ChasingBlueSky

What can we do about Skyride?

------------------------------------------------------------
ASC, however, is another issue altogether. Although ASC and Skyride share common ownership, they are separate entities. Even if the business practices of Skyride result in prison sentences for the parties deemed responsible, I know of no reason that this turn of events should affect ASC or its relationship with USPA.
=====================================

Apparantly the Better Business Bureau doesn't agree with you completely on that one Winsor. They list all of the different business names on their same unsatisfactory report.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

New take on the Skyride scam.

They're sending certificated tandem students to DZs that used to take them, with the DZ's name on it. When the student shows up and the DZ calls Skyride, Skyride asks to make an exception to help this poor person out.[:/] Its not a one time thing either.

To top it off, the new line about DZs in the area is that "they're closed for a few weeks due to severe aircraft safety problems." Which is untrue. >:(
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

------------------------------------------------------------
ASC, however, is another issue altogether. Although ASC and Skyride share common ownership, they are separate entities. Even if the business practices of Skyride result in prison sentences for the parties deemed responsible, I know of no reason that this turn of events should affect ASC or its relationship with USPA.
=====================================

Apparantly the Better Business Bureau doesn't agree with you completely on that one Winsor. They list all of the different business names on their same unsatisfactory report.

I did not mean to imply that the business practices at ASC were going to qualify anyone for a halo. I should think that the Better Business Bureau would be quite familiar with ASC, to the extent that it would pay to have a form printed up in advance to save time when filing complaints.

The differences are that ASC has something to offer and Skyride does not at all (like the difference between the Amway business model and a pure Ponzi scheme - which may be largely academic). Also, the objectionable practices of ASC are mostly merely unscrupulous, rather than solidly on the wrong side of the line of demarcation for legal activities as is Skyride.

If ASC was to lay off the most predatory of their policies and largely play it clean, they would be a worthwhile operation.

Skyride qualifies for RICO status.

Blue skies,

Winsor

Well, ok then.

There are alot of posts to read in this thread and I may have missed some so I apologize if I have, but is there any ongoing legal investigations or proceedings occuring at this time against Skyride, ASC, or the owners of said businesses? Or is this all just meaningless dialogue?

If there is, than maybe someone should start a new thread dedicated to updates on such proceedings.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

New take on the Skyride scam.

They're sending certificated tandem students to DZs that used to take them, with the DZ's name on it. When the student shows up and the DZ calls Skyride, Skyride asks to make an exception to help this poor person out.[:/] Its not a one time thing either.

I have an idea how to handle this “situation”. When Skyride asks the DZ to “help this poor unfortunate customer out” and that it’s a “one time mistake”. How about responding, “OK, just this one time, but we’ll require $250 per tandem and $100 per video”. If they agree, insist that they will be required to pay in advance (Skyride requires the customer pay in advance after all!), you’ll schedule the tandems in three weeks, and do the jump only after payment has been received, deposited, and time had been allowed for the check to clear. It’s “not their policy to pay the DZ in advance”, but they’ll just have to make a “one time exception”. When they baulk at the fact that they’ll be losing money, inform them that whether Skyride is making money is not your concern and that your DZ now requires them to pay, “gear rental fee”, “instruction fee”, “port fee”, “terrorism fee”, “aircraft maintenance fee”, “in-flight refreshment fee”, “pilot fee”, “runway fee”, “taxi fee”, “hanger fee”, “packing fee”, “blue sky fee”, “gravity fee”, “oxygen fee”, and don’t forget the all important “beer fee!”. You might even offer them a $100 discount, but when you add the additional fees back in the cost somehow mysteriously ends up unchanged.

Skyride will obviously never agree to these terms, so if you can’t get them to hang up on you, at some point I would think the appropriate and polite closing might sound something like “Fuck you very much, Good Bye!”

