ChasingBlueSky

What can we do about Skyride?

The more linked sites that have some such reference, the more likely they are to come up in a Google seach. Several skydiving sites now have fairly prominent "SKYRIDE SCAM" notices in them, and the search engines find them.

To help raise their listing they need to be on skydiving related sites as well.

The same thing is happening in ballooning as in skydiving, and we're just now beginning to step up to the plate to combat SKYRIDE and other similar unscrupulous companies.

it's only logical to combine ballooning & skydiving efforts there at some point.

Soft Landings,
Jon Radowski
http://www.njhotair.com
[email protected]

I am a skydiver and my brother is a commercial balloon pilot. He has been working with Jon on the internet projects and has been keeping the USPA up to date with his ideas. I think that it is very important that we work with both the balloon pilots and if anyone has any friends in the soaring community, let's get them on board!

What was said?

Well, skyride sent a woman to sit in on the DZO conference. She stood up and said that skyride wanted to have a good relationship with dz's and wanted to "discuss" what they could do to achieve that. Once the laughter stopped, many DZO's stood up and told their story about skyride. The DZO of Perris said that she was unaware of skyride's business practices till recently and will no longer accept skyride certificates. Many others stood up and talked about phone calls made to skyride. Several dzo's said that skyride had made negative comments about their dzs when asked about them. Comments like, " Oh, you don't want to go there, they aren't very safe...Don't go there they have the highest fatality rate in the country..."

Ben showed up after the meeting and pleaded ignorance about what was going on. ;)

So there are about 4 main movements against skyride now. 2 on the west coast and 2 on the east coast. One on the east coast is going after the marketing side of it and the other started at the end of the DZO meeting when SEVERAL dzo's pledged a significant amount of money to start a lawsuit to stop skyride's deceptive business practices.(lanthem act I believe...and bait and switch) It seems that things might take care of themselves as more and more dzo's realize what's going on. I'm just curious what dz's STILL accept their certificates.

I know one is :http://www.skydivecolumbusohio.com/pages/prices.htm

What really surprizes me is that Dave (BadDog on here) is a lawyer and he still lets the DZ associate with them.

One near Dallas I believe Skydive CowTown was accepting them just a few weeks ago.

Take a look at this map on one of their websites: http://www.skydiving.com/test/skydive_locations/skydivelocations.htm It does not have on it any of the DZ's that have Skyride warnings on them. And DZ's like Aggieland that used to accept them are on the list. Flordia is really funny. No Deland, Lake Wales, Sebastian or about 75% of the DZ's. Ohio is partially wrong since I know Tri-State no longer associates with them. Lots of the ones on the list are their virtual DZ's also. I'm not sure how truthfull the list is, but at least its a starting point to look at DZ's that might have accepted them in the past.

I'm SOOOOO happy to hear the DZO's are getting on board with this B|
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

One near Dallas I believe Skydive CowTown was accepting them just a few weeks ago.

Yes, Skydive Cowtown is still accepting them. I've spoken to the DZO and his wife about the situation. I've pointed them to this thread and the other info referenced here and they have chosen to continue accepting them for now.

I know one is :http://www.skydivecolumbusohio.com/pages/prices.htm

What really surprizes me is that Dave (BadDog on here) is a lawyer and he still lets the DZ associate with them.

This DZ's home page has a link to the a skyride page.

Might this mean that the DZ is at least partly owned by them?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I highly doubt it. Dave and the crew from the old TAS picked up and worked hard to open up after TAS closed its doors. They are a very small crew out there.

I think they have just decided to open themselfes up to other revenue sources by trying to earn money through the Google ads. Typically you can get paid a few $ a month if people are actually clicking on the ads on your page. Also I think it moves you up a touch in some of the google rankings.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I spoke to the Skyride lady after the meeting.I don't think she knew the whole story before she got there.I really believe that.More importantly, I believe she is now aware of the concerns and how we feel.Can she do anything? Who knows.Can we?Yes!!!!!

I would not trust anybody from Skyride, no matter how clueless they may seem.

It's great though, that the DZOs as a whole are going to band together and do something about Skyride. It was just a matter of time.

