress in everyday life--if they meet three qualifications:

They're dangerous, involving the risk of death.

They're unpredictable, requiring your brain to adjust to changing conditions.

And they're social, increasing the pressure to perform well, whether it's for teammates or spectators. (Or cheerleaders!)

The scientists' other key finding: The fittest guys--based on treadmill-test performance--had lower levels of cortisol, epinephrine, and norepinephrine (an indicator of physical stress) than the least fit guys, both before and after performing the most challenging sports. So highly fit men handle stress better than not-so-fit guys, especially in new situations that pose some sort of risk. (For instance, that new corporate initiative the CEO just appointed you to lead.)

Put the science of stress-busting to practical use and you can change your life. Your charge: Seek out the thrill of new adventure sports, add adrenaline to your old favorites, and redefine the meaning of "fit" to include your harried, hassled mind.

Lester Keller, a longtime coach and sports-psychology coordinator for the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association, says that not everyone has the mental makeup to excel in dangerous pursuits. "It takes a certain kind of person," Keller said. He notes that most of us hit a natural ceiling that limits our appetite for extreme risk and, as a result, our ability to perform well in dangerous conditions. But others have a much higher tolerance, if not craving, for risk. For example, Keller points to Daron Rahlves, a top U.S. downhill ski racer who spends the summer off-season racing in motocross competitions. "He enjoys the challenge and the risk," Keller said.
"The high element of risk makes you feel alive, tests what you are made of and how far you can take yourself," Rahlves said in a previous interview with U.S. Ski Team staff. "I'm not looking for danger. I'm in it for the challenge, my heart thumping as I finish, the feeling of being alive," he said. "I definitely get scared on some of the courses. It just makes me fight more. … The hairier the course the better. That's when I do best."

The fear that drives many people away from the risks of extreme sports may be the same ingredient that keeps others coming back for more.

When Risk Becomes Real
Cook noted that as her expertise grew, so did the stakes. In a sport where skiers perform acrobatic tricks from the height of a five-story building, the consequences of a mistake can be serious.
"As I started doing harder tricks, I was drawn to the fear factor," she said. "There are definitely moments when you're up there doing a new trick and it seems like the stupidest thing in the world. But overcoming that [fear] is just the coolest feeling in the world. Doing something that you know most people wouldn't do is part of it."
Cook was forced to give up her spot on the 2002 U.S. Olympic ski team when risk became reality—she broke both feet during a training jump shortly before the games.
After two and a half years of surgeries and recovery, Cook recently made her first practice jumps into the splash pool at the training facility in Utah Olympic Park. She has set her sights on competing the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy.
How did the injury Cook experienced change her outlook on risk?
"As an inured athlete coming back, generally … my reaction is to stop and reduce the risk a bit," she said. "I've had to change my mentality a little bit now."
"I'm moving up to a jump that was natural before the injury, but now there is a fear of pain, injury, and even the fear of not being able to do it like I could before," she said. "Your body does remember how to do these things. But your mind sometimes gets in the way a bit."

Redefining Risk
Shane Murphy, a sports psychologist and professor at Western Connecticut State University, has worked with Olympians and other athletes. He says he is struck by the way they redefine risk according to their skills, experience, and environment.
"I've worked with groups climbing Everest, including one group without oxygen. To me that just seems like the height of risk. But [the climbers] took every precaution they could think of," he said. "To them it was the next step in an activity that they've done for years. They weren't going out there to get hurt."
Murphy said the perspective of extreme athletes is very different from our own. "We look at a risky situation and know that if we were in [that situation] we would be out of control," he said. "But from the [athletes'] perspective, they have a lot of control, and there are a lot of things that they do to minimize risk."

The Zone
Another key aspect of risk perception may be something referred to as "the flow" or "the zone." It is a state in which many athletes describe becoming absorbed in pursuits that focus the mind completely on the present.

I know for myself that skydiving induces "flow"
There is no sense of the self, but what is called a "merging on action and awareness" My action and reaction have become so well practiced as to be automatic in flight....I get a huge sense of ecstasy associated with the intense moments of "flow" when I am skydiving.

"Something that makes you begin climbing, perhaps, is that your adrenaline flows and you become very concentrated on what you're doing," Read said. "After it's over there's exhilaration. You wouldn't have that same feeling if the risk hadn't been there."
People of different skill levels experience "flow" at different times. As a result, some may always be driven to adventures that others consider extreme.

