eddytheeagle

Would you jump (and land!) a round?

I've always wondered what it would be like to jump a round chute. I made my first jump in 1984 at the tampa bay parachute ranch. (anybody know what became of that dropzone, it's not there anymore.) They had just switched to ram airs from rounds before I jumped there, I was 17. As slink wrote, My dad was a paratrooper with the 504th PIR, 82nd Airborne Div. 1961-63. Looking at the old pictures in the album is what got me to want to try it. So many chutes in the air! looked like someone just blotted ink all over a picture of the sky. My dad made a tandem back in 1998, 35 years since his Airborne jump days. He enjoyed it but did not want to pursue the sport. He took up skiing instead. Just broke his shoulder last saturday! Should have went with sky diving! But I would love to jump a round if only once to see what it would be like. My dad says the ram airs are whimp canopies! I said, well I've never jumped a round, but try and not flare a ram air, Then make an assessment! He just loves to be a ball buster!

> I suffered a partial inversion and burned dozens of holes in their T-10. Hee! Hee!

Did you land that mal or cut it? If you landed it, can
you see yorurself landing a minor malfunction under
a square? ie: line over, steering line entanglement,
etc.

Frankly, I repack more round canopies for pilots than I do for skydivers.

They must be safe or you would not pack them for
the pilots.

>My boss finally banned round reserves from Pitt Meadows last year. Exceptions will only be made for visiting jumpers who attend boogies at Pitt Meadows.

Ok I can see not wanting to pack them anymore, and I can see not using them for students.
But why would the dzo ban round reserves.
I can only hope it is due to a dz hazzard "big river or
something". If so why let visiting jumpers use round
reserves?
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

I'm not sure I'd enjoy a round jump now,
you have to think ahead too hard about
where you're going to land.

I had 1,800 round jumps before I got my
first square in 1975.

Rounds work just fine, a lot of the stories
you hear have been greatly exaggerated
for the jump story effect.

Skr

I'm not sure I'd enjoy a round jump now,
you have to think ahead too hard about
where you're going to land.

Well, its very good for spotting skills :)

I had 1,800 round jumps before I got my
first square in 1975.

So spotting shouldn't be a big problem for you, or did you forget how to do it? ;)

Rounds work just fine, a lot of the stories
you hear have been greatly exaggerated
for the jump story effect.

Yep, that might be one of the reasons that people don't want to jump old gear, even when it's in good condition. BTW, in 20 years or so, the newbie's probably don't want to jump the conopies we're using today!
Don't underestimate your ability to screw up!

BTW, in 20 years or so, the newbie's probably don't want to jump the conopies we're using today!

--not long from now....

" OH MY GOD!!... You Jumped a SABRE?? That's nuts"
-
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

yahoo muff muff muff i made 12 jumps under student rounds and 12 more with pc.s then went to a round and that was at tampabay parachute ranch in riverview they later moved to topp of tampa airport and when that airport closed down he moved to mulberry fl at the south lakeland airpark so cliff is still around you can contact them at skydive tampa bay south lakeland airpark7500 coronet rd mulberry fl 33860 phone 888-439-jumpor 813-948-2456=fax hope this helps have fun & love each other seeya mb65 johnny gates
till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates

No, I would not jump with a round.
Because I am STILL waiting for the good weather to jump my first ram-air after 49 round jumps.

OKAY

Para-Commander, UT-15, SW-5 I would not jump vertical speed is to much.

RS 4/4A, D-1-5U, ZT-2 I would jump anyitme.

In our club the begginers -untill 40-50 jumps like me- jump with ZT-2. That is a Hungarian brand new round, in a backpack conatainer (c/w 3 ring system, RSL, Cypres, round reserve). We bought these chutes last June, because the round static-line jumps are safer (especially with Cypres "on board") for beginners, and require less skills (watching the scary exits of ram-air S/L first jumpers). Also in the conatiner you can fit a bigger ram-air.

see pics

Blue chute a nice girl from the club

Red chute me on an accuracy competiton

(I had three jumps, can't remember exact distances:
1st around 20meter, 2nd around 9meter, 3rd around 14meter if I remember well)

OVER

ZT2.jpg

me-beforelanding.jpg

I did one in Russia, a static-line jump with vintage military gear. The canopy was a non-steerable, canvas round that weighed around 80 lbs. The whole rig (w/ nylon triangle reserve) outweighed me, topping out at about 142 lbs. (I was 140). The landing wasn't as bad as I expected, especially for an exit from only 100 meters. Id still like to try something more modern and from a higher altitude but I wouldn't wanna' get in the habit, I'm not as rubbery as I used to be.