Ben can plead ignorance all he wants, but the buck still stops at his and Cary's feet... They will get theirs in due time.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The more linked sites that have some such reference, the more likely they are to come up in a Google seach. Several skydiving sites now have fairly prominent "SKYRIDE SCAM" notices in them, and the search engines find them.

To help raise their listing they need to be on skydiving related sites as well.

I don’t know how it would ever work out, but it would be good as I understand it if the DZ sites would link to each other. Obviously competing DZs generally wouldn’t want to link to each other, and most wouldn’t want to deal with keeping up the links. If every legit drop zone linked to each other it would defiantly push everyone up on relevant searches. Maybe DZOs could just talk to the non competing DZs that they’re friendly with and agree to link to each other. I know a lot of DZs have a good relationship, support each others boogies etc. Maybe someone else has an idea?
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

What about “link trading”. I was surfing around today, and I think it was Elsinore’s site that I saw link trading. They’ll put up a link to your site if you put a link to them on yours. I don’t exactly have a place for this on my site, but I could set up a specific “Link Trade” page. The Link Trade page doesn’t even need a link form the home, just a link on a sub page so the crawlers can follow. I do have a “Links” page but don’t exactly want 400 random links there. If we all had 400 sites point back at us, I’d think it would be well worth it. Putting up a link to your bitter rival wouldn’t even necessarily be a problem since this page could be rather random with a heading stating it’s purpose “This is our “Link Trading Page” it’s a corporative effort done solely to help those sites participating with search engine ranking. If you would like to trade with us email me at…”

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

and the other started at the end of the DZO meeting when SEVERAL dzo's pledged a significant amount of money to start a lawsuit to stop skyride's deceptive business practices.(lanthem act I believe...and bait and switch)

does anyone know which DZs are bringing the case and/or who is handling the case for them? I have to put in a significant amount of time in pro bono in order to graduate, and I couldn't think of a better way to do it than to volunteer to do research/briefs for whoever is handling the case....

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

DZO INCOMING
A Bulletin for USPA Group Members
Vol. 9, Issue 1
Jan. 27, 2004

BOD Actions Other board actions include:

An owner of 1-800-SKYRIDE appeared before the Executive Committee and was strongly urged to alter business practices within a short, specified timeframe.

Something tells me that USPA “strongly urging” the owners of Skyride will be about as affective as the 17 UN resolutions were with Saddam Hussein.

AC DZ

Something tells me that USPA “strongly urging” the owners of Skyride will be about as affective as the 17 UN resolutions were with Saddam Hussein.

Probably won't do a damn thing. But what it does do is start to build a case that Skyride was aware of it's business practices and chose not to act.

It's the same reason a manager or HR makes a point to document performance issues before they fire you - makes it a lot harder for you to come back and say you were fired for something entirely unrelated (such as discrimination).

Probably won't do a damn thing. But what it does do is start to build a case that Skyride was aware of it's business practices and chose not to act.

It's the same reason a manager or HR makes a point to document performance issues before they fire you - makes it a lot harder for you to come back and say you were fired for something entirely unrelated (such as discrimination).

Yeah, I know and you’re absolutely correct. I’m sure Cary and Ben have had the “stick” waved at them quite a lot over the last year or two, and they will continue doing exactly as they please until they’re hit with the stick a few times (the “stick” I’m referring to is figurative, although they may have had a literal stick waved at them as well). USPA taking this action is a step in the right direction.

AC DZ

Just received an interesting series of emails apparently form the Atlanta Skydiving Center. Any detectives interested in looking into it, may just be a little hoax. Kind of funny really.

Martin

from 66.223.51.27 (EHLO ns.eserver.cobalt.com) (66.223.51.27) by mta359.mail.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:35:02 -0800

The following is an email sent to you by an administrator
of "Atlanta Skydiving Center". If this message is spam,
contains abusive or other comments you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at the following address:

[email protected]

Include this full email (particularly the headers).

Message sent to you follows:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A HORRIBLE tornado has just destroyed Skydive the
Farm.........

contains abusive or other comments you find offensive please
contact the webmaster of the board at the following address:

[email protected]

Ki Ya!!!!!! Bitches!!!!!!!

contains abusive or other comments you find offensive please
contact the webmaster of the board at the following address:

[email protected]

We're BETTER than you... and We Know It!!!!

KI!!!!! YA!!!!!!!

AC DZ