katecooper

Shameless plug--vote for movie about Dan BC

I've received an email about a potential movie project involving none other than our very own Dan Brodsky Chenfeld. The treatment for his movie and script is being looked at for possible financing and there is a "vote for" option. The more votes any treatment gets, the better the chance it gets funded, simple math. You certainly do not have to go through with it and it does require registration--but to have a movie about skydiving that doesn't involve drug running would be pleasant, wouldn't it?

Dear friends of Dan B.C. and/or skydivers in general!
Dan B.C. is a living example of setting and achieving goals. One of his perhaps little known but longtime goals has been to make a mainstream movie depicting skydiving and skydivers in a positive and more realistic light than previously before seen on the bigscreen. It turns out that Dan’s own story is the stuff great movies are made of: In 1992, he made an amazing, almost impossible, comeback from devastating injuries incurred in the twin otter plane crash at Perris Valley to compete in the 1992 Nationals. His perseverance and courage during that time inspired many. It’s a real triumph-of-the-human spirit story. From this story, we co-wrote a screenplay titled “Above All Else”.
A production company called Audience Alliance makes films that “entertain, enlighten and inspire” and they seem very interested in financing our movie.
However, prior to Audience Alliance "green lighting" (giving the okay to) a movie idea, they ask members for feedback. A positive response does influence the final decision. So that’s where you and our skydiving family comes in! We’re asking all our friends, and friends of friends, to join the FREE MEMBERSHIP and fill out the survey for Above All Else. It can really make a difference.
Here’s what to do:
1. Go to: http://www.audiencealliance.com/studio/aboveallelse/aaetreatment.php. Read the Treatment (synopsis) of what the story’s about. If you want to check out other information, at the bottom of the page are buttons for Slideshow (photos), and three articles on Dan.
2. When ready, Click the green “Greenlight” button on the Treatment page (the link above). A prompt will come up to either “Join Now” or “Log In”.
3. Click the “Join Now” button. Fill out, choose a Login Name and Password, and click “Join Now” at the bottom.
The confirmation email may take a little time to show up. Once it does, an Email will come with a link to verify your email address. Once you click on that, a Confirmation will be sent confirming your Login and Password info.
3. Go back to: http://www.audiencealliance.com/studio/aboveallelse/aaetreatment.php. Click the green “Greenlight” button again, and this time click the “Log In” button, Log In, and the survey should pop up.
4. Fill out survey and Submit.
For further kicks, check out their main page: www.audiencealliance.com There is a little video of a guy that they made announcing our movie.
Just below that is Norman Kent’s famous Sunset Skydiving photo with information on “Above All Else” next to that.
Thank you for taking the time, and making a difference to help bring a great story to light.
************************************************************************************

Thanks to all who take the time to read and vote!
blue skies
kate

Sounds like a super idea to me ! Most of the past commercial Skydiving Movies have such strange unrealisitic storylines as you say. Skydiving is somewhat paralell to Surfing....it has all the hot scenery, action and even women. But like surfing Hollywood never quite gets it right....however surfing has done real well with films like "Step into Liquid".
Of course I still own Drop Zone, Cutaway, Terminal Velocity, etc DVDs. but also the real Skydiver movies like all Norman Kent & Joe Jennings stuff.
Hopefully if the Dan BC movie gets done they will film at the real DZ Locations also ! I volunteer to be first extra hired at Perris, I"ll even work for jump tickets.:)

A film about DanBC I'd like to see.

A film about DanBC made by a teetotall, homophobic, christian propogandist production company I'd like to see much, much less...

Agreed... and your post made me look into the company a little more. It does sort of make you wonder how well this company can accurately represent the world of skydiving if they make the film match up with their stated "virtues and values" (linked from the main page of the site). :D Emphasis added is mine.

LANGUAGE
Scripts will endeavor to use language to its full and proper potential. Creative writing will take the place of profanity. Profanity will not be used in AAMPS films. Neither the name of God (in any language ie Arabic-Allah) nor that of Jesus Christ will be used in vain.

Because skydivers never swear.

SEXUALITY
AAMPS films will not include nudity or sexually suggestive scenes. When love and romance are essential to the story, as they often are, these relationships will be handled with integrity, modesty and chastity.

And there's no nudity at dropzones.

STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOUR
The use of drugs, alcohol and tobacco if essential to the story will never be shown in a positive or attractive way.

No beer, either.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Our biggest (bigger than Nationals) yearly FS competition is the Tomscat Trophy, a memorial for the 2 Dutch jumpers, half of an up and coming FS4 team called Tomscat, that died in that crash. I have competed in the Tomscat but didn't know all that much of the history behind it.

This would be an inspiring movie.
I copied your post to the Dutch and Belgian skydive forums.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Agreed... and your post made me look into the company a little more. It does sort of make you wonder how well this company can accurately represent the world of skydiving if they make the film match up with their stated "virtues and values" (linked from the main page of the site).

Exactly. Unfortunately for those who think that this might portray the 'real' world of skydiving to the masses - somehow I think the drug running stereotype might be closer to the truth!
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

such strange unrealisitic storylines as you say

Hmmmm.... not quite as strange and unrealistic as you might think.

We've got Roger Nelson who owned the only skydiving Herc in North America, and was convicted of running drugs to finance it.....

We've got a well-known pilot/dzo who was suspected and tried for killing his ex-wife....

