B1029384756

Want to skydive, having trouble finding DZ

I've always wanted to learn to skydive, but recently I've been inspired by videos such as this, and it's a goal of mine to be able to do that someday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvOvd5wWMHY

The first step would be learning skydiving in general, but I can't seem to find a DZ that will let me jump. The weight limits are always set ridiculously low. I'm slightly overweight at 280 lbs, but not in poor shape at all. I've called a few places and they're all rigid about their weight limits. Is there any place near NJ that allows bigger jumpers?

For those who've been in the sport for a while, have things always been like this, or is this just exemplary of the recent U.S. trend to have one-size-fits-all policies in all aspects of life, with no room for individuals to be able use their own judgment to make decisions? Maybe it's because I don't know anything about the sport, but if lack of equipment is the problem, I don't see why I couldn't use a tandem parachute for myself only, if they'd ordinarily be capable of safely landing two men.

Any suggestions on where to go would be appreciated.

WARNING...person with low numbers speaking...take it for what you want and please correct me if I'm wrong.

Unfortunately weight restrictions are strictly enforced. It's strictly for safety purposes. The equipment is only made to handle so much force. And these restrictions are enforced by the FAA. (This sport is much more regulated by the FAA then people outside of the sport know.) You will be hard pressed to find a dz with the correct equipment for you.

I doubt you would be allowed to jump a tandem parachute. Those rigs are very different from your everyday rig. You have to have a special rating (which requires 500 jumps to get) before you're even allowed to jump one by yourself let alone with someone attached to you.

There may be a place out there that would have what you need but I don't personally know of any.

I don't mean to be a downer. Trust me, in this sport it is NOT one size fits all. There are no 2 systems EXACTLY alike. I know that I myself had to buy a made-for-me rig because I couldn't find a used one that would even come close to fitting me. And at the time I got it I weighed just under 200lbs.

Once again...I hate to be a downer but that is what I know.

Well the problem is, is that you could not easily convert tandem gear to regular format, they have extra handles and equipment specific to 2 people. The max weight (I think) for most parachutes is 254lbs, and this is exit weight. So that means 220 or so without gear. Do some research on parachutes and figure out if any are approved above that limit. I would think military gear is designed to handle higher amounts because they add additional items such as weapons etc, so if you can find a main and reserve that can handle your weight, and a harness that will allow it, then go for it! Of course, you will have to buy all of your stuff before you make a jump, which is quite an investment, don't expect any training centers to have this sort of thing laying around. Also, don't feel offended by the fact that manufacturers will not make gear to suit 280lbs, that is rather large. You represent a very small percent of people who want to skydive, and unless you are 7 foot and built like a brick shit house, you have to expect them to expect you to loose some weight before you jump. But again, read up on weight limits, I would not be surprised if the military freefall systems could handle it. (btw, with gear, you are looking at 320lb+)

I do find it surprising, that I represent such a small percentage. The average weight of people in this country is getting larger by the day, so I expected that my situation wouldn't be all that uncommon, and in fact, I expected that many such people might even post here.

What is the main danger of jumping over the weight limit of the gear? That I'd only hit the ground faster? That doesn't seem too bad for a larger person who could absorb an impact better anyway. Or is it that incidents such as cords snapping in midair could occur, which could obviously be fatal?

If I were able to buy the right equipment (unlikely at first), is it likely that most DZs would still refuse me on the grounds of weight even with my own equipment? Or that they wouldn't want to train me on my own equipment (this would be more understandable, as they might assume that I'd have no idea whether the gear is any good or not, which would be a correct assumption).

By the way, I'm not in bad shape, I'm 25 years old, 6'4", fairly strong, lift weights semi-regularly, and occasionally box and play football, so I'm not the type of person that would sustain a knee injury jumping out of a truck tractor, for example. Smoking is probably my biggest issue but I'm working on quitting this year (and hopefully not gain more weight in the process).

Thanks for the info, if anyone has any other ideas, I'd like to hear them, especially if they know anyone who has overcome this problem.

