oamador

Double malfunction

We just had an incident last week. One camera man usually does a half flip on the harness and holds a head down position. This is done after opening to add a upside down view as part of the video it is making.

Last week, one foot caught on a line creating a spinning main. The camera man could not untangle the line from the foot. After some spinning, it cuts the main away. Since it could not clear the main from the foot, it deploys the reserve. The reserve pilot entangles with the main and now the reserve and free bag are just floating above the camera man. He pulls the lines and the reserve out of the free bag. The whole thing is just a ball of lines and material, above him.

Luckily the reserve catches air and opens. The main is still entangle with the foot and now the reserve. Finally the main separates from the reserve and the skydiver. The reserve had a line over. On the last seconds the camera man manages to turn the reserve cross wind and lands (or crash) in the tall grass.

After watching this, it seems nothing short of a miracle he still was able to walk out of this.

I included a link to the video
Saludos
Orlando
Hispa #48 | [email protected] | www.amador.org | [url "http://www.xtreme

OMG! What a scary video.. :S
The way he opens his reserves (with his hands!) looks just terrible, but this was his only option in this case..
He can be very lucky that he is alive!

Can you translate to us what is he saying after he chrashed in?

Greetings,
Max

never forget your hook knife,
With a line over in the reservecanopy you will need it,

Sure, but with a hook knife you can also do a lot of shit if you don't cut the right line(s)... I think a reserve is designed to fly straight, even if you have a line over. The chance to mess up everything is IMHO very high..

Take care,
Max

EDIT:

I think a reserve is designed to fly straight, even if you have a line over.

Thought wrong... :) But at least it shouldn't be that much distracted by a line-over than a main. Am I right with this point? :S

Can you translate to us what is he saying after he chrashed in?

He says,

"I am sorry I didn't record your landing... But there was problems with my parachute... We will see eachother at the airport... Sorry Brother."

(editorial) with a greatful to be alive tone in his voice. (\editorial)

I think a reserve is designed to fly straight, even if you have a line over

Don't confuse a line over with a line twist.

No canopy will fly straight with a line over mal: reserve or base.

You can see from the video the canopy is turning.

There are few take home messages from this accident:

-Pull belly to earth and stay in that position!

-Never give up: he is alive because of that

It would be nice to know his WL under that reserve.
Memento Audere Semper

He says,

"I am sorry I didn't record your landing... But there was problems with my parachute... We will see eachother at the airport... Sorry Brother."

are you sure? I think it's more along the lines of:

"Great skydive...I have to go change my jumpsuit because I just SH*T myself!"

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

Just goes to show you the f-word's versatility in any language.

Glad to see he survived. My favorite part was the few seconds right after the landing when he seemed not quite sure if he was dead or alive!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

English was a little unclear. How did he get his foot entangled with his own main canopy?

After deployment, but prior to unstowing brakes, he flipped himself upside down in the harness intentionally. I've seen people do it and hook their feet on their slider/risers to keep themselves in that orientation. I also know of at least 1 (I think 2) people who've gone in because of it due to an induced turn.

Not a smart thing to do. Learn from fatality reports [:/]

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I beginning to see why some people carry 2-3 hook knives.

Yeah, I once asked one of my favorite old salty CReW dawgs why he carried so many hook knives on him (I think he carried 4). His answer? ...Because he just couldn't reasonably fit any MORE on his rig! ;)

I wonder if this jumper is going to go back to doing this "stunt" regularly again after this? Presumably he is quite experienced, etc. I too have seen someone get their foot caught doing this maneuver, although we did not realize it until he was all the way down. The foot getting caught did not induce a turn (or at least he was able to correct for it while still STUCK like this). He actually landed (and not too badly I might add) completely inverted, and we all asked him "WTF"??? :S It was only then that he said his foot got caught and he could not extricate it! He feared cutting away would not fully release the canopy (apparently similar to what happened here) so he simply did the best with what he had.

Foot (or any body part/pc of equipment) entanglements as a result of this, or intentional radical canopy collapse manuevers (another story albeit all together) can become a "hairy" situation to say the least. Unfortunately the outcome has not been so good on several incidents outside of, yet eerily similar to these for some others who are no longer with us. :(

Glad that everything turned out "okay" for this jumper here, this time around! B|

Makes me wonder though if he will do this clearly planned maneuver still, again in the future?

-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

This was a fantastic video for both the content and quality! The images were so clear. Thanks for sharing as it was a great learning experience too. It's almost too perfect with the videographer's comments at the end but that just added some humor to a scary ordeal!

Two big thumbs up and I'm glad to see nobody was hurt!!! I'm sure that was a first for him. Did he buy you guys some beer? ;););)

One's destination is never a place, but rather a new way of looking at things. ~ Henry Miller

Sure, but with a hook knife you can also do a lot of shit if you don't cut the right line(s)...

In this situation it should not have been too difficult to find the right line to cut. From the video it appears to be the one line thats zig-zagged between the risers and lines... Real nice and easy to cut/reach.

I LOVE long grass... Its the best to crash land into.

In this situation it should not have been too difficult to find the right line to cut. From the video it appears to be the one line thats zig-zagged between the risers and lines... Real nice and easy to cut/reach.

Yes, that's right, from THE VIDEO and the nice snug comfy-ness of your computer-chair, your couch or wherever it is you may be SITTING! :S HELLO...

Talk about your "arm-chair quarterbacking"! >:(
ENTIRELY DIFFERENT STORY I'M SURE, LIVE-TIME and IN THE SITUATION!

I sincerely hope that if you were ever faced with the same, you would do as well. ...Or as well as you so clearly percieve from the safety of behind your computer screen that you would! [:/]
coitus non circum - Moab Stone