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

I would like to go on record to say that SkyRide is not all that bad. Many people don’t think about it but no one is bitchin when they are getting those fat checks when they take up a tandem student that comes from SkyRide. and to be honest with you, you have nothing to lose when you sign up with them I mean yea you might give them a discounted rate but so do you if a group comes out to jump and I know for a fact that SkyRide send out enough student to each dropzone that they should get the discount rate my dropzone has taken many Gift certificates and we are very pleased with it I mean we make about 35% more money now than we did before we join the SkyRide network. And I can’t complain about that. So let’s stop thinking with our ass around our shoulder and think clearly it is very smart business wise to take the students from them because if you dont there are just other DZs that will and they will just bypass the one that doesn’t and you will lose money that way because that student has already paid and they are not going to pay again to come to a DZ that don’t take the GC. IM SORRY I LIKE THE MONEY. And so does the fun jumpers when they come out and they pay less for there left tickets because of all of tandems student we get up. Everyone on here know with a king air 2 tandem can pretty much cover the cost of all fun jumper and the DZ still make money.
Live Life to the fullest and have fun doing it.

we are very pleased with it I mean we make about 35% more money now than we did before we join the SkyRide network

My DZ saw a very very very slight increase in traffic, we're talking like one or two a month, BUT having the hassle of dealing with the bullshit from Skyride on actually getting the money was a complete waste of time.

Not to mention that we would end up loosing a little bit of money on that student due to Skyride's practices.

So all in all, its not worth the hassle and its not worth dealing with the unethical business practices.

What is worth it is billboard adverts and radio adverts run by the local DZ. That will increase business 10-fold.

Callie-
Can you please let us know what DZ you own? You're in GA according to your profile and since most GA DZs (from what I've observed) are not happy with the way Skyride does business, I'd like to know who is.
The long and the short here is I don't think we're all opposed to what Skyride does as a business (clearing house for tandem certs) but we're all very concerned with the way that Skyride goes about getting the money out of the consumer (bait & switch, blatant lies, etc.).
Ethics are one thing that many businesses lack thest days. I just don't want it to end up in our world too. Skyride is taking ethics to a very low level to make a buck.

~Michael

The opinions express are solely my own and do not reflect those of any organization that I may be involved with.

I would like to go on record to say that SkyRide is not all that bad.

Fraudulent advertizing and copyright violation (aka stealing) are not all that bad? What does it take to be bad in your book?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Although you don't state what DZ you are from, and if you are from Georgia, I would have to guess ASC, which you may or may not know share the same owners as Skyride. ASC (or whatever dz name they are going by at the time) is Skyride.

Somone can make alot of money working with thieves, but you will also have to pay the consequences when things catch up with them.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

ridiculous! just last night I was talking to a friend who is going to make her first skydive next month... she's doing it as part of a group from Phoenix, and (ignorantly) the groups organizer booked their tandem slots online.... guess where they are going?? Marana!! :S

this might not seem to be a big deal to you, but in order for a group from Phoenix to go make a skydive in Marana (which may be a good dropzone, but honestly cant compare to Eloy) they have to DRIVE RIGHT BY:o:S the largest skydiving center in the world!!! Do you think Skyride bothered to mention that there was a closer option?? of course not!!

fortunately for them, she knew i was a skydiver as told me about her trip right off..hopefully things will be sorted this week...

First of all I never said I owned a dz I am however a manager of one and there is no need to get all worked up over it . You can say what you want but all of it is just talk and that’s the truth is you know it.

AND ABOVE ALL YOU KNOW THE TRUTH BEHIND THE MATTER IS THAT IF YOU DONT TAKE THE TANDEM STUDENT FROM SKYRIDE SOMEOTHER DROPZONE CLOSE TO YOU WILL AND THERE YOU GO LOSING OUT AGAIN. So just deal with it I am sure if you have the issues with get your money or the way the business is done then call them and talk to them i am sure they will take the time and talk to you and address your concerns.
I know that it may sound redundant but we really need to just stop the bitchin and think about what is important and that is the new comers to the sport and the enjoyment they get out of there first skydive and the way they act when they land and the excitement you see in there eyes and the thank they have for the tandem master and the Employees at the Drop zones all over the us. If I am wrong you can correct me but I think that is what it is all about. FUN!!!!!!!!!!!
Live Life to the fullest and have fun doing it.

It is the way things work, if they are not on the network skyride won't mention them. If the dz wants the students who call skyride they will join the network. How stupid would it be of skyride to mention the competition?
--------------------------------------------------Live for today, Love as if there will be no tomorrow!

AND ABOVE ALL YOU KNOW THE TRUTH BEHIND THE MATTER IS THAT IF YOU DONT TAKE THE TANDEM STUDENT FROM SKYRIDE SOMEOTHER DROPZONE CLOSE TO YOU WILL AND THERE YOU GO LOSING OUT AGAIN.

And all that matters is money, not following the law?:S

I know that it may sound redundant but we really need to just stop the bitchin

You means top pointing out how Skyride is breaking the law?

that is the new comers to the sport and the enjoyment they get out of there first skydive and the way they act when they land and the excitement you see in there eyes and the thank they have for the tandem master and the Employees at the Drop zones all over the us. If I am wrong you can correct me but I think that is what it is all about. FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Getting screwed over by Skyrides tends to take the fun you describe out of the experience.

I noticed you completly ignored the posts pointing out that Skyride is involved in illegal practices. Why don't you commet on that?

Derek

How stupid would it be of skyride to mention the competition?

Well, they'll mention when asked. Some of the best answers so far I've heard are that the competition "had to close after a fatality" or that "they're not open right now due to serious aircraft problems."

So they're lying when asked and spreading very serious untruths, with very serious legal repercussions...that's why they'll get what they deserve in a short while. DZOs are starting to get upset and join forces.

How many of your copyrighted pictures were stolen?

Here are 2 sites where they claim the same picture is the staff of two different DZ'z. It is really a picture taken by Brent Finley during the filming of a movie. It is the property of Brent Finley, not SkyRide.

I know for a fact there is no LA Skydiving so they are using a stolen picture to represent the staff of a DZ that does not exist. That is unethical anyway you look at it.

http://www.laskydiving.com/staffexp.html

http://www.skydive-tennessee.com/staffexp.html
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

You misunderstand, I never said it was right I just asked a question! And by the way you should not attack me because asc is the closest dz to my house. If you don't like where I jump come here and open a dz closer to me. I'll try it out and see how it compares. You guys are really not very friendly.
--------------------------------------------------Live for today, Love as if there will be no tomorrow!

Sorry you guys but you know where I jump and I work right next door to skyride and I know that statements like that are not condoned. I do hope you caught those remarks on tape.

And by the way you should not attack me because asc is the closest dz to my house. If you don't like where I jump come here and open a dz closer to me. I'll try it out and see how it compares. You guys are really not very friendly.

I have no idea where you jump and don't really care.

I took the way you phrased your question to mean if it wasn't you pictures that were stolen, what's your problem with it? I wasn't the only one that read your post that way.

That is why I responded how I did, not because of where you or don't jump. I didn't check your profile.

Derek

Sorry you guys buit you know where I jump and I work right next door to skyride and I know that statements like that are not condoned. I do hope you caught those remarks on tape.

I'm not worrying about it. I'm leaving it to the DZOs that are banding together to legally take Skyride down for all the stuff that has been stated and restated in this thread and others.

As till then, I'm not going to support or condone illegal business practices and anything that truely give our sport a bad name. Just last week we had 3 people show up to my DZ with Skyride certificates (we don't take them) once everything was explained to them, they were very very upset. Upset to the point of one called his lawyer to deal with Skyride. He did go on a skydive, even though we did not honor the Skyride scam's certificate.

If you owned a business for ex: we will use office max: so lets say you own office max and a customer called you and said I want to buy the stuff to set up a home office and they lived 20 miles away but you know that a staples was alot closer would you tell them no I don’t want your business please take it to my competitor so that they will make all the money and I will lose out. NO I DONT THINK SO!! You would let them travel those 20 miles down the road passing Staples, Office Depot and any other place so you could make that money. It all the same that is Business and that the way life works.
So with that being said the Drop Zones that are with SkyRide wins and gets more money! Simple logic if you think about it.

Futher more all i am saying is that if we take the GC we get the customers and we get paid and so does the tandem masters(so we eat)