ryan_d_sucks

When did you switch?

Just wondering around what jump number people switched from flying the large student canopies to a smaller 'non-student' type of canopy. Non-student may be kind of vague-- what I mean is something that is considered a bit more sporty main than the student ones.. One you would consider buying to keep for a while.

What was your wing loading? Did you downsize incrementally, or just in one jump? What training method did you use? Personally, I put about 23 jumps on mantas before switching to over to a spectre 190 loaded at just about 1.0. I went through the static line program. This was all done of course under the supervision and guidance of my instructors. DZO and S&TA. Just curious.

What was your wing loading? Did you downsize incrementally, or just in one jump? What training method did you use? Personally, I put about 23 jumps on mantas before switching to over to a spectre 190 loaded at just about 1.0. I went through the static line program. This was all done of course under the supervision and guidance of my instructors. DZO and S&TA. Just curious.

I graduated from the AFF program in 7 jumps, put 5 more jumps on a Sky Master 295 with ripcords, and then switched to my Turbo Z 205 with a leg strap throw out. I'm not sure how big I was at the time, but the wing loading was some where between .85 and .95.

The DZ didn't have any smaller rental/student gear and the instructors were pretty evenly split between whether I should get a 190 or 210.

Something in between would have been prudent since I crashed on my first landing. I started flaring and the thing leveled out a couple feet off the ground so I stopped. The second landing was nice though.

did my AFF in 9 jumps and was on a 230 skymaster, for 30 jumps then jumped my friends 170 for 10 jumps then my own Hornet 150 at 40 jumps, wingloaded at 1.3, did 400 jumps on that before getting thw stiletto 135 i currently jump
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

At my DZ the AFF rigs were ripcord rigs. Once you had finished AFF you did 2 "conversion jumps" on a pilot 210 (the AFF rigs were skymaster 230s). There were pilot 210s and 190s as rentals and most people did some jumps on those first before getting their own gear (rental prices are such as to discourage people from using them indefinitely). Being small i was lightly loaded on those, moved down to a 170 and then a 150 where i am just under 1:1, but not keen to go to a smaller size canopy for a while yet irrespective of WL. Oh, and I did manage to break my ankles on my 2nd jump on the 170 along the way.:o

Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

I went through AFF at 2 different DZ's due to the first one closing, jumping 288 Mantas, 290,280,260, and 230 Navigators during AFF and afterwards until I bought my own rig and started jumping a Sabre2 190 at jump number 24. I jumped the 190 for 27 jumps and finally realized my wing loading was too high, UPsized to a Sabre 2 210 and have jumped it now for 47 jumps. It is a fun ride!

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

Well, lets see.

I changed from student 35' T-10s to a Competition ParaCommander when I bought the PC at 5 jumpsB|. Made my first freefall on my own rig.;) Changed to a StratoCloud when I watched the tails of the ram airs of a whole Beach 18 load making it back to the DZ and I and another guy had to land in the cemetary at about 50 jumps.:S Changed to a Cirrus Cloud when I bought new gear. (weight so far 170lbs, weight after busted leg and crutches for 6 months 220lbs +) Changed to a Raven 4 and/or a Manta when I busted up my leg going into a tree without an open parachute. Changed to a Triathlon 190 and a Sabre 190 when I could run again. Changed to a Sabre 170 when my PD couldn't fix by squirelly Sabre 190.:)
Any help? No? Sorry[:/]B|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I'd say it is often not so much a switch, but a gradual transition.

or not so gradual in some cases:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Changed to a StratoCloud when I watched the tails of the ram airs of a whole Beach 18 load making it back to the DZ and I and another guy had to land in the cemetary at about 50 jumps.:S

Ahhh...fond memories.:ph34r:
That transition period when some experienced jumpers had rounds while other had squares, was so damn much fun. Everytime a mixed load would forget to make sure a guy with a round was doing the spotting, the round jumpers would live to regret it.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Something in between would have been prudent since I crashed on my first landing. I started flaring and the thing leveled out a couple feet off the ground so I stopped. The second landing was nice though.

