peanutgallery

How do you feel about people bring their dogs to the dz?

It depends on the DZ. I would encourage you to respect the DZ rules (whatever they may be),

At The Farm, dogs are welcome (yes Andy, welcome :D) and accepted as part of the atmosphere - it's also the most family friendly dz with plenty of kids. I wouldn't trade it for the world. You'd be amazed how many tandems, and families, love the environment Hans and Greg have cultivated.

Anyway, I have a similar mix - a sweety named Chaos (pic attached). They look like siblings :)
Ian

Performance Designs Factory Team

I don't "get it" and I guess I'm never going to "get it".

I personally think it's rude to expect people to have to put up with, in any way, shape or form, your pets.

If there is a special place at the dz where pets will not interact with other people, then ok, fine. But if the pet is allowed to do ANYTHING that bothers somebody in a general area, including just taking up room in a crowded packing area, then it's just rude.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

But if the pet is allowed to do ANYTHING that bothers somebody in a general area, including just taking up room in a crowded packing area, then it's just rude.

The same could be said about some skydivers.:P;) I have had skydivers spill beer on my gear but never had a dog piss on it.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

I find it interesting that dog owners seem to be in denial! Including my sister. She and many dog owners will say to their dog, over and over, sit! stay! no! to no avail and continue and continue and continue. I personally love dogs, just not at the drop zone.
Dano

What are people "putting up with" exactly? If it's a quiet dog that is on a leash somewhere away from the packing area and spectators, and the dog just lays in the shade the whole day....what exactly is the burden on other people?

I will say that I spent the day at another dz today and when asked why I had to leave early I was told to bring the dog next time so I could hang longer, not a problem at all. I will. Hopefully it's not your dz :S.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke

Nope, not in denial just don't like it when you 100% ban all, good or bad. No one including me wants a bad dog, kid or person at the DZ but that does not mean all are bad.

Besides, 78% of the respondents in this poll seems to think it is okay too, or are they in denial too?;)

Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

Hi PG

I'm wondering if jumpers would go for a doggie daycare service at the DZ. Maybe $10/day includeing shade, dogmates, pooper scooper, fenced area fresh water, swimming pool, video, coach's etc.

R.I.P.

What are people "putting up with" exactly? If it's a quiet dog that is on a leash somewhere away from the packing area and spectators, and the dog just lays in the shade the whole day....what exactly is the burden on other people?

None! Those aren't the ones I was talking about. I specifically said the ones that are bothering someone.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

[Disclaimer] I have a dog [/Disclaimer] As long as your dog isn'y bothering anyone, then its OK. As soon as bothers (and that can be anything from looking, licking, barking, walking, just being there) one person, then the dog should leave.
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

Nope, not in denial just don't like it when you 100% ban all, good or bad.

If you ban all dogs, its a policy. If you ban one guy's dog, its personal. One way or the other, why start a fight?

You'd be really suprised how many people tolerate. I'll put up with your dog and the next guy's dog, but only out of basic politeness. I hate dogs. I'd prefer people brought pet flu virii. I don't hate "big dogs" or "yippy dogs" or "bad" dogs. I hate ALL dogs. Even skydiving ones. You'd never know it, and in my experience dog people would never understand it anyway. So I'll try to ignore your little angel and when it demands attention i'll scratch its head , and when it runs amok I'll stay quiet, and when you come over to gush about it, I'll have somewhere else to be.

Its not my house, so its not my rules. Were I a DZO, no dogs. Ever. 100%

I like dogs at the dz.

Well well trained and behaved dogs can roam around for all I care. There is one at our dz who is off leash all day. She listens very well, plays fetch, stays away from canopies.

The only thing I can't stand is a dog that barks continously.

Kona would be more than welcome @ CPI Keri.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

One thing you can do if there's a shady spot, is to build an enclosure (they make metal fencing pieces for this -- look at the pet store) to keep her in at some convenient place at the DZ. That way she is close, and others don't have to worry about her getting into the way.

Something like this. Wont' stop barking, but contains waste so you can take care of it, and keeps her safe and in one place. Even if the dz is dog friendly, having one along makes it clear that you consider your dog to be your responsibility, which will do nothing but help.

And I completely understand -- as a rule, we don't stay for partying after the day because we have a dog waiting at home...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Gerstein, I love you. :)
Two of the dogs in that series are mine: the unbelievably adorable puppy on the last page (who is now grown) and the older handsome brown one licking my face (my ex has custody now, but I have visitation rights).

Milo (recent picture attached) has come with me to the dz since he was tiny. He does bark annoyingly on occasion, when he can see me but can't be near me, but so long as I keep him tied up away from the main hangar, he's fine. He stays near the parking lot and gets lots of attention from people walking by. He's VERY sweet and friendly; everyone - regular jumpers, tandems, visitors - seems to love him. He's our little greeter, and is actually great PR for the dz.