SMiles;)

rock on brother! don't be discouraged by trolls on this site not to post. everybody knows something about everything around here, and they all want to be your mentor or some shit. just because they have a lot of "posts" doesn't mean they have a lot of jumps

Brilliant. Thanks for posting so.:)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

okay
sorry guys i am not posting on this anymore
honestly i am quite dissapointed

oooh come on,j we all know you're going to read this thread again :)

sorry about the way I might've come off, I didn't mean to sound malicious, I meant what I said in a joking tone of voice.

Don't worry about apologising for you english, we can understand, that's all that matters.

ROCK OUT ON THE FORUMS! WOOO!!!

p.s. sorry that my posts in this thread have had no true value B|

BE THE BUDDHA!

I would think that the riskiest sport would be free climbing. You know it isn't a real sport unless you can die from massive internal trauma.

Chris
--------
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting 'Holy s#$* what a ride!'"

Freeclimbing, climbing Everest, deep sea depth diving... they all have fatalities rates that make skydiving look safe as taking a bath.

Here is an excerpt from the American Alpine association on death and Everest:

DEATH RATES
How deadly is Everest? A total of 91 climbers and 38 H-A porters died on Everest between 1980 and 2002. The average number of deaths per year was 5.6 (climbers and H-A porters combined), and two or more deaths occurred in all but one year (no death occurred in 1981). Death rates provide an insight into risk. Fortunately, observed death rates are surprisingly lower than what one might expect from the media. In the spring, roughly 1 in 54 climbers and 1 in 175 H-A porters died attempting Everest (Table 1). By comparison, 1 in 415 climbers died on Denali between 1990 and 2000; and roughly 1 in 25 died on K2 between 1954 and 1994. These data are consistent with the view that Everest is more dangerous than Denali, but safer than K2—especially given that climbers who attempt K2 are more skilled and experienced on average than those who attempt Everest. About 1 in 10 expeditions suffered the deaths of one or more climbers (Table 1); and about 1 in 19 suffered the deaths of one or more H-A porters. In contrast to patterns seen above for success rates, death rates by year have not changed significantly over time, either for climbers or for H-A porters.

A Death rate like that for Skydiving would put it any were from 86 deaths per year (Denali rate) for USPA members to 667 per year (Everest rate) to 1440 deaths per year (K2 rate) for USPA members. The figures go down when you figure in world wide jumper numbers... but extreme Alpine climbing is still more dangerous then jumping by magnitudes.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

being an amateur mountain climber myself (highest yet aconcagua, 22,851ft without O2), I must say that even when I know mountain climbing is more dangerous, skydiving feels more dangerous.

btw acoucagua is dissed as a huge hike to the top, but dealing with hypoxia and getting enough water and energy into your body is quite difficult. your body actually shouts at you to give up and turn back, and you override that and keep going, step by step.

an interesting note... a person I know who has climbed most 8000+ meter (26200tf+) mountains without O2 told me that Everest with O2 is maybe equivalent to 24000ft. And he dissed the main route as a tourist extreme hike that anyone in good shape, a bit of training and a lot of money can do.

--
Be careful giving advice. Wise men don't need it, and fools won't heed it.

>I would think that the riskiest sport would be free climbing.

Free climbing generally refers to a type of roped climbing where you do not use aid; I think you meant free soloing, which generally refers to solo climbing without protection. I think free climbing is relatively safe overall.

being an amateur mountain climber myself (highest yet aconcagua, 22,851ft without O2), I must say that even when I know mountain climbing is more dangerous, skydiving feels more dangerous.

I am not a climber (hope to do it in future) but after doing some research and reading a book by Erik Weihenmayer (a blind climber and skydiver who climbed numerous highest mountains including Everest) I realized that statistically climbing is way more dangerous than skydiving. However, this does not make skydiving any safer ;)

Ahhh, thanks, Tom. About 10 years ago, I saw a graph in Time magazine made using Acturial tables, which insurance underwriters use to assess risk. Skydiving was rated quite a bit more dangerous than snow skiing, hang gliding was 3 times worse that skydiving, and Mountain climbing was 10 times worse than that. I do tandems a bit, so I like your tandem stats.

