droquette

What makes an experienced skydiver?

I heard Scott Miller once say that experience is not jump numbers, or freefall time, or years in the sport, but how much stuff have you lived through when shit went wrong. While I certainly do agree that there are things you can't learn without a lot of jumps, and there are things you can't learn without a lot of time in the sport, I also think what scott said is true too. You may have x number of thousands of jumps but if nothing has ever gone wrong then I don't consider that experienced, or at least AS experienced as someone with x number of jumps who has lived through problems. How one handles off-dz landings, malfunctions, aircraft emergencies, etc. makes them experienced.

Here is another definition of “experienced”...

“Having the wisdom not to get yourself in a bad situation to begin with”

It’s great to be able to get yourself out of s s**t hole but it’s better not to get into one in the first place. Most bad stuff can be avoided by good decisions and behaviors in advance.

Off-dz landings – check the spot, understand the uppers and the expected drift, have the balls to call for a go around if needed.

Malfunctions – jump quality gear with a low expectancy of mals, which is well packed and checked multiple times.

Aircraft emergencies – don’t jump at a DZ that doesn’t have superior maintenance.

Getting cut off low – keep your head on a swivel. Those aren’t stealth canopies out there you can see them from a way away.

All that said not 100% of s**t is avoidable...B|
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

The "very experienced" take great pleasure out of leaving their profiles blank. This is not to say that everyone with no profile is "experienced" - as an example take a look at my profile.

But the screen name Velo90 doesn't show or flaunt experience? Interesting it doesn't say Spectre 190 or something. I'm not saying that you are wrong for making that your screen name. I think filling out one's profile is sometimes useful info for others. There are people on this site who have 100 jumps and their posts sound very intelligent and well written, but could be complete BS. Profiles help newbs weed out the BS...which definetly needs to be done on this site sometimes.

Cheers,
Travis

Some skydivers remind me of public employee union members...their time in the sport is like tenure or something.

First you show disrespect for "experienced" jumpers who land like shit. (in your opinion)
Now you show complete disrespect for public employee union members most of which work long hours for low pay keeping your ass out of trouble. Hopefully for you, experience will bring a little tolerance of others.

I think if there are any other groups you want to rag on you start a separate thread.
jmo

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

There is no magic number. Experience is knowing how to accurately weigh the risk of what you are doing against the reward that doing it will provide to you, coupled with the ability to walk away from something that you deem too risky.

Is a person with 30 jumps experienced if they decide not to go up when the wind speed is being very variable, or if they turn down the offer to go on the 3 way with 2 guys who have 100 jumps each?

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Is a person with 30 jumps experienced if they decide not to go up when the wind speed is being very variable, or if they turn down the offer to go on the 3 way with 2 guys who have 100 jumps each?

That would not make them "experienced" that would make them smart and safe. Being smart and safe will get you experience.

Experience can not be learned, it must be earned.

The only way to get experience is by doing, not reading. Not just by listening to others. Those will make you smarter and give a larger knowledge base. But it does not matter if you can give me the physics reasons behind a hook turn...If you don't DO them, you don't have experience with them, just knowledge.

The funny thing about experience is most people want to believe they have enough.

It is such a subjective topic "What makes an experienced skydiver?"

To the news: Being off of student status.
To the DZ: Having a license.
To the organizer: A certain jump number (I was once bounced from a 8way since I didn't have 700 jumps yet, what he didn't know was my 620th jump was a 110way.)
To the whuffo: One tandem
To the guy with the "A" license: The guy with the "B" is experienced.

Very subjective. The real answer? You know it when you see it. And if you are trying to prove you are...Then you are not.

Someone once said that until you are in the sport 10 years...You are just a visitor. Of course any one with less time than that thinks that person is an idiot and "does not know my skydiving".

1,000 jumps was the old standard I grew up with. I was told that when you reach 1,000 jumps you have experienced enough to have an opinion....I didn't personally have a problem with that, but others seem to.

There are always people who don't fit into any "definition". But the one example does not mean that the "rule" is wrong all the time.

Someone with 10 years and 1,000 jumps may not be as good as a jumper as someone with 3 years and 1,000 jumps. But I bet the guy with 10 years knows more.

A rigger with 300 jumps is more experienced than a guy with 1,000 when it comes to gear.

An AFF Instructor with 600 jumps is more experienced dealing with students than a 4way guy that has 2500 jumps.

Like I said before...You know experience when you see it. And you can't decide when you have it. The people around you do.

