Vertifly

What if you fell out of an airplane without a parachute?

{thats why they make swoop ponds out of concrete then Doos... }

Doos?!? Granted I have not lived in South Africa for a few years, but thats not the nicest word in the world is it :P.

It is hilarious seeing that word on the 'Net though! It conveys a meaning like no other language can!:D

The thing to do is cross your right arm over the front to your left side then cross your left arm behind your back to the right side, cross your right leg over your left leg. this won't make your chance for survival any better , but it will make it easer for the rescue crew to unscrew you out of the ground.

Only the good die young, so I have found immortality,

but here's a question for all: do you want to see it coming or not? stare it in the face, and fight til the end; or turn over and try to accept it and relax one last time?

apparently relaxing is the best way to survive certain things (dont know about this though). for example your more likely to survive a car crash when asleep (passenger or not...) or plane crash etc as you dont see it coming and therefore are relaxed, dont ask me the medical science behind it but its supposedly true. then again even with your eyes closed on your back you'd still know it was coming relatively soon

admitting that i have rather limited experience -- those souls that i have seen attempting to intersect with the earth without the benefit of an open parachute have made a rather sizable dent and finished their excursion a few feet away.

as for landing in water -- anything over say about 30 mph and water becomes VERY incompressible -- i wasnt there but back around 1981 at a lake in central florida a person demonstrated this -- rumor had it that disassembly resulted.

question that statement about a flat track slowing down rate of descent -- anyone got the math model on that?

question that statement about a flat track slowing down rate of descent -- anyone got the math model on that?

On one of my jumps i reached 67mph vertical in a flat track without wingsuit or anything like that (I'm 115 lbs :)). Have a look at the freefall graph that I've got off my Altitrack. I'm guessing that I can do a lot better, if I held it longer reaching the new terminal. Also, it was one of my early tracking attemps (jump #39 starting with S/L), and I was in a nylon rw suit.

... yeah, those How Stuff Works guys got some drugs... some really good drugs... :P

Anyway... me... depends on what kind of mood I'm in...

Good mood...

Try to make peace with my maker and be as calm as possible as I leave this world and not try to take anyone or anything with me.

Pissy mood...

Look for something to track into and take out... like one of those above ground "dough boy" pools, I figure if I'd center punch that, flat and stable, it would blow the sides out... or track into some asshole's sports car that's parked across two parking spots so it doesn't get dinged... or center punch some lightly constructed building, like a hangar with a thin tin roof, go through it and make a terible mess to clean up... so folks would tell stories around the DZ forever!

Mischeivieous Mood...

Put my fist in my mouth and try to hit elbow first, so the coroner wounders why my hand is out the back of my head... or at the last second roll over on my back and open my mouth so all my teeth fly out and my buds can come by and pick them up afterwards.

Take one shoe off and put it down my pants.

It won't help, but it'll drive people crazy trying to figure out how it happened, and it'll give me something to focus on besides the ground. :P

Wendy W.

This has got to be one of the funniest posts ive seen here or the rec....no shit ..good one Mav.

I agree. I haven't seen this thread until today. made me re-evaulate my EP's:ph34r:
My photos

My Videos

If jacketsdb23 can get down to 85mph, his forward speed has got to be at least what, 50mph?

In a freefly suit I can get a tad over 1:1 glide with an average freefall speed in the low to mid 80s

But remember, if you're going 85mph down and 85mph forward, you're still hitting the ground at 120mph, just at a 45deg angle.

Time to learn how to swoop without a canopy.

On one of my jumps i reached 67mph vertical in a flat track without wingsuit or anything like that (I'm 115 lbs Angelic). Have a look at the freefall graph that I've got off my Altitrack. I'm guessing that I can do a lot better, if I held it longer reaching the new terminal. Also, it was one of my early tracking attemps (jump #39 starting with S/L), and I was in a nylon rw suit.

I think that you are compressing a two dimensional environment into a one dimensional solution. recall that at your altitude you have acquired potential energy approximating PE = mgh. For simplicity just keep it at a height above the ground. Also lets ignore the parabolic path on exit and just assume you went straight into your track -- the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy -- in order to achieve your forward speed of the track but you STILL have the (essentially leaving out drag losses...) TOTAL energy -- it is just now comprised of two vectors now -- one horizontal and one vertical. When you intersect that horizontal plane it will be at an angle off orthoganal but total vector (rectangle rule) will still have the energy which needs dissapated.

btw: when i first started i was 6' and 145lb and with the wings around during the 70s i could haul butt across the sky -- admittedly not always in the best of control -- but hey i had fun!!!

unless that life jacket had some unique qualities by which it could dissapate the energy i believe that one would experience first hand some degree of a comprehensive anatomy lesson -- depending on the life jacket design some may be contained and hidden from immediate view.

Even if the average person could locate a body of water I would think it would pretty hard for them to get into either a head down position or a standing position to enter the water. If I found myself outside a plane without a parachute I would look for other victims and attempt to dock on them just for the fun of it.

Now that was funny..hahah Yeah, might as well get a nice freefly for your last seconds on earth, or before you hit it.

Even if the average person could locate a body of water I would think it would pretty hard for them to get into either a head down position or a standing position to enter the water. If I found myself outside a plane without a parachute I would look for other victims and attempt to dock on them just for the fun of it.

Now that was funny..hahah Yeah, might as well get a nice freefly for your last seconds on earth, or before you hit it.

No...if yer good, just start stacking 'em under ya! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~