Oke

Icing

Icing....seem possible...numbers add up. What's your take on popping through cloud in the winter time and picking up some ice on your body?

Or maybe the numbers don't add up? Too fast through the layer of cloud and not enough time to pick anything up?
I'm sure one could pick up icing...any stories out there?:)
Not that winter jumping is somthing I'm game for.
-Adam Oke

Icing....seem possible...numbers add up. What's your take on popping through cloud in the winter time and picking up some ice on your body?

Or maybe the numbers don't add up? Too fast through the layer of cloud and not enough time to pick anything up?
I'm sure one could pick up icing...any stories out there?:)
Not that winter jumping is somthing I'm game for.

I got icing while climbing out on the exit once. I had a full-face helmet and was focused on the guy keying the exit, so I didn't notice it at the time, but one of the TI's watching told me my upwind side was solid white before I let go of the plane.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Once i went thru an ice cloud, i had an open helmet (long live freefly). I entered the 'ice zone' at 11k, i pulled at 5k and i was still bombarded with hail, around 3k the hail went to rain, a lot of rain. I was soaking wet, my face was red and totally covered with bumps, like i had a strange desease. People asked me why i didn't go on my back...I DID but then the hail was impacting the back of my neck. So i lay in a kind of foetus position for 6000ft:ph34r:

And yelling in freefall: aaawwf*cksh*tdamn this hurts!!! >:(

20 minutes later it was blue skies again and i had to jump to dry my gear ;)

I think the military has documented accounts from ejected pilots who encountered ice in its various forms in the atmosphere.
There was abook called "The Man Who Rode Thunder" by an Air Force pilot who ejected into a severe thunderstorm and experienced mother nature's weather phenomenons first hand back in the early 60s. I'd love to find a copy of that book again.
There are several mechanisms by which ice will form on a surface, and a jumper freefalling into the proper conditions could pick up noticeable amounts of ice in a few seconds.
I've had it happen skydiving, but the ice was less a factor than the poor visibility inside a very dense cloud.
Flying a King Air, IFR somewhere over Louisiana a few years ago in an area with no forecast icing conditions, I flew into a patch of clouds that coated the windscreen, wings and tail and pitot tubes with a half-inch of ice in 30 to 45 seconds. By the time I turned on the pitot heat, foolishly left off, and cycled the deice boots, etc., the airplane was clear of the icing area and we proceeded IFR in the soup to Mobile, Ala. without seeing any more ice
Zing Lurks

Yes. It gets wet. And so do you.

Don't.

While amusing, chuckle chuckle, that doesn't answer his question: "does the canopy fly differently when wet?". :P

I have gone through rainy conditions twice and I didn't notice any difference in stability, glide, or flare on landing even with the canopy considerably wet.

I am curious about this answer also.

I have iced up my fullface, but never my jumpsuit. Thats shit hurts. [:/]
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Not to be an A$$ or anything but this can be dangerous. Clouds aren't in & of themselves dangerous, but you have to think about what it can mean if the FEDs ever saw this.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/0/4042af61b56f7feb86256eec006d3ccc!OpenDocument

Sec. 105.17

No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow a parachute operation to be conducted from that aircraft—
(a) Into or through a cloud, or

(b) When the flight visibility or the distance from any cloud is less than that prescribed in the following table:

Like I said, I'm not an experienced jumper, but from a pilot's perspective, you could really get him/her into some $hit if the Feds found out jump ops. were done through a cloud deck.

Just something to think about.....

A couple of Novembers ago Chris Owens [now of Eloy]and I took up the last load of tandems for the sundownish load. There was a front coming and there wasnt going to be jumping the next day.. Climbout was fine, After leaving the plane at 13000 I noticed it was different than the last jumo. Freezing rain ,I didnt wear gloves with the time factorto get the load up. I was able to scrape the ice on my goggles with a thumb nail to read my altimeter. It was a surprise when my student wanted to go right back up never even knowing what we just did.

I think the military has documented accounts from ejected pilots who encountered ice in its various forms in the atmosphere.
There was abook called "The Man Who Rode Thunder" by an Air Force pilot who ejected into a severe thunderstorm and experienced mother nature's weather phenomenons first hand back in the early 60s. I'd love to find a copy of that book again.
There are several mechanisms by which ice will form on a surface, and a jumper freefalling into the proper conditions could pick up noticeable amounts of ice in a few seconds.
I've had it happen skydiving, but the ice was less a factor than the poor visibility inside a very dense cloud.
Flying a King Air, IFR somewhere over Louisiana a few years ago in an area with no forecast icing conditions, I flew into a patch of clouds that coated the windscreen, wings and tail and pitot tubes with a half-inch of ice in 30 to 45 seconds. By the time I turned on the pitot heat, foolishly left off, and cycled the deice boots, etc., the airplane was clear of the icing area and we proceeded IFR in the soup to Mobile, Ala. without seeing any more ice

William H. Rankin wrote "The Man Who Rode The Thunder", it's available for purchase and I'd love to read it but they are REAL proud of it! :S I'll be checking libraries. :)

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

Not to be an A$$ or anything but this can be dangerous. Clouds aren't in & of themselves dangerous, but you have to think about what it can mean if the FEDs ever saw this.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFAR.nsf/0/4042af61b56f7feb86256eec006d3ccc!OpenDocument

Sec. 105.17

No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow a parachute operation to be conducted from that aircraft—
(a) Into or through a cloud, or

(b) When the flight visibility or the distance from any cloud is less than that prescribed in the following table:

Like I said, I'm not an experienced jumper, but from a pilot's perspective, you could really get him/her into some $hit if the Feds found out jump ops. were done through a cloud deck.

Just something to think about.....

Not everyone here is from the states, and I do believe that some other countries allow people to jump through clouds.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Not everyone here is from the states, and I do believe that some other countries allow people to jump through clouds.

Nope, in my country also forbidden

http://geography.about.com/cs/countries/a/numbercountries.htm

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

didn't noticed much difference. i guess when it's wet it becomes a superZP canopy :)

However, when it dries, lines, tapes and fabric may shrink differently, affecting shape, and thus performance.

So no, a wet canopy doesn't really fly any different. It may open just a little harder. A dry canopy, on the other hand ..
Johan.
I am. I think.

I jump year round in CO and have gotten out at 11K with temperatures at altitude around -5 or -10F. Had to pull my goggles up to see my altimeter. When I got under canopy I had a pretty solid layer of ice on my jumpsuit and helmet. It had mostly melted by the time i got inside and left my jumpsuit pretty wet.

>I'm sure one could pick up icing...any stories out there?

I've picked up ice on high altitude jumps, but the worst problem I ever had with icing came from me.

During the 2002 300-way attempts, we got 26,000 feet on one jump. Exit temperature was -34F. I exited, took a breath in, breathed out - and my visor went completely opaque with frost. Fortunately my visor doesn't fit very well and I could look out the crack between the top of the visor and the helmet. Other people were taking their helmets off and opening their visors in freefall to be able to see, with limited success. (Note that at -34F your eyes freeze too.) Needless to say we didn't get it on that jump.

I have iced up my fullface, but never my jumpsuit. Thats shit hurts. [:/]

I was thinking of a fullface to stop the cold in the puckker months, are you saying full face helmets hurt with ice.

Just to know whether it would be worth the cost.

Steve
it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.