So the whole exercise is pointless.

My opinion? If you must have "numbers" for a general rule about general skydiving experience : 1,000 jumps or 5 years. Either shows a serious commitment to the sport.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Some skydivers remind me of public employee union members...their time in the sport is like tenure or something.

Now you show complete disrespect for public employee union members

I think he has a point. "Some" skydivers do treat time in sport like tenure. It's really just a self validation activity for self proclaimed old timers. It takes more than number of jumps and number of years to earn respect.

But it doesn't hurt either ;)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Now you show complete disrespect for public employee union members

I think he has a point. "Some" skydivers do treat time in sport like tenure. It's really just a self validation activity for self proclaimed old timers. It takes more than number of jumps and number of years to earn respect.

But it doesn't hurt either ;)

And I think you have a valid point. But you did not make by being disrespectful to another group of people.

And the subject is experience, not respect. You can respect a jumper regardless of their experience level.

Sparky

ou can respect a jumper regardless of their experience level.

no deal ;) no one with less than 32,000 jumps gets any respect

not until they get some 'experience'

I jump with those people that also treat me nice. Funny how a weekend can turn a bunch of adults into blathering adoescents. But that's a good thing sometimes. I admit, I'd rather turn a gazillion points with my teammates, but I still have a great time on other dives - but I am a bit serious, so I can't say the reverse is true. Usually experience has little to do with it and personal compatibility and vibes has all to do with it.

If someone wants to say they are "experienced", I don't care if that helps them get through their day. I'll take them or ignore them on their personal merits on an individual basis.

Example - Someone asks me who's a good 'experienced' skydiver, I ask them what are they working on. Then I'll say go see "that guy", he's good at {what you are asking about". That's done without even answering their spoken question and gets down to what are they trying to accomplish and who specifically is a decent fellow that can really help them. If I think I can help them directly, I will also, (because I'm an arrogant know it all and I like to be listened to).

I don't think that's all that different from what anyone else does unless they are trying to prove something petty.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Just another pile of testosterone wanting to run with the big dogs. Give him 15 years and a couple thousand landings on a pocket rocket and he won’t give a shit who stands it up and who doesn’t. If he makes it that long.

most of which work long hours for low pay keeping your ass out of trouble

Nice ones Mike, keep them coming. So far every post you've made to this thread has been to try and belittle me...not one relating to the thread itself.

Since you obviously have tenure and consider yourself experienced, please be the nice knowing mentor to myself and whoever else is reading this and enlighten us as to your views on:

A. Time in sport -what it means, signifigance, variations among different individuals, currency during time in sport, variations between seasonal jumpers and year round jumpers etc.

B. Experienced - what your definition of an experienced skydiver is.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Since you obviously have tenure and consider yourself experienced, please be the nice knowing mentor to myself and whoever else is reading this and enlighten us as to your views on:

For the record, I also consider him to be experienced.....Old and feable, but experienced:P

A. Time in sport -what it means, signifigance, variations among different individuals, currency during time in sport, variations between seasonal jumpers and year round jumpers etc.

A jumper that has been around 10 years (around, not one jump a year) knows more than a guy that has been around a year. There can be exceptions, a decade guy that jumps once a mth, vs a new guy that did 500 in his first year and lives on a DZ, but even then I know hot shots that are great jumpers that don't know what a Nova is.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Nice ones Mike, keep them coming. So far every post you've made to this thread has been to try and belittle me....

Thats all perceptual. Mike hasnt tried to belittle you at all.....hes not that kind of guy.
If you had any sense you would look him up at Perris this coming weekend and introduce yourself.
Mike is "experienced" and knows his shit.
You might actually learn something about humility.

Yer almost as good as I am.....huh Mike? :o)

bozimbo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Ron, you it a home run with this posting – well said…

Few years ago I remember reading in Parachutist something about experience, it went something like:
“Gusty windy days are when the experienced skydivers sit out by the landing area and watch the inexperienced skydivers gain experience”.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I'm a newbie and I always will be. Perhaps I would feel differently if I jumped at a small DZ with very few people with over a thousand jumps, but Z-hills sees many people with 5,000+ and 10,000+ jumps, and Skydive Dallas has a lot of old-timers too.

It's all relative, kind of like with age. When you are 10, you think 20-year olds are ANCIENT! I remember thinking my brother was OLD when he was in college and I was still in the 7th grade. I thought he was a grown-up. Ha!

I thought I'd feel "experienced" when I hit 1,000 jumps, but that is fast approaching. I will hit it later this year, and I feel FAR from experienced. It's okay though, it keeps me from getting in over my head or becoming complacent.

It's an interesting topic...very subjective. I cringe a little when the press calls someone with 30 jumps "experienced," but I can understand why they would say that. When I had 0 jumps and knew nobody in the sport, I thought 30 jumps was a lot as well. I had no idea people jumped hundreds or thousands of times. :D

Psst, don't encourage him... it will just make him post more...

But its the kinder gentler Ron...with Smileys....Didn't you notice the Damn smileys??????>:(

Hydro,

Rather than arguing here on-line, why don't you jump with the guy? I've jumped with guys that are SOS and JOS members and had a great time with them. A lot of them are very competent skydivers, and a lot of fun to be around.

You are in SoCal and can probably find Sparky at one of the two DZs. Don't be intimidated by his gray hair and beard. He's really a cool guy and good skydiver. Now, the Harley, that's something to be afraid of. :ph34r:

As for my experience, most of my jumps are AFF, close to 1,000 along with 600 tandems. I do not get to do many fun jumps, but supplement that with tunnel time during the evenings as it permits. I don't really consider myself experienced, but I have done somethings more than most. I also learn from others, some with less jumps than I have. I respect and admire a lot of people in skydiving, and many of those have not been in the sport that long, nor have they compiled that many jumps. eg. a 20 jump dude teaching me freefly techniques in the tunnel.B|

Be humble and keep learning.

Shark out.

Anyone else see the humor here?

I think we should ground all those old bastards and make more room for us young guys.....

Skydivesg
Jumps : 5600
License : D 10938
In sport : 32 years

Nice ones Mike, keep them coming. So far every post you've made to this thread has been to try and belittle me...not one relating to the thread itself.

It doesn't feel good when someone belittles you on the net does it? Remember that the next time you feel the urge to do it to someone else. :)

I am not sure what you mean by having “tenure” since your involvement in this sport can end with your next jump. :o:P And yes I do consider myself experienced in some aspects of the sport. But there are many more aspects that I am not very experienced in. I think your interests determine what area you will become experienced in.

Time in the sport can mean a great deal or it can mean shit. It is all about the individual. A jumper can have 15 years in the sport and has spent the time listening and learning something from everyone he meets up with. Or a jumper can have 1 year in the sport repeated 15 times and not know his ass from a hot rock.

With 15 years in the sport a jumper can acquire a great deal of knowledge about skydiving but if he doesn’t jump very often the knowledge is just academic. I know a lot of jumpers that have only half as much time in the sport as I do but 2 or 3 times the jumps. They are much better at flying then I ever will be. On the other hand in 15 years a jumper can acquire a great deal of knowledge about gear and hardly jump at all. This knowledge I would say translates to experience. I think the secret to becoming an experienced jumper is to become a well-rounded jumper. Its not about numbers, its about always being willing to learn. The ground doesn’t care how long you have been around or how many jumps you have, it will kill you if given a chance. The more you learn the less chance the ground has.

There are three things every jump consists of...packing, pulling, landing.

There are 2 things that you must do on each skydive in order to survive. One is to deploy a landable canopy and two is the land that canopy safely. It does not matter how many points you turned or how long your swoop was. If you do not perform these 2 tasks it is safe to say you will not survive.
If you can walk away from the landing, I would say you landed safely.B|

Now that is something experence has taught me.

Sparky

There are three things every jump consists of...packing, pulling, landing.

There are 2 things that you must do on each skydive in order to survive. One is to deploy a landable canopy and two is the land that canopy safely.

There is only one thing you must do on each skydive in order to survive - "land the canopy safely".

Anyone else see the humor here?

I think we should ground all those old bastards and make more room for us young guys.....

Skydivesg
Jumps : 5600
License : D 10938
In sport : 32 years

I'm being mocked for being POPS eligible end of this year. [:/]. Sandy's young at heart though (that's what us young pups say when we don't want the geezers to feel too bad.)

I see the humor - and I weep and wail with happiness whenever it hits.

:P

...Someone asks me who's a good 'experienced' skydiver, I ask them what are they working on. Then I'll say go see "that guy", he's good at {what you are asking about". That's done without even answering their spoken question and gets down to what are they trying to accomplish and who specifically is a decent fellow that can really help them. If I think I can help them directly, I will also...

Now THIS is the kind of experience I would want at my DZ...fortunately, we have more than one with this kind of attitude...Thanks, Bill.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239