ChasingBlueSky

What can we do about Skyride?

USPA could do a few things web search related for $0 to increase the first time skydiver traffic. USPA comes up well in skydiving related searches, but the “title” is just “USPA.org” does that mean anything to those with no base of knowledge in the sport? By simply inserting some pertinent information in their web site titles, descriptions, etc., not only would it push USPA to the top of most “skydiving” searches, but would give the uniformed a better idea of what/who USPA is. I’m no search engine genius by any means, but form what I’ve learned over the last month or so, USPAs site could be at the top of every ranking criteria used by the various search engines without spending a cent on advertising, just a little very simple html code. Any kid with a high school diploma these days could make these changes.

Dave
This seems like a horrible idea. Am I now paying for the USPA to launch an ad campaign against one of its own group members? Will the USPA put up websites that say skyride is bad, but at the bottom of skyride websites is the USPA GM logo?

Allow me a moment to bash my head into something firm............

Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Sure, If USPA were to advertise it would benifit all group members.

Also FYI this was taken form USPAs site. I'll be interested to see what action if any comes out of the next BOD meeting.

Taken form the “USPA MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING, July 16-18, 2004 Alexandria, Virginia

Executive Committee

There has been much discussion about the business practices of Skyride; the best suggestion of the course of action the Executive Committee decided was to have Headquarters consult with our counsel regarding the “1-800-Skyride” business model & practices and our potions as a Membership organization. As an organization, Skyride exists because some drop zones that are complaining of their actions and practices are the same drop zones that allow Skyride to exist; as an organization, USPA cannot and will not regulate DZs business practices.

Group Member Committee
Old Business

As directed by the board, USPA wrote a letter to Cary Quattocchi regarding concern with certain business practices. There was no response and the practices continue unchanged. After much discussion, the committee urged the staff to research the methods and cost of enhancing USPA’s visibility to the public on various internet search engines. Such efforts should also assist sport promoting efforts. The committee also urged that USPA advise Group Member DZs of its concern with these practices.

Skyride is not a USPA Group member.If the USPA logo is on any Skyride site or any of the fake DZ sites then USPA should know about that.I'm sure that the real Dz's that are owned by Cary will be included in any advertising the USPA does.

Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

I am looking into these. But I will not penalize a whuffo for spending their money only to find out there are no refunds and are now unable to use them. If it turns out to be something else... I'll take care of it. :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well if they're simply a genuine whuffo helping them sell is a good thing.

1) you help out a simple joe shmo who would otherwise have a bad experiance of losing a lot of money trying to do a jump.
2) if the certificates go unredeemed skyride get $400 for a total outlay of about 25 cents (nice profit margin hey?).
3) if the certificates are redeemed skyride actually has to pay a DZ for the jumps.
4) the DZ might get direct return custom.
5) buying them 2nd hand from a wuffo puts no money in skyride's pocket but does take money out.

the only negative I can see is that you further the cycle of accepting skyride certs at the DZ where it's redeemed.

edited to add: a DZ could buy them and simply redeem them with skyride without actually putting anyone on the plane. Depending on what skyride pay back the DZ could make money on the $300 purchase price without actually having to do any work whatsoever.

I don't know if this has been posted before in the hundreds of threads, but now Skyride is selling on ....

no need to post links to their advertisements. My edit. Chuck

Question: your Georgia injunction and damages award are worth what in terms of their utility?

Screw pursuing any civil injunction and damages award, at least for purposes and as it would relate to any (apparently) published state Annotated Code. Wouldn't this rather (by definition -State Annotated Code), be instead a matter (if found of substantial merit) for referral to the state's attorney generals &/or jurisdictional prosecutors (states attorneys) office for potential CRIMINAL prosecution?

Seems to me THAT would be a reasonable (and certainly cost effective) place to start. Or has this perhaps already been tried and failed? What is it I am missing here?

Just some additional thoughts/observations.

Regards,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I have not been contacted by any individual or group
member regarding this situation; therefore, it must not be a big issue.

I've talked through email with Gary Peek (my regional director) and Jan Meyer. I don’t know, but a lot of what may have gone to a regional director may have been directed to Jan because anyone up at all on the subject (although most DZOs I’m sure don’t spend much time here in the forums) knows that she’s already involved and up to speed. My guess would be that the run of the mill “fun jumper” and a fair number of DZOs, are ignorant about the whole Skyride issue.
This is one reason I’m really curious about the USPA BOD vote. Jan Meyer makes herself very available and is extremely responsive and proactive IMO (I haven’t contacted any other BOD National directors).

AC DZ

I hate contacting BOD members outside my area because A) they are not to represent me and B) I should have no reason to contact them since my RD should be the one to hear my gripes.

National BOD's... I've emailed a few of them already as a reminder as to my stance on this issue. Now if they check their emails before the BOD meeting we are golden :)
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I was bored and cruising around the net the other day when I happened upon my home DZ's web site. They accepted Skyride GC's in the past. Now, prominently displayed in red letters: "WE NO LONGER ACCEPT SKYDIVING CERTIFICATES FROM 1800-SKYRIDE! They DO NOT have a legitimate skydiving facility in the state of Utah, nor are they affiliated with Skydive Utah in any way!"

Way to go Jack!

Interesting,very interesting.I tried the new drop zone locator on the home page,entered my zip code and found United Parachute Club.Now as a member and share holder in the now defunct UPC,I read the reviews posted and found one for June of 2004 complaining of all the Skyride tricks and traps.UPC has has been closed for over 2 years.

Well, it looks like Skyrides scooped up the United Parachute Club UPC url and have it redirecting you to the "Skydive Pennsylvania" website. I found it when I was trying out the dz locator on DZ.com, and clicked on the UPC listing and then their website.>:(

Interesting,very interesting.I tried the new drop zone locator on the home page,entered my zip code and found United Parachute Club.Now as a member and share holder in the now defunct UPC,I read the reviews posted and found one for June of 2004 complaining of all the Skyride tricks and traps.UPC has has been closed for over 2 years.

Well, it looks like Skyrides scooped up the United Parachute Club UPC url and have it redirecting you to the "Skydive Pennsylvania" website. I found it when I was trying out the dz locator on DZ.com, and clicked on the UPC listing and then their website.>:(

The more linked sites that have some such reference, the more likely they are to come up in a Google seach. Several skydiving sites now have fairly prominent "SKYRIDE SCAM" notices in them, and the search engines find them.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, the problem's electrical.

Thats fine if you are searching for "skyride" but if you are looking for "Skydiving in Iowa" they won't appear at all.

BOD meeting is this weekend. I've wrote 3 BOD members... how many have the rest of you wrote and laid out your thoughts on this issue to?

If the entire BOD hears this from lots of members maybe something can be done about it.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com