What is the main danger of jumping over the weight limit of the gear? That I'd only hit the ground faster? That doesn't seem too bad for a larger person who could absorb an impact better anyway. Or is it that incidents such as cords snapping in midair could occur, which could obviously be fatal?

This part of your post really bothers me.

A very importanct concept in this sport is wing loading. It is the ratio of your total weight with gear to the size of the canopy. There have been numerous injuries and some deaths because people did not have the proper size canopy for their skill level.

Yes...the main concern is that the equipment would malfunction (meaning important stuff could break causing you to plummet to your death) if you go beyond the weight limit. The weight limits are there for a reason.

You would also be surprised by the number of people who consider themselves to be in good shape but still get hurt. Just this past summer I saw a very experienced skydiver (somewhere around 2000 jumps), who normally makes high performance landings, hurt his knee to the point of needing surgery doing the most subdued landing I had ever seen him make. Two summers ago I saw another experience skydiver break his ankle because his foot found a hole in the ground when he landed.

I don't like bringing up stuff like this to a newbie but cockyness does not belong in this sport. It is the people who believe that they can't/won't get hurt that make up the largest percentage of injuries/fatalities.

I hate to be the berrer of bad news but you need to realize that we have all this regulations and restrictions for your own safety.

If you're longterm goal is something as insanely challenging as Wingsuit BASE, losing a 60 pounds would be a walk in the park in the scheme of things... sorry for being blunt but your attitude is soo negative... "how can I get around the restrictions" rather then "I got a goal, I will lose weight to reach that goal".

Not trying to seem cocky or offend anyone. I don't have a good understanding of exactly how things work, and am asking those questions to find out what would be a good idea and what isn't. And, my original question was about DZs that accept larger jumpers, so I'd assume that if anyone knows of any, it's reasonably safe if they have the equipment to handle me. I also don't know how tight the tolerances on the equipment are in real-world situations, how much breathing room the engineers use when rating the equipment for weight, again because this is all new to me.

I do realize safety is the primary concern, and would like to find a way to do this safely, but I am willing to accept a greater risk if that's the only way. I know that there's danger involved regardless and am not trying to game the system, but I do find it surprising that the technology so that I can jump isn't readily available. From a business standpoint, wouldn't any DZ that maintained the equipment and offered such services basically have a local monopoly, as heavier students from the entire region of the country would flock there as their only option? Or am I missing something?

As for losing 60 lbs, there's no way I'd be able to do that. At 220 lbs, I'd most likely look like I belonged in an eating disorder treatment center. I'd like to become more physically fit for reasons unrelated to skydiving anyway, but 240 lbs is the smallest I could ever see myself, so that I'd still maintain my strength and muscle mass. My short term fitness goal is to be 265 lbs with more muscle mass, but that's a second priority compared to quitting smoking, which I can feel is starting to take its toll, so I might not lose the weight this year.

So, if no one has heard of someone my size learning to skydive, what is the largest you've ever heard of? Thanks for the info, I'm open to any ideas that might work for me.

I do find it surprising, that I represent such a small percentage. The average weight of people in this country is getting larger by the day, so I expected that my situation wouldn't be all that uncommon, and in fact, I expected that many such people might even post here.

In general terms:
Out of a US population of about 301 million people, there are only about 31 thousand registered skydivers (about 0.01%). How many of those 301 million are "larger" people? On a linear extrapolation, figure .01% of the "larger" population would want to skydive. Yes, only a very few raltively speaking.

What is the main danger of jumping over the weight limit of the gear?

Worst case: Death.

That I'd only hit the ground faster? That doesn't seem too bad for a larger person who could absorb an impact better anyway.

It is a false assumption that larger people would absorb an impact better.

Or is it that incidents such as cords snapping in midair could occur, which could obviously be fatal?

That and material failing/shredding.

