oamador

Double malfunction

9 shits and 6 fucks given the situation it ain't bad! I would have probably doubled that!

I did just watching the video! Fucking incredible!:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Wow, where'd that attack come from?

First of all the gentleman in the video did an excellent job with the tools that he had. He walked away from a fatal situation. Ya just can't do any better than that.

I should seriously hope that any skydiver in a similar situation...with a hook knife, would be able to recognize horizontal lines between risers where there shouldn't be any lines at all.

As for analyzing the situation and posting my opinion. Thats what this forum is all about. Its all about the arm-chair.

First of all the gentleman in the video did an excellent job with the tools that he had. He walked away from a fatal situation. Ya just can't do any better than that.

I should seriously hope that any skydiver in a similar situation...with a hook knife, would be able to recognize horizontal lines between risers where there shouldn't be any lines at all.

As for analyzing the situation and posting my opinion. Thats what this forum is all about. Its all about the arm-chair.

Eh, I kinda agree with him.

In this situation it should not have been too difficult to find the right line to cut. From the video it appears to be the one line thats zig-zagged between the risers and lines... Real nice and easy to cut/reach.

There are 3 lines involved with the jumper/canopy tangle.

In the 14 seconds between clearing the line twists and impact with the ground the jumper managed to clear the trailing main, unstow the toggles and control the canopy to a landing.

I think most jumpers would have not unstowed their hook knife much less figgured the problem out in that amount of time. Heck Tom A. took about 15 seconds from initial canopy inflation to cutting the brake like he chose in this thread. That was arguably a less stressful situation as well with someone prepared for the out of the ordinary. Rigging in mid air can't be that easy.:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

My first thought when I read BlueEyed's post was basically the same as you're pointing out; Chris was too low to do anything other than ride it in. I also thought that the response to BlueEyed's comment was a little out of line. Slamming the guy for drawing the wrong conclusion in analysing the incident isn't that productive. Simply saying he was too low to use a hook knife is good enough. This isn't Speaker's Corner.

Way to go Mini-me!

just a question, not about this event, but....if you had a reserve canopy open that looked like the one in the video, and you had a little more time,(more than a few hundred feet) would you hooknife the zigzag line or unstow your toggles first, to try & clear the mess?

me personally I think that 'if you had enough time' is a really big if. In that situation I don't think I would spend any time looking at my altimiter and all of my time just trying to get a controllable canopy over head and then preparing to land. But If I had a couple of thousand feet and a somewhat controllable canopy over head I might consider making changes to the canopy with a hook knife. It all depends on how reliable I would believe the canopy is. I wouldn't want to make a manageable situation into an unmanageable with a wrong choice with the knife.

Bottom line if you have your last chance over head and it is working, do you really want to fuck with it?

"Attack"? I certainly did not see it as an "attack" nor was it intended as such. I'm sorry that it has been apparently taken that way, as is clear also by your last night's PM to me that I had not yet had a chance to get back to, before you have now even further "opened this up" in here.

Had I read that PM in such time (just now) to have, and I quote (as you "suggest"): "get in here and edit it, and "tone it down"... I would have been HAPPY to Jason, seeing as how you have apparently taken my statements. But you know what? Not only is that little "edit" operation no longer apparently available to me here this morning to do so ...so I CAN'T; I now, even more than ever in further consideration, and seeing your response now in here instead, completely STAND by those statements!

I would suggest you re-read them, and re-think your clearly emotional, and now out-of-line visceral reaction to them. However, if the greenies do feel as well that it was an "attack", I'm sure that I will hear about that, and my post can be deleted; as my understanding is that kind of stuff is not tolerated in here, which I fully support and will abide by. But where all this IS "out here" now, and YOU are further instigating it in here, let me have (or "take" where apparently need be) the opportunity to clarify...

Although you have taken somehow apparently, my post as a personal attack, I will reitterate and assure you that it was not. I do indeed SINCERELY hope (just as I stated) that if you are ever faced with the similar (or even same) situation as this jumper in the video, in REAL LIFE YOURSELF, that you CAN handle it as well as you clearly THINK (and I do believe that you believe) you can. How is that an "attack"? Sorry, but again, I MEAN those words. To NOT TO, would be an ill will upon you, which I would think could rather be interpreted instead, much more easily THAT way as an "attack".

Also, to sit and post-event review a VIDEO, from the comfort of one's own home (or office, or what-have-you) IS by it's very definition, "arm chair quarterbacking"! ...So again, please point out to me where that is an "attack"?

Jason, I stand by my post, and it is my observation that you need to THINK, ...realistically, and honestly with yourself, that's all. I do, again SINCERELY hope that you can.

Blue Skies,
-Grant

*(edited to correct for some of MY clearly un-called for, and then even further "provocational" retort, which is in no case called for in here, and to anyone who may have read it in the interim; I also now, do duly, and sincerely apologize)
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

After watching this, it seems nothing short of a miracle he still was able to walk out of this.