:)

Ahhh, thanks, Tom. About 10 years ago, I saw a graph in Time magazine made using Acturial tables, which insurance underwriters use to assess risk. Skydiving was rated quite a bit more dangerous than snow skiing, hang gliding was 3 times worse that skydiving, and Mountain climbing was 10 times worse than that. I do tandems a bit, so I like your tandem stats.

Here is another good collection of data from the National Safety Council http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

Keep in mind that the ten year fatality rate for experienced skydivers is about one fatality for every 1,000 active jumpers (average annual USPA membership divided by average number of fatalities), and the annual USPA member injury rate is one reported doctor visit for every 22 members (as listed on USPA membership renewal forms).

At my drop zone, our injury rate last year, as measured by ambulance calls, was one ambulance call for roughly every 3,000 jumps. The previous year it was about 1 ambulance call for every 2,225 jumps. Remember these numbers are from a single DZ in a single year, actual statistics will vary a bunch There have been a lot more ambulance calls at my DZ this year, so I wouldn't read too much into the year-to-year statistic.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I heard those days about a top made by someone with the most riskiest sports in the world
as far as i heard skydiving was way low compared to a lot of other sports
and i am courious where can i find the top or if anyone heard about it

There is no top, at least not a factual one. Death counts are fairly well known, but participation rates are rarely more than guesses, within one order of magnitude.

Skydiving is quite dangerous - don't kid yourself - but most of the risks are controllable and selectable. Exit separation, canopy selection and flying styles, etc.

But it's much safer than many sports, starting with BASE as an obvious example. Less time, no reserve chute, and less open sky to work with. The base wingmen folks are pioneers and it's always dangerous to be front runners.

Glacier mountaineering has too many uncontrollables. Weather can develop and hit much more quickly that climbers can get out of exposed stretches. You may be on a face for hours, at the mercy of the skill of the people above you. And the rock or ice you're attaching yourself to may not be solid. Could be a massive crevasse below. Avalanches above. Climbers have methods to mitigate these risks, but there's a much greater element of luck than there is for skydiving.

I suspect hanggliding and paragliding are in the same ballpark as skydiving for risk, though those going to fly on spectacular alpine ridges might be approaching BASE on the danger level.

Lots of new dangerous "sports" have emerged of late, like mountaing biking down a cactus mountain while juggling chainsaws. Too many seem devised for the purpose of an audience though. Big wave surfers will keep a new spot secret until they can get enough footage to sell a DVD. I have a hard time personally seeing many of them as sport, but your "top" is probably somewhere in there.

In terms of heart attacks, bowling and hunting are well up there for deaths, but you probably are more interested in risk for a given healthy person, not to the whole population.

True story I was told at my DZ a fortnight ago when the weather was bad :
There was a meet of all UK airsports a few years ago, to discuss a variety of topics primarily a response to new european legislation on airways etc.

As part of this there were break-out sessions on things like crisis management, fatality procedures etc. When they were grouping up to go off and discuss these, the chairman suggested to the representatives of the aero-modellers (the people that fly remote controlled model aircraft) they might like to take a break since this session wouldn't really be relevant to them.

The chair of that group indignantly pointed out his sport had had four fatalities that year already. Amazed, people asked for more information since it was apparent that for the year-to-date, aero-modelling was the UK airsport with the highest fatality count. Apparently, there had been 2 when a guy flew his plane through the hatch of a burger van at a festival, another one where the pilot had flown the plane into the back of his head, and another where the pilot had wanted to fly his plane straight at his camera to film it pulling up at the last minute. He bent down and watched the approach through the viewfinder, then as he pulled back the stick stood up to watch the rest of the plane's flight, flying it straight into his face. The representative finished off by saying "that's just the fatalities, we've had several serious injuries too!". The session degenerated into chaos.

My point? Every sport has dangers, even when you don't imagine they possibly could. We can control them but they will still exist. And, at any given moment, any sport can be statistically more or less dangerous than another. Most people would imagine that building and flying remote control model aircraft was safer than going up in real ones and then jumping out - yet there was a period in the UK when statistically aero-modelling was the sport with the higest fatality count!

So I don't think there can ever be an accurate or useful answer to your question, sorry. Tom's article quoted above is a much better explanation of why not than I could come up with.

Best just to concentrate on minimising the risks of the sport we're in than worry about how they compare to those of the ones we're not, and accept that anything worth doing comes at a price.

BSBD

Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..