If I were able to buy the right equipment (unlikely at first), is it likely that most DZs would still refuse me on the grounds of weight even with my own equipment? Or that they wouldn't want to train me on my own equipment (this would be more understandable, as they might assume that I'd have no idea whether the gear is any good or not, which would be a correct assumption).

I would be hard pressed to find a DZ that would let you jump your own gear in a case like this...maybe if it was thouroughly inspected and met all FAA and USPA regulations and recommendations.

Thanks for the info, if anyone has any other ideas, I'd like to hear them, especially if they know anyone who has overcome this problem.

Hopefully, someone can find a viable solution for you. I'm sure that this is not the first time this has come up. There are a few threads in the DZ.com forums that ask the same type questions that you are asking. Do a search...here's one from 2004:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=942017;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Good luck.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Start by reading this thread

The original poster there is only 230 pounds, but there are a few heavy guys who've posted in that thread, some who were heavier than that. There are also some fairly experienced big skydivers who've posted in there and may be able to help you out. I don't know him personally, but you might consider sending a private message to someone like BIGUN.

Bottom line is that most of us here are just going to be able to tell you the party line because really 280lbs *is* very heavy, there are real safety issues that may arise with heavier jumpers and very few of us have had to deal with finding gear and instruction for someone so heavy.

In general terms:
Out of a US population of about 301 million people, there are only about 31 thousand registered skydivers (about 0.01%). How many of those 301 million are "larger" people? On a linear extrapolation, figure .01% of the "larger" population would want to skydive. Yes, only a very few raltively speaking.

Do those figures include most people who've ever jumped, including those who might have only tried it a few times or even once? I don't know what percentage of skydivers become "registered", if it's nearly all of them, then your figures make sense, but if not, that needs to be taken into account. I only don't know what percentage of the adult male population is over 220 lbs, I'd guess at least 10%, though. So, there's still probably at least several thousand heavyweights who'd want to do it if the option was there, if not tens of thousands.

Worst case: Death.

Well, there's always that possibility. I'm aware of it and accept it. That said, there must be ways to minimize the possibility aside from avoiding the sport altogether.

From my experiences such as playing football and colliding full speed with 400+ lb men, it seems counter-intuitive to think size doesn't matter, but I'll take your word as the voice of experience on this.

I would be hard pressed to find a DZ that would let you jump your own gear in a case like this...maybe if it was thouroughly inspected and met all FAA and USPA regulations and recommendations.

That's what I suspected...that if they're accepting at least some measure of responsibility for me (even if not legally, their reputation is on the line if there's a string of incidents involving fatalities novice jumpers who bring their own inadequate gear). That does compound my problem, though, in that I can't jump with their gear because it's not rated heavy enough, and I can't jump with my own (even if I could afford it, which I doubt) because I'm not experienced to make judgments on its suitability.

Hopefully, someone can find a viable solution for you. I'm sure that this is not the first time this has come up. There are a few threads in the DZ.com forums that ask the same type questions that you are asking. Do a search...here's one from 2004:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=942017;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

Good luck.

I searched for "weight" before posting and mostly found threads about weight belts (not that I know why would someone want to be heavier for this). Thanks for the info, it's all useful to me in one way or another.

I searched for "weight" before posting and mostly found threads about weight belts (not that I know why would someone want to be heavier for this). Thanks for the info, it's all useful to me in one way or another.

This brings up another excellent point. The reason someone would want to be heavier is to be able to keep up with their heavier friends in freefall (all people do NOT naturally fall at the same speed). At least at my dropzone, regardless of what equipment you had, you would have a very difficult time finding an instructor who could fall fast enough to safely jump with you and help you through your student progression. That doesn't mean there aren't places out there that could accomodate you - I've seen this question come up several times and there are a couple of DZ's that are equipped for it, but expect them to be few and far between. You may have to travel quite a way to get to one. Try searching for "anvil".

Look dude, here's the bottom line -

Sport skydiving gear is build to a specific standard to earn federal certification. The max weight specified in that standard is 254 lbs.

