somethinelse

Soloing Fear...?!

HELP...ADVICE PLEASE????

Aweek from this past Saturday I finished my DZ's student training program...

But I still need to get some freefall skills down and signed off my proficiency card in addition to 6 more jumps to get my "A".

I was at the DZ yesterday scheduled for a coach jump, but ended up bumped [:/](more or less) due to instructor shortage (injury) and my coach was booked solid with tandems.

My DZO said I could do a solo "fun-jump", but I really feel I need coaching to get down the back/front loops, rolls & tracking down. that is what I was scheduled to be doing yesterday.

I want every jump to be helping to move me closer to get my "A". I don't want to learn wrong techniques now, on my own, alone, and later have difficulty getting it "right".

But if getting coaching is gonna be difficult to schedule, SHOULD I just wing it, and try to teach myself? This is scary, b/c I've only made 2 solos, and am really lacking conifidence, since I KNOW that I DO have a lot to learn!

PLEASE CAN YOU GIVE ME GOOD TIPS?

THANX!
:)

Jump -- it's supposed to be fun. Maybe just go out and fall stable, admiring the view and working on what the ground looks like at various altitudes for a jump. It might make you more confident overall.

If you limit what you have to learn on a single jump to something manageable, then you can definitely do it.

Also, practice what you want -- if you can't get a coach on a jump, lay out a dive plan for a subsequent jump, and see if you can steal some time to go over it either with him or with another instructor, and then get them to critique your verbal description and your physical simulation once or twice while you're preparing.

There's nothing wrong with going out solo -- eventually, you'll be responsible for all of your jumps, and this is as good a time as any to start. It might not be the absolute most efficient way on a per-jump basis, but it's a whole lot more efficient than sitting on the ground because no one can jump with you right now.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Just work on a nice flat, on heading, track for your solos. Since most group dives end in tracking away it is a very important skill to practice, and you don't really need someone there to watch you do it everytime to get good at it.

When I don't have people to jump with I work on back flying, back tracking, and sitflying.

I also work on getting stable and flying the relative wind on the hill... if you think about it there are plenty of things to do when you are soloing. Just remember not to track up or down the flight-line. ;)
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

You're going to be jumping alone a lot at first, just absorbing the feeling and getting comfortable in the sky.

Jump, do whatever you want. Practice your sit. Practice your track (perpendicular to flight line!). Just play around and see what you can do.

With ~75 jumps, I've done maybe 20 with others, and learned a ton on every jump I've done. You gotta get in the sky though.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

Yeah-
Gotta do it to learn it...
and get comfortable inthe sky...it's just so much more INTENSE than I thought it would be alone.
Ya know?

But I see that I DO need to JUST TRY STUFF, and SEE what can be done...

I've just had somebody "holding my hand".
Trying to LEARN BY DOING ALONE is a little unnerving...
But I know it'll be all OK, but NEW to me, ya know???

Well, there is plenty to do. My suggestions are:

In free fall: read in the SIM the A license check out dive. Go up and practice it! You should have the skills to do it by now and it will be great practice!
Under Canopy: work on canopy control stuff. Do rear riser turns, see how may feet you lose doing both a 90, 180, 270 and 360 degree toggle turn, try flying in deep brakes (above your hard deck). Canopy control is important to know! Aim for an accuracy landing! You need them for your license!

I would strongly advise against trying a “sit’ as others suggested at this point. Once you get you license you can talk to experienced free flyers and get some coaching if that is what you want to do, but for now it is probably dangerous (most student gear is not free fly friendly) and it is not a good use of your money. Practice the things you need to get your license.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Here's something you might consider at some point in your solo progression.

During your freefall, pick a heading, do a practice touch and hold it for about 3 seconds. Then move back to neutral. Check your alt, check your heading. Rinse/ repeat.

Try to maintain heading as you move smoothly back and forth from neutral to deployment positions.

If you can, you'll have far fewer line twists in the jumps to come.

Plus it's kinda fun noodling out how to fly with one arm up and the other down.B|

It's easy. You'll have it in just a couple tries.

Once you feel you've got it down pat... try it with your eyes closed! :o (That should make for an interesting moment).

Your initial solo's may be a little unnerving, but they are not beyond you. You've proven that to your instructors. Otherwise they would not have approved you to self-jumpmaster.

Good luck and have fun!
“There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophies.”

Solos will help to build your confidence and help to quiet some of the nerves as you get used to this new enviroment. Both will help make your future coach jumps more productive. Just Jump!
D28695 PoPs #9237
"Mix ignorance with arrogance at low altitude and the results are almost guaranteed to be spectacular"
— Bruce Landsberg

But if getting coaching is gonna be difficult to schedule, SHOULD I just wing it, and try to teach myself? This is scary, b/c I've only made 2 solos, and am really lacking conifidence, since I KNOW that I DO have a lot to learn!

