eddytheeagle

Would you jump (and land!) a round?

Some time ago, I jumped a 'Para-Commander' (see attachments for pics). I wanted to do this for quite a while, but most people said I was crazy and risking my legs. Fewer said they might try after I did it. Luckily, I got the chance to jump a PC (they seem to become rare). Of course, jumping older gear needs some extra attention; we hooked it up to a student rig, so the emergency procedures would be the same. The jump was gorgeous with a smooth, soft opening. The decent really nice and silent, and landing on the DZ no problem at all in the light winds. Even the landing was good, a bit harder than normal, but a good PLF does the trick :)

For those who started jumping `in the old days', jumping a round (or other older gear) might not seem to be a big deal, but I found that many of the newer jumpers think it's crazy. I'd say, jumping older gear (with the necessary precautions) can be great fun!
Don't underestimate your ability to screw up!

pcsabre.jpg

pcland.jpg

I've got around 30 PC jumps and 8 T-10 jumps. I'd love to do it again, for old time's sake.

It's ridiculous that people become scared of old techniques and gear that are no more dangerous (or even less so) than we have now. Rounds are fine. Jeez! They just take more care in spotting.

The likelihood of the jump ending in a PLF is much higher, but modern jumpers are woefully inadequate in their PLF skills and could use the training!

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Maybe not an unmodified round, but I'd jump at the chance (har har) to try a PC. What I really want to jump, though, is a Paradactyl. For some reason I've been enamored with those things ever since I first saw a picture of one.

Boy that looks great. A friend of mine has a Starlite in a Starlite container; I want to jump it sometime soon.

One thing about rounds is that with less forward speed, they're much quieter. Much. It's nice.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Not out of choice, its how I started, and I've had a couple of round reserve rides.

One good thing, you do develop an efficient PLF .;)

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Back in the 1970s and early 1980s I did about 70 jumps on round canopies. Most of those jumps were on military surplus canopies, but I did manage one-and-a-half jumps on a Cross-Bow. The half jump concluded with landing a non-steerable 24 flat round reserve.

Sold my last round reserve in 1985.

Did my last intentional round jump in 1986. I don't think the German Army was too happy that I suffered a partial inversion and burned dozens of holes in their T-10. Hee! Hee!

My last round reserve landing was also in 1986. I completely missed the country and landed in a French swamp. Hee! Hee!

Repacking round reserves represents 1% of my rigging business these days. Frankly, I repack more round canopies for pilots than I do for skydivers.
My boss finally banned round reserves from Pitt Meadows last year. Exceptions will only be made for visiting jumpers who attend boogies at Pitt Meadows.

I had a round reserve ride (borrowed gear) in Eloy a couple years ago. It drew quite a crowd, seeing ancient technology on such a progressive drop zone! Despite the fact that I landed 20 feet from the peas and got an applause from the on-lookers, I have no interest in ever jumping a round again. They are simply a bitch to fly and land.

:)I'd LAND it B|;)...Right in the Pea Gravel,, I hope..
I made over 1100 ROUND jumps.in the '70s and early '80's...but only a handful on the Para Commander... I much preferred the French made Papillon.... I owned 2 of them and they treated me very well... nice accuracy canopies,,, in their time....:)p.s nice photos,,, was that the "Church Window " P.C.? or the "Merry Widow"????,,

I've done it before, and I'd do it again just for old time's sake.

It really wasn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be, though it WILL show you how well you learned your PLF.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

and once I did, you bet your ass
I'd LAND it ...Right in the Pea Gravel,, I hope

Only if you spot it, with a pilot who's used to actually taking corrections!

I'm landing the first rig I owned in the attachment. A beautiful white rainbow Starlite. I put about 400 jumps on it.

And for those who doubt accuracy, I had 2 stadium and several other demos on it.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

starlite.jpg

Some time ago, I jumped a 'Para-Commander'

Anybody who wants to jump a PC is welcome to jump one of mine. I have a couple of PC-class canopies in Wonderhogs, with BOC throwouts and LoPo reserves.

I have them on hand at Load Organizer Tent 3 (or whichever one they assign us) at the Convention.

Blue skies,

Winsor

" Only if you spot it, with a pilot who's used to actually taking corrections!.."
:)As for the pilot...we always had the best.;).. BUT " any pilot who is Flyin' Me.... TODAY... is the BEST pilot in the world" !!!!:|:)
"I'm landing the first rig I owned in the attachment. A beautiful white rainbow Starlite. I put about 400 jumps on it "

:oB| Yes the Starlight was a beautiful
"high performance round":ph34r::)dropzone,, jumped them and had good landings...The bigger guys stayed with the PC's or
began to transition to the Ram Air canopies...
I could not post a photo of my papillon, because there was no color film yet available,,;);) !!!!:o:)P.S. wmw999..:|B| I admire the confidence that it took to fly that canopy anywhere within VIEW,,, of those "big time" high tension wires....StarLight Canopy Pilots,, Rock!!!

[
Anybody who wants to jump a PC is welcome to jump one of mine. I have a couple of PC-class canopies in Wonderhogs, with BOC throwouts and LoPo reserves.

I have them on hand at Load Organizer Tent 3 (or whichever one they assign us) at the Convention.

Blue skies,

Winsor

LoPo reserves so they're not tempted to cutaway the round to land a square?;) I have a Crossbow reserve, essentially a lopo, on three ring risers in a bag that I let people put in their rig to jump. Gives them a new appreciation for "real" spotting. I have video from my helmet of my last round ride, a Phantom 24 reserve in 1986. Aaaaah, memories of carrying a full size VHS VCR on my chest. My busted up leg, NOT from the round, and my excess mass, have kept me from jumping one since. But I want to if I ever get skinny enough again.:S Still have my PC waiting.B|
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

i only have one VERY SCARY round reserve ride (it knocked me unconcious at landing for some time :S)

but 2 weeks ago i packed some 20 round reserves for pilots, and got this incredible urge to jump one!!! (i guess i suffered some brain damage at the fore-mentioned landing ;):S:P)

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

Did my student staticline jumps on a military 28ft with double L mod for steering with about 60 jumps on a PC and Thunder Bow. This was back in 1972. I have a PC i'm trying to get put together and jump. Here's a couple of PC pics of me. The two b/w's were taken in '72, the color was taken in '99.

PC'72.jpg

Feb18#01.JPG

Thunderbow.jpg

I am only a young guy, 23 and have about 200 jumps. I have 2 jumps on a '75 mk.1 PC and I really dig them. Weather permitting I would gladly jump it again. My crabbing skills are not great, but 'steering' was such a different feeling. I think the jumps were very neat just for nostalgia, getting to take part in what led to the sport I enjoy.
--
All the flaming and trolls of wreck dot with a pretty GUI.