droquette

What makes an experienced skydiver?

I see Clint Clawson giving advice to newer jumpers and fun jumpers all the time. He is the most approachable guy around.

I don't see him doing it as much to "experienced" jumpers. Maybe he is afraid of getting a response along the lines of
(quote)

Clint was born into the sport and has been around it his whole life and would have a lot to offer anyone in need of learning.
I don't think he would be to worried to say anything to anyone, but has the experience to know when to not waste his time.
(Edit to attachment)
This attachment shows young Clawson giving a team member of mirror image the finer points of landing techniques at about age 4 or 5.;)
So if Clint walks up and say's something, it would be a good idea to listen to what he has to say, same would go for sparky.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

That would undoubtedly include me.

I get up from all of them, too. The outward grace of my landing is not real high on my list of priorities.

I land like "crap" on a regular basis and sometimes it bugs me when I fall forward on one knee, or I do what I call the "butt to feet" landing...not really a slide, but a touch of the booty and then on to my feet in one swift motion. I'm a retard, but whatever. I'm not endangering anyone else and I'm not landing hard. It's always a nice, soft plop. ;)

And maybe it isn't politcally correct to say this, but it does seem like way more women than men have landing problems. I see women rolling, pounding in, sliding in etc, a lot more often than men. Timidity? Lack of training? I don't know. I know many women with 1,000+ jumps who don't land on their feet, but I can only think of a few experienced guys who can't stand-up regular straight-in approaches. (and they outnumber us by far)

I see women rolling, pounding in, sliding in etc, a lot more often than men.

One reason that I stated earlier is weight belts. You and I both know women who are under 5'2", weigh less than 110lbs, and are wearing 15+ lbs of lead. They aren't sprinting anywhere with it.

A soft landing still means that they are going to suddenly assume the task of holding their gear and lead, even without running it out.

I don't see him doing it as much to "experienced" jumpers. Maybe he is afraid of getting a response along the lines of:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you ever been on a record attempt? Have you ever been in the air with 150+ canopies? The stress level for each jumper on a record attempt is pretty high, especially if it's the first time you've been on one. Add in 150+ other canopies in the air with you and that stress level goes up. Then add in the fact that the air in Perris can be less than ideal for canopy flight when it's hot, especially if you aren't used to it, and the fact that many of those women came from sea level dropzones and you might begin to understand why some people's landings were less than perfect. There was a lot more going on there than on your average freefly jump out of one Otter.

And the reply you quote was not directed at someone with thousands of jumps and one of the top canopy pilots in the sport. It was directed at some with less than 500 jumps and very little time in the sport. See the difference?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

She's right, though. Frankly, the injury rate at JFTC was higher than it should have been; considerably higher than at the Texas State Record (only slight smaller) in 2004.

I fell down a lot. Of course, I'm used to jumping in thick humid sea-level air, so I definitely wimped out on looking cool.

I took a canopy class last year; it was good. I've also gotten some pointers from folks, and generally don't have a problem. But, well, last load of the day when it's no-wind, I'm tired and my how-close-and-fast-am-I judgment goes out the door, so I generally fall down. BFD.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I took a canopy class last year; it was good. I've also gotten some pointers from folks, and generally don't have a problem. But, well, last load of the day when it's no-wind, I'm tired and my how-close-and-fast-am-I judgment goes out the door, so I generally fall down. BFD.

Wendy W.

Wendy.....why are we trying to reason with this guy about why we dont always land on our feet?
He doesnt care, he just wants to argue. He wont be around long anyway.
You can teach the inquisitive....you cant those that know it all.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

Wendy.....why are we trying to reason with this guy about why we dont always land on our feet?
He doesnt care, he just wants to argue. He wont be around long anyway.
You can teach the inquisitive....you cant those that know it all.

I only come to this board to learn, hence the reason you don't see me posting in the bonfire. I certainly don't come here for your diatribes.

You really know nothing about me...my age, life experiences, education, motivations etc.

All you know is I made a post about poor landings (actually I used the word crap) - based towards no particular individual - and it ruffled your, and your buddies, sensitive feathers.

Because of that post, I've heard:
Sparky - hes a ball of testosterone wanting to run with the big dogs.
Stratostar - thinks I don't respect my elders
Skybytch - thinks I have something against women
Bozo - keeps saying I won't be around, I know it all, and I'm not inquisitive.

The common denominator of all of the above is none of you even know who you are talking about...just spouting off shit online because my statement irked you...or hit to close to home about you or one of your buddies.

If I was a know it all, I wouldn't get coaching. If I was a know it all, I wouldn't read every single post in the gear and rigging section. If I was a know it all, I wouldn't read every single post in the incidents section, and actually try to find a lesson out of it...and try my best to keep myself off of it.

If I wan't inquisitive, I would never have opened the thread "what makes an experienced skydiver"

If I wasn't inquisitive, I would never have pondered why so many experienced skydivers land poorly.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

If I wasn't inquisitive, I would never have pondered why so many experienced skydivers land poorly.

You seem to have replaced "pontificated" with "pondered".

As it is. i'm done here. I dont want to be accused of my cronyism holding back USPAs membership.

bozo

bozo

Maybe because I cracked my coccyx under a 1.0 loaded Spectre190 on a buttslide landing I feel they aren't that safe...am I wrong thinking this way?

I mean, this whole time I've felt I was lucky not to have been more severely injured or have more lasting consequences from that landing, and have striven to become proficient as a canopy pilot...am I just making to big a deal about nothing?