As soon as I was cleared off AFF, I went and did 4 solos before even thinking about the A requirements. While going out alone (and at a new DZ, no less) was a bit nerving, it felt great to just go out and have some fun, without the pressure of any TLOs or failure criteria beyond opening on time and landing safely. Ultimately I ended up finishing at 31, but does it really matter?

I never noticed the ground much before - I was always watching the instructor, it seemed.

HAHA

"I never noticed the ground before, just the instructor..."

YES! My low solo was SO FAST, that the rapid loss of altitude in freefall wasn't SO scary an issue...
But during my high solo, I just tried to be stable, and start and stop turns...this is NOT easy for me YET...

I was SO surprised at HOW QUICK PULL TIME CAME!
Felt like sensory over-load& feeling ground-rush!

I love seeing canopy over my head!

The Instructors at my home DZ suggest to most students to do a few solos after finishing AFF while elegible to self jumpmaster yet unlicensed just to get a chance to relax and enjoy yourself before starting back in training for A-License Coach dives and such...

It does mean that I wasn't able to get my A @ 25 jumps but I was able to have some fun... and learn to rely on myself to safely complete a skydive...

btw: I also got the opportunity to take a canopy instruction course which meant 4 of my first 25 were H&Ps...

I even did a coach jump the last time I was at the DZ that didn't sign off any of my A card requirements just because thats what my coach wanted to do... It was a fun jump and I learned a lot about belly flying...

Scott

"I'm just here to jump out..."
"Jump out of what??? This is the hospital!!"
"It is??? How did I get here?"

Hey Scott!

I'm feeling alot better today after I did some AMAZING jumps with my coach last night.
Did my first Back&Front LOOPS!
NOW I wanna do MORE of those!

I feel much more confident and will make some fun jumps this weekend. And need to starting varying how I do my exits.

HA! ...Is it always some new thing that needs to be conquered?!

WOW.

Blues!
-LiLa.

Low pressure jumping is SO MUCH MORE FUN then feeling the pressure to NEED TO accomplish something, or to HAVE TO do something new.

It's stressful, for me anyways, when I do my "firsts".
My fun jump this weekend DID NOT get anything in particular signed off my card, but I had THREE FIRSTS in that one jump, so I was nervous about them:

1. Downsized to 220 sq.ft. chute
2. Throw out pilot chute
3. & 1st X being last to exit plane on a solo.

I talked it all thru with my instructor and another coach, so I knew it was all okay and what to do, but I am still at the point in my jumping where new stuff, the unknown, can rattle me.

But everybody's really good to me and encouraging, and my jumping is really coming a long real nicely.

It was very exciting & intense for a 6500 hop-n-pop!
But it was so cool being on the flight with other low#jumpers who went out doing a 3-way, and to talk it up went I got down. VERY COOL!

IT'S ALL GOOD!

Blues- LiLa.

Well...
Got my kid all next weekend so...
IT'LL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL OCTOBER 9TH!
Maybe I'll have my "A" then and B| REALLY have somethin' to celebrate!

Do you go out to the Green Spot after jumping on Saturdays???

Very cool being on the same flight...you all are some really crazy guys...&Really put me at ease!

hia there,

just tell you about something i did when i was working on my skills..

i aimed for something and worked towards it on 90% of the jumps i did until i got it

in this instance it was my FS1 i went up and did solo dives, coached dives all learning FS skills then i had to do the assesment dive...

it was great knowing that i could fly flat relative to people exactly where i wanted (within reason) and now (in the british rules) i can jump with my friends who don't have there fs1 it's a great feeling ....

learning anything needs time and concentration and by going out and learning sit ... you won't be learning it on 1 jump, you need to go out time and time and time again, and if your trying to get your a it will be counter productive...

i'm not trying to be boring here.. each dive can be a laugh if you want it to be all it takes is a few funny faces and flipping people the bird!

your saying you think you have trouble starting and stopping turns.... for any thing you think you have a problem with... go up..... and do it and keep doing it until your happy.... always make sure theres something in your dive thats a bit fun.. like a front or backloop to keep the serious level to a minimum..

you shouldn't be scared of jumping solo.... and certainly if your last out .... you've got nothing to think about apart from your altitude awareness and your exercise (before certain others kick off about what i've just said.. i'm taking it exit seperation.. pulling stable blah blah and emergency procedures would be already automatic and not need 1 million percent attention)