It was when I went from a Raven 3 to a Triathlon 210 that I got an education. On the first jump I did my usual flare, and just when I was expecting my feet to touch the ground, I popped six feet back up in the air, and got dumped on my ass.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Jump one a T-10, jump two Mk-1 PC. SO jump two.;) But over time my wings have become larger not smaller, not counting the round jumps I do where it's just, well round.

Personally, I think too many young jumpers are/get pushed into a hurry to downsize these days for no good reason other then to cool factor & the need to feel hip. I have seen a high number of people who thought they were going to still be here 5.10.15 years or a lifetime, some made it a lifetime when they died being stupid, others didn't last but a couple years before injury or their death made them move on, a few of the lucky ones are still here and are the ones telling guys like you what to buy and how to look cool.

Watch your step when following your leader.

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

The only reason to down size is to get full performance from a wing design. For a rectangular wing that may be 1:1.1 or 1.2. Or a little higher. Otherswise the only reason to down size is to go faster and the only reason to change wing is to change flight characteristics.

My goal? Land where I want softly. I'm already too small.:S Or my body is too big. (the right answer)

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I finished AFF in 10 jumps, i think all of those were on Manta 280's, then jumped our clubs Skymaster's 230's for a few jumps, then did a throw out conversion on Skymaster 200's. I kept jumping the 200's until jump number 45 or so when i switched to a Hornet 170. I was loaded at around 1.1 i think.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I jumped the student canopies until I got my A license, then bought a Falcon 235, which wasn't much smaller. Just a smooth transition. I eventually downsized to a 170 after 70 jumps, so I could have more leeway when the winds picked up moderately. I weighed 140 naked at the time.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It'll vary, dude...

...when your instructors think you are ready
...when you think you are ready
...when the canopy progression chart thinks you are ready

There are lots of posts on this topic. Find Brian Germain's canopy progressing chart. Nice rule of thumb...at least it'll keep you from getting bitched at if you are sticking around it.

Me...Manta 280 for first couple, 260 for next couple, 230 for about 20, manta 210 until jump 60 or so, rental saber 190 until about 100, a purchased saber 1 190 (I'm 230 out the door) until 485 I think, and I'm now on a 170 saber 2 for a while. I'm loading the 170 up about 1.45:1 now with my winter weight. That is currently on its way down, but I'm considering borrowing a 190 for a bit until the rust is shaken.

The Saber 1 was sportier than the Manta, but not by a whole lot. The Saber 2 feels much sportier than the Saber 1. It puts a big grin on my face.

For those of you thinking a 170 is too big...I can make my dittter deliver my 2k warning while I'm under canopy just spiraling. I can also land downwind with a 15mph wind.

Just wondering around what jump number people switched from flying the large student canopies to a smaller 'non-student' type of canopy. Non-student may be kind of vague-- what I mean is something that is considered a bit more sporty main than the student ones.. One you would consider buying to keep for a while.

Jump #1 on a Sabre 190
Jump #5 on a Sabre 170
Jump #15 on a Sabre 150

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Kallend,

That is an interesting progression. I'm certainly not one to condemn anybody's canopy choices, especially at my level. What type of training did you do that with? I'd love to hear more about it. Did you jump those at an established DZ? While it may not be popular, I'm told that off DZ training, with a pilot, a jump-master and a field DOES exist.

Kallend,

That is an interesting progression. I'm certainly not one to condemn anybody's canopy choices, especially at my level. What type of training did you do that with? I'd love to hear more about it. Did you jump those at an established DZ? While it may not be popular, I'm told that off DZ training, with a pilot, a jump-master and a field DOES exist.

Skydive Chicago AFP program.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

In my first skydiving life, I had 20 jumps on a PCH-11 (300 sf, 9 cell accuracy type canopy). Cable ripcord on the hip.

In my current skydiving life, I jumped Nav 280s and 260s during AFF.

I've been on a Sabre II 230 since my A, and will probably be there for a good long time.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706