ZigZagMarquis

Many DZs Require AADs (Was: Cypress Question in Gear & Rigging Forum)

councilman24 said:
To further expand;

Under U.S. law you can legally jump without an Automatic Activation Device (AAD, cypres is one brand) but not with an expired one (one that has not been maintained according to the manufacturer's instructions). BUT, many dropzones and governments or parachute organizations in other countries have imposed their own rules. Many dropzones require an AAD.

Hmmmm....

There's that comment again.

"Many Dropzones require an AAD."

Maybe I'm making a poor assumption, but I'm assuming that is with respect to experienced jumpers and not students.

I've tried to run this down before and didn't have much luck quickly finding out the answer.

I'm sure I'll be corrected quickly, but out of all of the DZs in the USA, there's two or three (??) that require AADs for up jumpers? I'm pretty sure Sherry Butcher's (sp?) place in Ohio (??) is one of them... Skydive Chicago (or is it Skydive Chicago Land ??) is another... and then Skydive San Diego (?); the one that used to be at Brown Field is another.

Again, I have no doubt that my fellow DZ.com'ers will be quick to "correct" me, but I'm still thinking that "many" dropzones require an ADD is somewhat of an "urban legend" around the skydiving community. If one ever can come up with a real number of how many DZs in the USA really do require an AAD for experienced jumpers vs. the total number of DZs in the U.S.

Of course, this isn't all about the U.S. either. I'd like to have the numbers for overseas as well.

Cool.

Thanks.

So, that's maybe 4 Drop Zones out of the 207 DZs listed in USPAs DZ-Directory for Drop Zones in the U.S.A.

Thus far, hardly feeling like "many" to me.

If anyone else though knows of other DZs out there that require AADs for experienced jumpers, keep the info coming. Inquiring minds would like to know.
;)

The Netherlands: all DZ's require an AAD for up to C, some are prohibited UNTILL C (Argus), some DZ's (or, at least one) require AAD for all. Not sure how they'd handle a swoop comp then though...

More and more European countries/DZ's are requiring AAD's for all now.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Skydive San Diego requires AAD's under a certain jump number (500? 1000? not sure) but above that it's optional.

Adventure Center Skydiving in Hollister has a similar rule. I think it might be related to your license.

Skydive San Diego requires AAD's under a certain jump number (500? 1000? not sure) but above that it's optional.

Adventure Center Skydiving in Hollister has a similar rule. I think it might be related to your license.

I believe it's the D license/500 jump threshold at Hollister.

Perris doesn't require it, but if your's fires, they're still benching you, right?

here is the IPC AAD SURVEY REPORT for 2005 so its dated.

http://www.nzpf.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/AAD%20Report%202005.pdf

there is deatils info in tables but here is part of the summary:

There are nine countries where AAD was mandatory for ALL parachutists
(there will be ten from 1 January 2007, when mandatory use of AAD for all jumpers
will come into operation in New Zealand).
The nine countries are – Belgium, Denmark, France, Hong Kong China,
Luxembourg, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain and Turkey.
(and New Zealand after 1 January 2007)
Australia requires AAD use up to ‘C’ Licence level.(see notes page 2)
Bulgaria may allow Expert jumpers to jump without AAD.
This is determined on a case-by-case basis.
Cyprus – Even though AAD is not mandatory for non-students, almost everyone uses AAD.
Czech Republic requires AAD use for all students, from April 2004.
United Kingdom requires AAD use for all parachutists, except experts.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Skydive Chicago (or is it Skydive Chicago Land ?

I know Chicagoland Skydiving Center does not require an AAD. I don't think Skydive Chicago does, either.

Nope not requred at Skydive Chicago
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Skydive Orange in VA requires AADs for all jumpers regardless of experience or type of jump being made. Probably not much CRW going on there.

Skydive Suffolk in VA also requires AADs for ALL jumpers.

DC skydivers/ Hartwood paracenter in VA requires AADs for all jumpers but I don't think they are open anymore.

I am sure there are more out there.

Et All,

Thanks for the info.

If I've captured everything from everyone's posts correctly, thus far, we have the following DZs in the U.S. that require AADs for experienced jumpers:

1) Skydive Orange, VA
2) Skydive San Diego
3) Advernture Center Skydiving, Hollister
4) Carolina Skydiving (after 1/2008)
5) Skydive Kansas
6) Skydive Suffolk, VA
and
7) Aero Skydiving Center Inc., Ohio
or at least I've heard so, please, someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one

Okay, a few more then I thought and there are likely a few more, but 7 out of 207? ... well, just me, I still wouldn't use the word "many".

I've bee jumping without an AAD in my rig for 3 years now and I've never ben to a DZ that had an issue with it. I've made a road trip or two in that time so I've seen quite a few DZ's with my rig.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

here is the IPC AAD SURVEY REPORT for 2005 so its dated.

http://www.nzpf.org/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/AAD%20Report%202005.pdf

[snip]

United Kingdom requires AAD use for all parachutists, except experts.

It depends what you call expert, but then, as it is now, A licence and below require an AAD.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Skydive Orange in VA requires AADs for all jumpers regardless of experience or type of jump being made. Probably not much CRW going on there.

There isn't much crw that goes on there, and I think exceptions are made on a case by case basis( very high performace canopy flight, etc)

While I don't agree with this policy, it is my hometown, and my home DZ, and I like jumping there. All my rigs have always come with a an AAD on purchase, so it hasn't been an issue, but if it doesn't have one, whatever, jump it anyway.

But that's a discussion for another thread.:P