If you have a problem with this, you need to contact the FAA, have a new certification created, and get a manufacturer to earn approval for equipment under the new certification.

The DZ has no control over this. I'm sorry if feel it's 'unfair', but that's the way it is. Being 6' 4" and 280 lbs, I'm sure you have realized that there are many things in this world that are not made for a guy your size. Skydiving may be one of them.

Where do you live? There are dropzones that have special gear for heavier jumpers. If you tell us where you live we can refer you to such a dropzone.

That said, most dropzones don't have special gear for heavier jumpers. These dropzones will not let you jump, because at higher weight, the risk of the gear failing during opening is much higher. This results in near instant death, so it's a bad thing.

In Skydiving, proper gear choice is critical.

Once you find a dropzone with appropriate gear, then learning to skydive will be fun and easy. :)
_Am

__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

You say that you are willing to accept the risk, but there are some issues with that. You don't know enough about the sport yet to truly understand what the risks are. And whether you like it or not, this sport is not all about you, or any other individual.

Although you'll sign a crapload of waivers about the risk, if you go in because you exceed the weight limit of the gear, do you really think you are the only person that would affect? Watching a fatality will impact every person who sees it... the back yard with kids that see you fall into and make a crater, the jumpers that have to deal with losing a fellow jumper, your family that will miss you and may sue the dropzone for letting you jump gear beyond the weight limit. Regardless of you signing waivers, any lawsuit is expensive to defend, even if the DZ 'wins'... that can very well be enough to make them close their doors.

There are a lot of people involved in ensuring that skydiving is as safe as possible... DZ owners, instructors, pilots, etc, and you are asking a lot of people to violate ethics and safety rules so you can make a jump. Think about other people besides yourself when you are frustrated with the rules... it's not an attack on you individually.

Hell, I weighed over 225 when I decided to jump. I got down to 145 (and stayed at that weight for 4 years now) to do it safely.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

You've miss part of the point. It is ILLEGAL for you to jump most equipment suitable for students. Let alone inappropriate. There are non-tandem reserve rated to 300lbs. But that is suspended weight and includes all clothes and gear. About 40 lbs extra. So you would be too heavy even for that gear. Check those other threads for DZ's that have accomidated bigger jumpers. They are few.

If gear could be identified for you and you were willing to buy it it would likely cost $6000-$7000 if new. Used gear is very unlikely.

I have heard of Tandem equipment based rigs for solo jumpers but I personally don't know where your going to find it available for use.

IF you want to spend $7000 on new gear and perhaps travel around the country to find a DZ you might be able to take up skydiving. I do now one experience jumper who is probably 250-260. I've jumped at about 230. But he and I learned when we weighed much less.

If you want to invest a lot of time and money you may be able to start. But you will always have issues with gear and some activities.

I've been trying to come up with an analogous sport, but I can't think of one with LEGAL and Safety restrictions on the equipment.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Your best bet is to lose weight. Not the answer you are looking for but there it is.

A friend of mine was 250 or so when he started and got up to about 280 afterwards. After he blew up his second parachute, he decided to listen and lose some weight.
Fortunately he only blew up mains and not his reserve.

In addition there were very few people who could jump with him until he learned to fly (and more than a few laughed as I took two weight belts to the scales to load up for a coach jump with him - instant downsizing!).

As for larger people in general, they are also higher risk for injury from skydiving and we pay attention to them during the first jump course. What an average person can get away with on a student parachute may break a bigger boy.

If you havent been on a drop zone and seen skydiving, go to one; hang out and talk to the DZO and the instructors (hang out at the bonfire afterwards too). You'll get a better appreciation of what the others are saying and what the risks are.

In short, rather than getting the sport conform to you, you may have to make some changes to conform to the sport. All of the rules in place are from results of experience and blood.

Good Luck.

Major Dad
CSPA D-579

Regardless of whether there is gear available you'll probably find the AFF program a lot easier if you lose some weight.

I'm 6'1" and was 215lbs when I did my AFF and I was very awkward in the door of the Otter and my instructors said I fell "very fast" :O

Skydiving requires a lot more strength, agility, and coordination than I realized at first so it can only help to trim down.

I also severely broke my ankle on my tenth jump. Be careful--jumping out of airplanes is serious business.

Like someone said PM BIGUN. He can point you in the right direction. Military squares are rated over 300 pounds(worse case scenario). No matter what size you are impact with the ground can cause injury or death!!!

I know a guy weighs between 250-270. He opened so hard that his canopy blew up (3 or 4 cells I think)and one riser almost ripped off of the container. There are details and issues I'm leaving out, just want make you aware of what can happen.

I have taught many larger people over the years and have learned, often at their expense, that it is not worth it. I have taken first jump students at 280lbs, but they were more like 6' 7" and in very good shape. By your own admission you are 40lbs overweight; I would not even consider it.
At one DZ I worked at we had a parachute that would accommodate people your size. What we learned (the hard way) was that only the truly physically have the strength to land the parachute.
As Majordad said, if you really want this then lose the weight.

From my experiences such as playing football and colliding full speed with 400+ lb men, it seems counter-intuitive to think size doesn't matter, but I'll take your word as the voice of experience on this.

When a big guy slams into a little guy, the little guy gets knocked backwards. No matter how big you are, when you slam into the earth you will not budge it. It's a very different situation.

The heavier you are, the more energy your feet, ankles, shins, knees, femurs, hips and body will need to absorb when you hit the ground, and the greater the risk of injury.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

First off, there is no whining allowed in skydiving. Ever.:P

Ok, your challenges are going to be mostly gear based.

Most skydiving equipment is not legaly certified to handle your weight.

You have assumed correctly that Tandem equipment is, but it's mot configured for student operations.

This leaves a few options.

1) Buy used tandem gear and pay a master rigger, or the manufacturer to reconfigure it for student operations. Estimated cost for this is between $4000 and $10000 depending on the cost of the gear, and the cost to convert it.

2) Find and travel to a DZ willing to convert some gear for you. Expect a significant extra cost.

3) Find some used military gear certified to a higher standard.

4) Contact manufacturers and see if they have any heavy load options for you. Expect to pay quite a lot for this.

Now assuming you've solved your gear issue, you have the issue of training programs. You've probably heard of AFF, or accelerated freefall. You'll have the challenge of finding instructors that can jump with you safely, and this might be a difficult thing. Your fall rate is going to be very high, and if you go unstable it will be difficult for instructors to catch up and roll you over. I would be unwilling to.

I might recommend static line or IAD, but most aircraft used for S/L are small. You may be asked pay for multiple slots.

The only operation I've personally seen get someone close to your specs into a student program is SkyDance SkyDiving. find them at www.skydance.net This is not to say they are the only ones, just the only ones I've seen.

Good luck.

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Drop the weight. O want this really badly too. I started at a little over 265, I've lost 19 lbs. in 3 weeks. Just start eating right and running and working out. If you really want it you will have the motivation to do it. I kep watching videos on here helps me keep focus. Also, I really recommend running to drop the weight faster, and there is a big difference in how you feel when you start running. Good luck and make some attainable goals and go skydiving. I am planning to go at the end of April.

As someone already posted, Skydance in Davis, CA has trained someone close to your size. I think Big Mike is 250-260. He is a rockstar now! I am pretty sure that he jumped the 280 during AFF, which put him at a 1:1 wingloading. Most students wingloading is .9 or lower. When I started jumping, my wingloading was .7

You say you lift weights and box occasionally. If you are lifting weights for strength and power you are probably carbo-loading (or not paying attention to nutrition at all). Why don't you go to your boxing gym and get with a trainer and nutritionist. Tell them you want to drop 40 lbs. If you are disciplined enough to follow their coaching you will drop the weight (you might surprise yourself and 220 might not seem that crazy).
Even if you don't lose all the weight you will still feel better.