You seem to have replaced "pontificated" with "pondered"

Pontificated implies arrogance. Arrogance implies a feeling of superiority.

I've never stated, nor implied, I am better or superior at anything skydiving related to anybody...not even once.

You've drawn back from the initial impression made, you've done your part to some extent.

If the others won't let it go at this point, don't worry. It's now their problem. Most have from what I can tell and a good dialogue came out of the thread.

It happens. A little self deprecating humor goes a long way. Try that next time.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Sparky - hes a ball of testosterone wanting to run with the big dogs.

That is the FUNNIEST thing I have heard in quite some time. You clearly don't know him. He is old as hell (put Jesus out on a SL I think), but in no way "a ball of testosterone".

Stratostar - thinks I don't respect my elders

I kinda got the same message. Maybe its not what you *intended* but it was what was received. Now that could be how it was sent, or the problem of who got it. But if more than one person received it in the same manner...Could it be it was sent poorly?

Skybytch - thinks I have something against women

Not what I got from her postings...Just a lady that cares about saftey.

Bozo - keeps saying I won't be around, I know it all, and I'm not inquisitive.

He does say that. But, out of all the people I know that have quit, none thought they would two years out. So, it is possible you will not be.

I think you are inquisitive. But I think your way of expressing it might need work (Hey folks, yep that was *me* that said that...Who'da thunk it?"

Maybe because I cracked my coccyx under a 1.0 loaded Spectre190 on a buttslide landing I feel they aren't that safe...am I wrong thinking this way?

Just because YOU got hurt does not make it unsafe. I know a few jumpers that land that way almost all the time and never got hurt doing it. A good number of my Tandem landings I butt slide and never hurt myself or the student *yet* (notice I don't even claim it will never happen? I can't make such a claim since I might just screw up, or some bad juju might just happen.

I mean, this whole time I've felt I was lucky not to have been more severely injured or have more lasting consequences from that landing, and have striven to become proficient as a canopy pilot...am I just making to big a deal about nothing?

Nope, wanting to improve is the first step. And not being able to stand up is a pretty good sign that canopy control could use work. But that does not make it *dangerous*. And by insulting those that do seems to be bad form.

I mean you said about you "You really know nothing about me...my age, life experiences, education, motivations etc.

All you know is I made a post about poor landings (actually I used the word crap) - based towards no particular individual - and it ruffled your, and your buddies, sensitive feathers. "

But you know nothing about why THEY land like "crap" but you pass judgement...The same thing you are upset about everyone else doing.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Sparky - hes a ball of testosterone wanting to run with the big dogs

That is the FUNNIEST thing I have heard in quite some time. You clearly don't know him. He is old as hell (put Jesus out on a SL I think), but in no way "a ball of testosterone".

That's what he said about me, not me about him...but it doesn't matter.

I've hashed this out over PM's with some involved..some positively, and some only time will tell.

Sparky - hes a ball of testosterone wanting to run with the big dogs

That's what he said about me, not me about him...but it doesn't matter.

Ah, my bad. Sorry...I saw a chance to call Sparky old and I had to take it. See Sparky and I had some heated exchanges years ago....Kind like you just did. Now I kinda like the guy and we insult each other for fun...I mean he might have undies as old as me...I am not that old, and he is no way near young. :P

I've hashed this out over PM's with some involved..some positively, and some only time will tell.

And either way, the earth will still spin and people will still have opinions.....

BTW the internet really sucks as a communication tool for a good deal of things.

My sarcasim is MUCH funnier in person. B|
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

This gets added to my file of links. Two years from now, I am going to repost them all and watch people squirm

Sure you will...When you get ready, some shiny thing will flash in the sunlight and you will forget everything but, "Must get the shiny thing!"B|

This gets added to my file of links. Two years from now, I am going to repost them all and watch people squirm

Sure you will...When you get ready, some shiny thing will flash in the sunlight and you will forget everything but, "Must get the shiny thing!"B|

I'll have you know that I have an excellent memory. It's short, but it's a good one. Plus, there's where I put my keys. :)

See Sparky and I had some heated exchanges years ago....Kind like you just did.

But we had a lot of people paying attention, thinking and maybe learning something. My first jump instructor's opening words were, "This is a thinking mans sport, you quite thinking and you WILL die." He then asked if anyone wanted a refund.B|

And you little maggot, you just hope and pray you can last as long as me. HaHaaaaa, not a chance.:)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

And you little maggot, you just hope and pray you can last as long as me. HaHaaaaa, not a chance.

You had to go to "Maggot"? Where is the age reference in that? Sheesh...I'm starting to think you are getting old....Oh wait, never mind. Good one Gramps:P

And you little maggot, you just hope and pray you can last as long as me. HaHaaaaa, not a chance.

You had to go to "Maggot"? Where is the age reference in that? Sheesh...I'm starting to think you are getting old....Oh wait, never mind. Good one Gramps:P

This could be construed as a personal attack...unless of course, Ron, you are a "little maggot"
I will have to reserve judgement as I do not personally know you.
I do know Sparky....and he is very very old.

bozo

bozo

My sarcasm is MUCH funnier in person. B|

You keep thinking that, captain underpants. (And to a 17 year old, you are old)

Say, I understand sparky is old. Who'd a thunk it?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

And either way, the earth will still spin and people will still have opinions.....

BTW the internet really sucks as a communication tool for a good deal of things.

My sarcasim is MUCH funnier in person. B|

I wouldn't say MUCH funnier:D
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!