We've got a former DEA agent who bounced in someone's driveway in Virginia with 3 duffle-bags full of coke, a couple of guns, some knives, and night-vision goggles.....

A plane crashes with contaminated fuel, killing all skydivers aboard, amid allegations of a drug-deal gone bad.....

Several high profile skydivers that I know (and you will have probably heard of) have spent time in jail for various money-making schemes.....

And of course a guy who held up a passenger plane demanding a large ransom and jumping out the plane later over unknown terrain at night.....

I mean, what can be stranger than reality???
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

A film about DanBC I'd like to see.

A film about DanBC made by a teetotall, homophobic, christian propogandist production company I'd like to see much, much less...

Agreed... and your post made me look into the company a little more. It does sort of make you wonder how well this company can accurately represent the world of skydiving if they make the film match up with their stated "virtues and values" (linked from the main page of the site). :D Emphasis added is mine.

LANGUAGE
Scripts will endeavor to use language to its full and proper potential. Creative writing will take the place of profanity. Profanity will not be used in AAMPS films. Neither the name of God (in any language ie Arabic-Allah) nor that of Jesus Christ will be used in vain.

Because skydivers never swear.

SEXUALITY
AAMPS films will not include nudity or sexually suggestive scenes. When love and romance are essential to the story, as they often are, these relationships will be handled with integrity, modesty and chastity.

And there's no nudity at dropzones.

STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOUR
The use of drugs, alcohol and tobacco if essential to the story will never be shown in a positive or attractive way.

No beer, either.

I dont see any conflicts there, it's meant to be a story about some parts of DBCs life not a documentary on the darker sides of dropzones.
I dont know Dan but i would hazard to guess there is a bit more to him than a swearing boozing streaker
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

*bump*

sent in my vote, and forwarded to a few people.

To those who have issues with this movie, just remember... no matter what they do, it should outshine the current standard set by "Dropzone" and "cutaway":S.

"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I dont see any conflicts there, it's meant to be a story about some parts of DBCs life not a documentary on the darker sides of dropzones.

Darker side? In whose opinion? We're all adrenaline junkies here. By definition, we do drugs for fun. Legal drugs made by our own bodies, but we still get a high from it and WE LIKE IT!

That said, the sex, drugs and foul language seen at DZs everywhere are part of the human condition at just about every social gathering, regardless of venue, to various degrees. A movie about Dan's life can be done within a framework that minimizes those aspects of a DZ.

Remember, this is a movie about Dan, and how he came back from tragedy to triumph. Not about DZ culture. His personal journey didn't involve orgies with the Arvin Good Guys, or parties with the Herd. He stuck to the straight and narrow, and hung with the best FS skydivers of the day. They were, and are, too busy training and making ends meet to be doing too much of anything else.

It is said that top FS people are out of touch with the weekend skydivers. Well, duh! These people come out and train hard, then go to bed. The rest of us come out, jump a bit, then party. A significant difference in lifestyle. And it's been that way for over two decades.

So, yeah, a movie about Dan that doesn't have much to do with drugs, outrageous sex and parties until dawn will probably accurately show a side of skydiving culture that a lot of us right here on the DZ don't really see much.

I mean, come on, people, how often do we see members of Airspeed, of any generation, being stupid drunk with the rest of us and acting silly every weekend?

You want to be the best in the world? You gotta pay the price. Don't believe me? Ask any one of them who's been there, or working towards it.
Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666

Airspeed..Party???? N E V E R!!!!!;)

LOL. I was just thinking the same thing... :D:D:D:D Kinda like the Golden Knights... :)
As for FS teams, I agree, they train hard and then leave.

However, a story I heard about a VRW team a few years back:

"...so we were partying all night and when he was running for the plane half in his rig and suit he stopped, yakked his guts out... We took 1st..."
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Hee - that reminds me, the 8-way team I was on in '79 - '80 was called Nexus, and we would party a lot on Fridays and Saturdays, train all weekend.

We had this one guy, Mike Garonski, who would always feel a bit under the weather every morning. We're training out of an open small door Beech 19, and he'd sit by the door on every jump. Good thing, too, because he'd yak on the first and second load every day. He even wrote a paper on the art of "aero dynemesis". Basically recounting how he managed to get the angle just right so it wouldn't paint the aircraft, his helmet, or the downwind side of his face. He certainly had lots of practice.

Hey, Mike, if you're still out there, say hello!
Mike Ashley
D-18460
Canadian A-666

Count me in- this will be an inspiring movie and a much needed insight for the general public into the REAL world of skydiving! Thanks Kate! B|

+1! I can't wait to see this progress!
www.theflystyle.com

"When once you have tasted flight you will always walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward: for there you have been and there you will always be." -L.D.

Hi gang, as a skydiver and the producer of this film, I just wanted to add a little something. While there are indeed many facets to skydiving, in this instance we'd like to portray the great parts of our community, our sport and this part of Dan's story that are every part as real as anything that might be portrayed as negative. We want parents to take their kids and teenagers to see it and for all of them to leave with the highest appreciation for skydiving and skydivers. If we have to leave out the drugs, profanity and sexual content to present the wonderful side of skydiving that we want them to see, we will. AAMPS has the same vision in mind. They're not the only possibility, but they seem to be a viable one.
Thanks to everyone who has expressed enthusiasm and support. Dan and I are extremely gratified by many well-wishes he has received. We hope to make you all proud. If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, would love to hear them. Please feel free to contact me. Thanks, Mary Pat Avery [email protected] [email protected]