You can say that again. I'm amazed at everything in this video. When he's handling the reserve it just looks like a ball of lines and nylon fabric. I find it incredible that it opened too.

I have sent you a "Private Message", so if you would like to check your "message" link above, I have saved the video to disk, and would be happy to provide it to you in as an e-mail attachment, if you return my "PM".

-Grant

just a question, not about this event, but....if you had a reserve canopy open that looked like the one in the video, and you had a little more time,(more than a few hundred feet) would you hooknife the zigzag line or unstow your toggles first, to try & clear the mess?

Me personally, I would pump the breaks a few times to try to fix the line-over. That is what I was trained to do to resolve that malfunction. If that didn't work, and I was coming down fast like he was, I would then cut the offending line.

I watched the video at least six times. Then in stop action. Then I downed 3 glasses of wine.

Needless to say, I am glad he made it. And proud of him.

But regardless of this, nothing will stop me from going to Puerto Rico to visit him and make a tandem jump with him.

This mother's son has already given her plenty of bragging rights, but a little more can't hurt.

And Chris, I loved the ending to your movie!! Love, Mom.

But regardless of this, nothing will stop me from going to Puerto Rico to visit him and make a tandem jump with him.

Excellent! A big virtual "high five" for not letting this affect your own dreams.

And Chris, I loved the ending to your movie!! Love, Mom.

I was rather impressed that despite his significant "emotional event" he endeavored to give the customer what he paid for.
Arrive Safely

John

You must have gotten your "link" instead to work then? ...Because I got an error report that the file was too large to pass through your server from my send, unfortunately. [:/]

I too would jump with Chris (well, not tandem maybe... but...) and would be honored to, ANY TIME! :)
Blue Skies,
-Grant

Thank you for your help. I guess my e-mail response didn't make it.

I went to my daughter's house and watched it there. No audio, but having raised him, I can well imagine...

I know he's "my baby", but all of you out there are somebody's baby. It warms a mothers heart rt to know what a brotherhood exists among you in the sport.

All of you stay safe. And thatnk you again for the help in seeing the video.

Me personally, I would pump the breaks a few times to try to fix the line-over. That is what I was trained to do to resolve that malfunction. If that didn't work, and I was coming down fast like he was, I would then cut the offending line.

I think that if you look at this video closely, that is precisely what this jumper did. He made, at least what looks to me like one vigorous "pump" of his brakes/toggles (which did not clear it). However, I would submit that by the time he finished that, and if you examine the video accordingly, he was already WAY TOO LOW at that point to have successfuly cut the offending line(s). Looks to me that almost immediately after his 1st reactionary attempt at correcting this (after having basically HAND DEPLOYED his reserve too I might add!) by his one vigorous pump of the breaks, he BARELY even had enough time at that point to attempt a full flare (which he also did) and "hit".

Agreed though, that given sufficient altitude, cutting the "clearly identifyable" offending line would have also been an appropriate course of action. However, for this specific incident, let's say he was even by some miracle, able to be that "lightning" quick (and accurate) with his hook knife. At that low to the ground, cutting the line also most likely would have caused the canopy to "surge" as the airfoil more rigidly re-formed. I think, that at least for this incidence, and as it has played out on video for us all to see, that this jumper did exactly, and EVERYTHING he possibly could, and fully "correctly" under the circumstances.

We are all very fortunate as well to have the ability to examine this further now, as we all are, accordingly. ...(What I had called earlier "armchair quarterbacking" ;)) ...and for which now I'll take this opportunity again to publicly apologize, if that came off to ANYBODY as in any way "antagonistic". :)

-Grant

No audio, but having raised him, I can well imagine...

Let's just say you probably would have washed his mouth out with soap! ;)

I know he's "my baby", but all of you out there are somebody's baby. It warms a mothers heart rt to know what a brotherhood exists among you in the sport.

It's so cool that you see all of that for your son. I'm working hard to bring my parents around to the same understanding, and I think they will come around, in time. I hope you and Chris have a wonderful time on your tandem!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I just wanted to thank everybody for the compliments and the critiques. I'm very lucky to be able to even write this after that mal.

After cutting away, when I reached with my left hand to try to clear a line from the main that was just behind my right knee, I saw I was going through 1700' and still falling fast in pretty much a head down position. At this point I thought just roll over and pull reserve. I knew I was taking a chance with main/res entanglement but if I had spent more time trying to clear the line, there would have been no time at all for reserve to inflate.

As for cutting the line over with a hook knife, I don't think I had enough time at all. The reserve barely wanted to fly and I was lucky to get the main off of me. When I did, you can see me go into a line twist in the opposite direction of the first one. It was all I could do to keep the reserve flying somewhat stable.

As for my Spanish at the end of the video, you can tell my adrenaline was really pumping by some of the words I said wrong.

Mom, hope we can time it right for you to jump with me on my 1000th.

Today is the first day my back feels good enough to jump but it could have been a lot worse.

Thanks again everybody and hope to see you all in 11 days at the boogie.

Problems just be opportunities in der workin' clothes.