It really depends, I think, on the owner as much as - if not more than - the dog. If the owner is responsible, picks up poop, doesn't let the dog go where it isn't supposed to (i.e. near parachutes or planes), etc., there shouldn't be any reason not to allow them. They're like kids: you may or may not like them, but people have a right to have them. If they're not bothering anyone, then it should be okay to bring them. If you don't like 'em, you don't have to play with 'em.

May the (relative) wind take your troubles away...

I'm really finding humor in some of these points. I can totally understand that not everyone likes dogs, I personally, don't like cats. Whatever. But some of these comments, if pertaining to dogs, should pertain to people as well. I can definitely name a few people around the dz that there mere presence "bothers" most people, according to your policy, they should be banned.
Like I said, I understand that dogs are not everyone's thing, in fact some people hate them. My point for this post was to find the general consensus which seems to be spit down the middle. However, I've found two other dz's in my area that will welcome my dog and if people there have a problem with her, I'll direct them to take it up the people who invited her ;)
Let me clear up another point, I need to bring my dog out of necessity if I want to drive to a dz away from home. At least if I want to make it a worth while day, with gas prices, it's not worth it to drive 2 hours, make one or two jumps then drive 2 hours home just to let the dog out. Just trying to make my life a little easier and gain more experience by being able to jump with different people.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke

I like dogs and I like kids.
I don't like dogs that shit wherever they please. I picked up 4 piles outside of my camper this weekend - I do not own a dog.>:(
Dogs are not allowed in the hangar at the Farm. This is becoming laughable because each week that rule is enforced less and less. It seems that only the people who do NOT own dogs enforce that rule.
The couches and the new carpet are becoming flea infested. I don't sit on either of them anymore.
Do I want dogs left at home? - no.
Do I want owners to enforce the rules and clean up their dog's crap? - yes.
Do I really believe that will ever happen? - no.

Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

78% of the respondents in this poll seems to think it is okay too

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

As I read it, it's 40% that say yes, PROVIDED they're well-behaved AND on a leash. Presumably that means that barking dogs or those which are allowed to roam free (read: "poop wherever") would not be welcome. Only 23% say yes unequivocally. Only by adding them up do you get 63%.

The 9% that say, "Eh, if you must..." would really prefer dogs not be there; they just tolerate them; so that should not be lumped in with "Yes".

So one could just as easily say that No gets 30%; Yes gets 23%; and Maybe/Maybe Not gets 45%.

I have three dogs. Only one of them is allowed to come with me to the DZ, the others stay at home. Reason? The oldest one will bark at me whenever I'm too far away for her. Though she is very polite and well behaved to people and listens to others as well as myself, I just don't want her to bark all day. It will annoy not only myself but others as well.

The middle one, Jack Russel, is a sweet thing and doesn't bark. But he doesn't listen that well.

The youngest, Australian Shepherd, listens very well, doesn't bark, en is nice to everyone who might want to approach him. Whenever he comes with me, I make sure he is either outside on a leash, or if inside, on the side of the packing area, on a leash as well. It is my dog, so I have to make sure that he doesn't bother anyone, he doesn't stand in the way, and most of all, doesn't walk in the packing area. Our DZ is not at the airfield but a small ride away, when he's there, (when I'm photographing) he's on a pin in the ground at the outside of the DZ.

He owns a real "dropzone dog collar" and is a well accepted dog at my home DZ. However, I wouldn't just bring him to any other DZ unless I was sure dogs were welcome. If not, that is a rule I have and will accept.

A jumping buddy also has a dog who comes frequently, and she is also accepted at the DZ by all jumpers.

My home DZ is in the Netherlands btw. Not sure about other DZ's here. And I asked the staff before I brought him. Now he's like a mascotte.

I've attached a pic of my three dogs and one of the youngest with his collar. Has a 3-ring release and pillow... LOL

Anyway, to make a long story short, I love to bring my dog, but won't do so if a DZ doen't want me to. I make sure he doesn't go places he shouldn't, and walk him to a place where there is room for him to do whatever he needs to do without people stepping in it. That is my responsibility. It is my dog.
(O and they all get flee/tick treatment.... :)
Blue skies,
Illona

Don't try to live forever, you will not succeed!

Some dogs are awesome and fun to have around the dz. Problem is, though, that lots of pet owners think their dogs are better-behaved than other people think they are.

linz

Same goes for people who bring their children. Little fuckers broke my mom glasses after they were told many time to stop throwing the ball around the hanger. Not one parent of those fucking kids owned up to their kid being responsible. Funny thing is, after watching a few video's it was apparent in the background and I confronted the brat and her parent and no apologies were given and certainly did not offer to pay.

j

p.s. I love dogs.
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Dogs in general scare me, but I don't mind if people bring them as long as they keep them in control. We have very sweet ones around our DZ, but I have been chased in the landing area by my own man's dog when she got loose from her leash. It's rare, but it happens. It wasn't fun.
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity